Funny automotive/baseball quote

TomCat said:
Kebab gud said:
what do NASCAR engines push out these days?'

This is more powerfull .. yets its not even there most powerfull engine
http://www.toyota-f1-media.com/img/tf106_engine.jpg
Depends, there are many builders and they, like F1, don't usually go into detail about what their motors produce. But most of the "cup-car" engines produce around 800hp, which ain't bad for a motor that uses "stone age technology" and only costs around $30,000 to build.

Really? Only $30,000? I'm dead impressed by that (seriously) - I'd assumed they cost a lot more than that to build.

TomCat said:
Yeah, those F1 motors are killer, but it's a V10 and I'd hate to see the production cost.

To be pedantic - they're V8s now.

fbc said:
TomCat said:
Kebab gud said:

Depends, there are many builders and they, like F1, don't usually go into detail about what their motors produce. But most of the "cup-car" engines produce around 800hp, which ain't bad for a motor that uses "stone age technology" and only costs around $30,000 to build.

Really? Only $30,000? I'm dead impressed by that (seriously) - I'd assumed they cost a lot more than that to build.
Hmmm... It's hard to say. Each builder is different. Cosworth's Nascar engines cost $30,000, but that doesn't include any of the final assembly and tuning of the engine. Hendrick states their engines cost $45,000 to build, but they also state that they make "over 800hp" while Cosworth only states 775hp. But Nascar motors can be rebuilt and used an average of 15 times before being scraped. Hendrick states it costs $28,000 to rebuild a motor.

TomCat said:
peter3hg2 said:
TomCat said:
Yeah, those F1 motors are killer, but it's a V10 and I'd hate to see the production cost.
They're only 2.4l V8's now.
Damn. That's a small little power house isn't it.

When did they go to 8 cylinders? [/F1 noob]
They changed from the 3.5l V10 to the V8s start of this season. One team actually still uses a rev limited V10 but that was just some dodgy rule they exploited. I think they are producing around 800bhp at the moment, reving up to around 19,000 rpm

Actually they switched from 3.0l V10s to 2.4l V8s, the old ones were revving close to 20.000 already, while the new ones are a bit lower due to the vibrations a V8 produces. Old power was at ~950hp, now ~800hp.
Its still damn impressive for such a small naturally aspirated engine.

TomCat said:
Kebab gud said:

And NASCAR engines run on leaded fuel. Also, the pushrod NASCAR engines rev over 8000 rpm, not bad for a carburated 351.

Also, the Corvette is doing remarkably well in Le Mans and ALMS considering they're using "stone age technology," those Astons sure are having a hard time catching the Vettes unless the rules are changed to give the Vettes more weight.

un-dee said:
Actually they switched from 3.0l V10s to 2.4l V8s, the old ones were revving close to 20.000 already, while the new ones are a bit lower due to the vibrations a V8 produces. Old power was at ~950hp, now ~800hp.
Those engines are crazy. But don't get too excited, they're making less than 300ft-lbs of torque.

I have another good quote to add. I wrote it down long ago, but forgot about it. It's from the TV show King of the Hill:

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives." - Hank Hill

Vitamin J said:
un-dee said:
Those engines are crazy. But don't get too excited, they're making less than 300ft-lbs of torque.

Well when the race car doesn't weigh anything they don't need that much torque.