Computer Freeze?

Dark_Templer_102

Car(s)
Subaru Legacy GT
No idea what is going on. However, its like my computer is frozen, but what ever applications are open i can still use (AIM/Firefox) but everything else i can't do. double click on my computer? NOTHING. clt alt del? NOTHING. But oddly i go away from 10 minutes and it comes all back to normal.

Help please?

Control + Alt + Delete

What's "Not Responding"? Go to "Processes" and sort by the CPU column. Is anything sucking up a ton of CPU (minus the fake process "System Idle Process")?

No, like if i do control alt delete. The menu doesn't even show up. But however, it does show up when the computer "unfreezes" and the 6 billion things i clicked pops up all at once (usually 10 mins later)

Its weird. I use firefox normally. Any buttons on my desktop don't function. Nor any on the task bar.

^Viper is right... I'm pretty sure something is sucking up your CPU/RAM... you prob. have some virus/trojan on your computer, run a spyware and antivirus scan :D

If you are running SP1, there was a problem with HelpSVC programs using basically 99% of processor power. It happened to my work computer. It would die for periods at a time, then restart OK.

An update to SP2 fixed the problem.

Dark_Templer_102 said:
No, like if i do control alt delete. The menu doesn't even show up. But however, it does show up when the computer "unfreezes" and the 6 billion things i clicked pops up all at once (usually 10 mins later)

Its weird. I use firefox normally. Any buttons on my desktop don't function. Nor any on the task bar.

This is a symptom that may be consistent with either the CPU or the HDD being murdered by some process or another.

Does it do it every time on startup?
Does it still do it if you start up using safe mode?
Is the HDD light on continuously during this freeze?
Did you check to see if your hamster has enough food and water?

FYI, a shorter way to get to the list of processes it to use CTRL-SHIFT-ESC instead of CTRL-ALT-DEL.

It happens 90% of start ups. The HDD light blinks everyonce in awhile. Then after awhile, i hear it reading a lot and then it goes to normal.

Maybe i should clear up C-drive?

Dark_Templer_102 said:
It happens 90% of start ups. The HDD light blinks everyonce in awhile. Then after awhile, i hear it reading a lot and then it goes to normal.

Maybe i should clear up C-drive?
That sounds more like a CPU hit than a cluttered HDD, although a defrag doesn't hurt.

Try hitting CTRL-SHIFT-ESC as soon as you can when windows is loading, to try to see what process is using the CPU the most.

If you have XP, you can also use MSConfig to shut certain startup processes off in order to figure out what the culprit is ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560 ).

ESPNSTI said:
Dark_Templer_102 said:

This is a symptom that may be consistent with either the CPU or the HDD being murdered by some process or another.

Does it do it every time on startup?
Does it still do it if you start up using safe mode?
Is the HDD light on continuously during this freeze?
Did you check to see if your hamster has enough food and water?

FYI, a shorter way to get to the list of processes it to use CTRL-SHIFT-ESC instead of CTRL-ALT-DEL.

... Is that a new command? I didn't know that :lol:, will try it later when I get on a PC