Why does clarkson dislike Vauxhalls?

I have my worries about SAAB"s current and future autonomy - considering the 9-2x and the 9-7x.

deathrazor said:
But you said it's all GM, and GM is based in America, so...

Oh never mind.

GM has been a global corporation for many, many years. I think what you're doing now is demonstrating how narrow-minded the average American is when it comes to the global scale.

Vette Boss said:
deathrazor said:
But you said it's all GM, and GM is based in America, so...

Oh never mind.

GM has different divisions for each country; Vauxhall in Britain, Holden in Australia, SAAB in Sweden and so on.

THANK YOU captain obvious. I would NEVER have known that! :roll:

GM has been a global corporation for many, many years. I think what you're doing now is demonstrating how narrow-minded the average American is when it comes to the global scale.

Glad to see people hating on me just because I'm just a "narrow-minded" American. Maybe I just read your post wrong because it just seemed contradictory, and everyone else's just added to it. Whatever.

fsk said:
Probably because they suck.

Here in Australia, "Holdens" are ridiculously popular. Although, even in Austrlalia we aren't big fans of Astra's or Vectra's. The company itself is very popular.

Holden makes the Monaro and then exports it to other countries (UK as Vauxhall and US as Pontiac) while Vauxhall/Opel exports the Corsa/Astra/Vectra to Australia (badged as Holden), but ive always considered the Monaro a Holden and Corsa/Astra/Vectra a Vauxhall/Opel no matter what badge they have, so a Vauxhall Monaro isnt really a Vauxhall if u kno wot i mean

I just have to clear this up. I was simply asking why clarkson didnt like them. This wasnt an open discussion to slate Vauxhall/Opel cars and let me tell you this, the new astra in particular is the best and most stylish car in its class, even better than the eyewateringly ugly VW Golf, and bland Ford Focus. Take into account that the Astra Sporthatch has no rivals that look as good as it, and the zafira, the first car in its class to have the revolutionary FLEX-7 foldable seating system. Others soon copied in the form of the VW Touran & Toyota Corolla Verso, the former in which clarkson said they forgot to style the Touran. Vauxhall easily have the best looking cars in their class and have shed off their gastly old bland image. Vauxhall have taken a chance with the design and its payed off.

At least vauxhall is better than the french ugly sisters Renault, Citroen & Peugeot. The strange styling of Renault only payed off in the Megane, the rest of the range being left in the showrooms, and who could forget the new peugeot range, with faces only mothers could love. The gaping mouths of the peugeots are just gastly

Vauxhall have certainly raised the game in recent years and its more than payed off

AZZA said:
I just have to clear this up. I was simply asking why clarkson didnt like them. This wasnt an open discussion to slate Vauxhall/Opel cars and let me tell you this, the new astra in particular is the best and most stylish car in its class, even better than the eyewateringly ugly VW Golf, and bland Ford Focus. Take into account that the Astra Sporthatch has no rivals that look as good as it,
Clarkson doesn't like the the Astra VXR because it torque- and understeers. Generally it's chassis is not up to the power it has. Other models of Astra he probably does not hate, but can't be bothered either because they are "normal" cars.
and the zafira, the first car in its class to have the revolutionary FLEX-7 foldable seating system.
Clarkson had trouble opening them, they are just complicated and it's hard to get them up. And then it's nearly impossible to get in back there. Plus the boot space is non-existant when all seats are up.
I like Vauxhall styling
Styling is a personal choice. Maybe Clarkson does not like Vauxhall styling because it's just not his style.

I also think that Clarkson does not hate Vauxhall in it self, but Vauxhall just has a reputation of making not-so-good cars and Clarkson plays with that fact because it's entertaining and people can easily agree with him. People have tendency to like people who agree with them.

The sky is very fun, gets lots of turned heads and the Opel GT is not slow. It is the Redline version of the Sky. With 260 hp, dual exhausts etc. Car and Driver said the GXP solstice hit 60 in 5.5, and Road and Track said the Redline Sky hit 60 in 5.6. Not bad for the price. And sitting in the Sky makes you think you are in a vette because of the hood shape.

i think the hate is something to do with this:

vauxhall-cavalier-mk2-cd.jpg

:lol: god i can't believe my dad bought one of those :lol:

matt you cant hold vauxhall to the quality of its old cars. It has moved on, so should you

i've moved on (we now have a rover) but clarkson hasn't. that's my point. new cars are great (especially the astra) but the old ones scared jezza i think :mrgreen:

Umm...while the Sky (opel/vauxhall GT) May me "fun to sit in" and it may go fast from a green light, but they handle like a bathtub, you have to GET OUT OF YOUR CAR to put the top up or down, and the only way you can use your truck is if you have U-shaped luggage!

The interiors are worse.

Get an MX-5 Miata, or an S2000 and be happier.

Granted...the Sky is sexy...I won't deny you that, but the rest of the car sucks.

NecroJoe said:
Umm...while the Sky (opel/vauxhall GT) May me "fun to sit in" and it may go fast from a green light, but they handle like a bathtub, you have to GET OUT OF YOUR CAR to put the top up or down, and the only way you can use your truck is if you have U-shaped luggage!

The interiors are worse.

Granted...the Sky is sexy...I won't deny you that, but the rest of the car sucks.

Have you driven a Sky, Solstice, or GT? I am almost certain you haven't if you put up such BS as "they handle like a bathtub". There are reasons to not get the car, but when you are just obviously lying then nobody will take you seriously about anything else. Also I don't know anybody that has actually seen them that thinks they have significantly worse interiors than an MX-5 or S2000.

Now if you want to just be a GM or American basher it would be better to be smart about it so people don't know your real attitude, because provable lies will always reveal more about person.

Martin

Narcolepsy said:
Frankly I'll never forgive GM for using the GTO name as a marketing ploy to a sell a rebadge.
It's true. They did it with the Charger, too. The name of a muscle car icon given to this new version that's, in my opinion, about as exciting as dry toast.

The Challenger, on the other hand...

martineb72 said:
Have you driven a Sky, Solstice, or GT?

Yes, I have (note: not the GT, but the Sky & Solstice). Once I actually got to drive one after it came into stock, I said, basically "Enjoy my deposit...keep the car." That's why I'm geting a Miata Retractable Hardtop. The Sky has a better interior than the Solstice, but still not even as good as, say the Mazda 3.

martineb72 said:
Also I don't know anybody that has actually seen them that thinks they have significantly worse interiors than an MX-5 or S2000.

Then you've never sat in one and felt the controls...I mean REALLY felt the controls...not just sat in one and grabbed the steering wheel at an auto show.
US News & World Report:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/auto/review/pontiac_solstice.htm
"The Solstice isn't a dog. But the interior experience and the mechanical performance of the car don't match its stunning looks...Stowing the top is a complicated exercise that requires getting out of the car...ome of the interior workmanship seems so rushed that I wondered if the car got hustled off the assembly line a stop or two too early. Yes, this is a great-looking car at a great price. But this one is skin deep, baby."

Autoweb.com
http://www.autoweb.com/content/shar...m/article_page_order_int/2/article_id_int/876
"If there?s anything about the 2006 Pontiac Solstice that requires immediate resolution by GM, it?s quality ? and that includes the unrefined engine and clunky manual transmission. From materials to construction..."
"Deal Breakers: Unrefined powertrain, cheap interior materials, useless trunk."

The interior construction may be okay, but the materials are junk.

martineb72 said:
Now if you want to just be a GM or American basher it would be better to be smart about it so people don't know your real attitude, because provable lies will always reveal more about person.

Just an FYI: a "GM or America basher" is someone who does more than dislike (for good reason) ONE car they currently make. In my car history, I've owned 2 various GM's, 3 Fords and 2 various Chrystlers. Unless the 2009 Mustang is brilliant, my money is going to the Japaneese.... (I'm American...and I'm only a "basher" of the guy living at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.)

Although...I know how you feel. I know the latest Mustang is a complete piece of trash, but it's looks, in my opinion, are just amazing. I am blinded to the fact that the interior is rubbish and the engine is lazy. I rented one for a weekend and will remember two things. #1) The engine noise is great, and #2) The dash and center console are awful...but in 10 years, I'l bet I still remember the noise, and forgot all about the console.

Please don't call me a "liar". Nothing I said was a lie...you may disagree with some things, but there are others that agree.

martineb72 said:
Now if you want to just be a GM or American basher...

Well...someone thinks they're the only Yank around here... :p

~nj?

NecroJoe said:

The interiors are worse.

Want a good interior? Get a Lexus and STFU, don't worry about it and quit spewing Anti-American car cliches. :roll:

BlaRo said:
...and quit spewing Anti-American car cliches. :roll:

I love that I'm accused of being Anti-America...being from Wisconsin and have never missed an election since turning 18...

The Lincoln Zeph- er...sorry...MKZ has one of the best interiors I've seen in a sub-$50,000 car. Can't get much more American than a car designed in, built in, and sold in the US. Buicks and Mercurys are some of the best built cars you can get in the US according to JD POwer, and COnsumer Reports (well...okay, so the good Buick factories are in Canada...but still...and the platform from the Lincoln is from Mazda...but still)

BlaRo said:
Want a good interior? Get a Lexus and STFU, don't worry about it and quit spewing Anti-American car cliches. :roll:

So...you're saying that if I want something good, I need to buy Japaneese and that *I* should stop America-Bashing? Please.

Okay...so the "drives like a bathtub" was an exaggeration...but it is inferior to it's (in my mind) two closest competitors, the S2000 and the Miata. The less powerful version is slower, but drives...eh...pretty okay. But the other two cars are faster. Get the GXP/Redline version you say? Then tack on some extra lbs and you lose much of the "good" handling.

Even edmunds.com compared the two cars directly, and they even pick the Miata over the Skylstice.
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=107290/pageNumber=1

So, in the end...not really sure what your arguments are...

I still don't udnerstand that in 2006 someone still makes a car that you have to GET OUT OF to put the top down...the only other reasonably-priced car like that is the Jeep Wrangler.

Although...is that the point? Make a car so specialized and impractical that it'll only really appeal long-term to the "enthusiats" out there who will keep it parked except for special trips or weekends? Well, I need to drive my car every day. I had a Jeep Wrangler, and I gotta tell you...one gets mighty sick of having to "deal" with all of the excentricities of a specialized vehicle once the initial "Whoo hoo!" wears off. If that is the point, then the other two cars have the same strengths and then some, and less of the weaknesses of roadster-ownership.

ANYWAYS...

Yes the new Vauxhall/Opels are critically acclaimed, and are selling pretty well, but they didn't always used to be like that. That's why it's funny to make fun of them...no matter how good a car Citroen or Skoda make, they will always make fun of it for being unreliable, or for being...well...a Skoda...

Why does Jeremy Clarkson hate Vauxhalls? Because it's more entertaining to poke fun than it is to say "Oh, my...they have improved in the last decade. Cake for everyone, then!"

A "rubbish badge" has to be either not-rubbish for a long time, or spectacular quickly to lose that "rubbish badge" moniker.

Over, and out.

~nj?