Spy Shots: Corvette SS / Z06 R / Z07 / Stingray caught!

TomCat said:
It's just a chop. Besides, the C6R has that same hood vent, even though it's just a sticker.

Besides, it would only take more work to remove it from the pic, and it would make the car look alittle worse. That vent looks good and I doubt a fake vent would create any additional drag. Might as well just leave it.

This is not an altered image of any sort - it's a real car. Furthermore, this is just a mule; in no way is it representative of the finished product.

VE commodore (HSV version would be nice ;) )

jayhawk said:
So this is what it was like to live in the late 1960's, car wise. Insane! :?

naw.. nothing like the late 60's..

The late 60's would have them putting this engine in your corolla and painting it up a nice bright lime green.. or purple :lol:

WheatKing said:
jayhawk said:
So this is what it was like to live in the late 1960's, car wise. Insane! :?

naw.. nothing like the late 60's..

The late 60's would have them putting this engine in your corolla and painting it up a nice bright lime green.. or purple :lol:
Then again, we thought something like a Chevelle was a "compact". 8)

MrChips said:
TomCat said:
It's just a chop. Besides, the C6R has that same hood vent, even though it's just a sticker.

Besides, it would only take more work to remove it from the pic, and it would make the car look alittle worse. That vent looks good and I doubt a fake vent would create any additional drag. Might as well just leave it.

This is not an altered image of any sort - it's a real car. Furthermore, this is just a mule; in no way is it representative of the finished product.
Are you talking about the first photo I posted? Because it's a chop, I even posted the photo it was chopped from.

Unless they're switching to a mid-engine design, the air scoops in the back and the giant crater in the hood where the engine sits would be pretty useless.

niteriyder said:
like clarkson said..."A phenomenal engine then..." pushrod or not, until you've experience it, you really cant say anything about it.

I've never had sex with a transexual, but i'd stick my neck out and say it's a bad thing.

You see my point; Yes you can say things about it. You just have the right to argue with the benefit of experience, that's all.

I see more and more wrong information floating around on this car everyday, so let's fix all that right now. Rest assured I'm not guessing on this stuff.

Let's start with the obvious that will not come as a surprise to 99% of the people here.
The motor is a 6.2L supercharged V8. It's called LS9. I still see some articles and a few people thinking it's nothing more than an LS7 with a supercharger. Some people still also seem to think it will be a turbo'ed motor and not S/C'ed. The decision to make the motor S/C'ed was made *at least* a year and a half ago. A supplier (which I won't name) was chosen to make the supercharger at that time as well, if not earlier. The supercharger will utilize an intercooler that is integrated into the intake manifold. While the motor is making significantly more than 650hp on a test stand, I would look for it to be rated very close to, if not at, 650hp.

Do I even have to say it's not switching to a mid-engine...?

The program code is GMX245 SSC.

The body will have significant use of carbon fiber as well as some polycarbonate. As for CF use, expect at least the hood, roof, fenders and rockers to be CF.

Program timing is the big one. The super vette has never been a car for the 2008MY. That would've made it going into production sometime in 2007 which just isn't possible with the amount of engineering work needed. The original timing for the car had it starting production in March of 2008 at an annual volume of 1500 units. While I'm not aware of any volume change, the production date has changed. Due to issues GM is currently having with a supplier (which I won't name) involved in the program, the start of production has slipped to July 2008.

Expect this car to debut at NAIAS 2008. There is only one auto show GM would debut a car like this at, and it is Detroit. The only way you wouldn't see this car at NAIAS 2008 is if the program suffered a major set back or was cancelled. While a major set back is always possible on a program with such tight tolerances as this one, cancellation at this point would take an act of god given the money already invested in the program.

If I hear otherwise on any of this, I'll update the thread. As of today, it's all accurate.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71392

Ok, here's what GM needs to do:
  1. Find a way to stick a less ugly hood on it.
  2. Put the C6R style wheels on it.
  3. Automatically moving air foils (they are just cool, probably the reason porsche's still sell well).
  4. Be Damn sure this one can get well above 200mph
  5. Fit an extremely low price tag on it (for a car of it's performance).
  6. Make shit loads of money.

That should do it. :lol:

Last edited:
Ok, here's what GM needs to do:
  1. Find a way to stick a less ugly hood on it.
  2. Put the C6R style wheels on it.
  3. Automatically moving air foils (they are just cool, probably the reason porsche's still sell well).
  4. Be Damn sure this one can get well above 200mph
  5. Fit an extremely low price tag on it (for a car of it's performance).
  6. Make shit loads of money.

That should do it. :lol:
1. Maybe, I think the hood on the black one is kinda cool/i.e. not overdone (which one is it guys? the yellow or the black car? I hope it's gonna be the black one!)
2. Yes! Racing rims always look better than street rims
3. Yes since this is supposed to be the Uber-Vette they shouldn't hold back on technology and go balls-out with this one, but that kind of contradicts your 5th statement
4. Yes although not that important, because at those speeds the top speed only becomes a thing to brag about (Veyron) and can never be achieved on public roads (maybe in Germany, just). Besides, the great Z06 nudges 200 mph anyways
5. No! Again if this is going to be the Uber-Vette for god sakes DON'T build it not to exceed a certain price. Just for once go crazy with it! Remember this thing will be just as powerful as an SLR 722, still won't be as ridiculously expensive even if they go crazy with it, thus great value. I'd choose the Uber-Vette hands-down
6. I think with sports/supercars it's better to make money with bigger margins (Porsche) than relying on a lot of sales. I think selling a lot of cars with low price tags is more Mustang/Camaro/Challenger territory

Oh and another thing: Speaking about the Z06, why wasn't THAT the car they went crazy with? Maybe it's just me but it seems a bit weird to have 3 versions of Corvette. Unless they want Corvette to go the 911 route. I mean the Z06 is great, but if they just went a little bit further with it and a little bit up the price range, it would be right on par with ALL the European GT's and there would be no need for a Blue Devil. Just my 0.02 cents.

Last edited:
Oh and another thing: Speaking about the Z06, why wasn't THAT the car they went crazy with?
They did, more or less. A 500hp pump gas small block with a warranty? I think they just want to see how far they can really go. The black car on the first page is the test mule, and the hood scoop accomodates the intercooler/supercharger. The yellow car is just a C6R chop.

Should be a cracking good car......Did they leave the leaf springs in this one as well?

Don't rely on Clarkson for technical information.

The rear suspension of the corvette is a double-wishbone setup.... instead of coils it uses transverse fiberglass leaf springs. It's actually a very progressive and unique design.

-Justin

vette fansboys will rape me for this, but I say that it needs more cams, more valves and more revs.. like ZR-1. that is still the coolest vette in my eyes, followed closely by L88 C3..

Oh and another thing: Speaking about the Z06, why wasn't THAT the car they went crazy with? Maybe it's just me but it seems a bit weird to have 3 versions of Corvette. Unless they want Corvette to go the 911 route. I mean the Z06 is great, but if they just went a little bit further with it and a little bit up the price range, it would be right on par with ALL the European GT's and there would be no need for a Blue Devil. Just my 0.02 cents.
The Z06 is 12 seconds faster than an F430 around the Nurburgring, and 6 seconds faster than the Porsche 997 Turbo.

The C6 hits 7000 something rpm, I believe.. which is pretty damn high for a pushrod engine.

Pushrod engines do have a lot of benefits.. for example, less weight, lower cost, etc. etc. a DOHC engine would weigh a lot more. They could probably get a hell of a lot more HP out of it, and rev higher, sure.. but the current engine in the C6 pretty much doesn't NEED any more power. It's extremely crazy performance.

Same with the leaf springs, although I heard the C7 may be getting rid of those, because of the complaints, or what not. But those were for weight-reasons, as well, and to lower the center of gravity

The C6 hits 7000 something rpm, I believe.. which is pretty damn high for a pushrod engine.

Pushrod engines do have a lot of benefits.. for example, less weight, lower cost, etc. etc. a DOHC engine would weigh a lot more. They could probably get a hell of a lot more HP out of it, and rev higher, sure.. but the current engine in the C6 pretty much doesn't NEED any more power. It's extremely crazy performance.

Same with the leaf springs, although I heard the C7 may be getting rid of those, because of the complaints, or what not. But those were for weight-reasons, as well, and to lower the center of gravity

One of the definite disadvantages of an OHC engine is the height of the weight in the car.

On the Z06, for example, Chevy really went out of their way to keep the weight in the car as low in the vehicle as possible. They went from a standard wet-sump oil system to a dry sump system just to be able to lower the engine by a very small amount.

For the most part, these cars are not purchased by racers or even performance drivers. Most Corvettes I see on the road seem to be driven by men with white hair and thick glasses in their 60's who drive the cars very slowly on the interstate highways on weekend afternoons. There may be a buyer here and there who is a performance freak who couldn't pass on the value a corvette provides, but for the most part they're selling mid-life crisis machines to people who grew up with big grumbling V8s and associate that with horsepower.

By the time the OHC generation is ready for adult diapers, Chevy will probably be producing DHC front-drive VTEC Corvettes.

-Justin

One of the definite disadvantages of an OHC engine is the height of the weight in the car.

On the Z06, for example, Chevy really went out of their way to keep the weight in the car as low in the vehicle as possible. They went from a standard wet-sump oil system to a dry sump system just to be able to lower the engine by a very small amount.

Finally! Someone who understands why they keep the push rod designs around...

I got a mag laying round somewhere that shows a prototype with 2 cams, but still push rod actuated valves. Gives them proper VVT control, without the added height to the engine that DOHC brings.

There is also a prototype 3 valve head, and a company about ready to start selling after market 3 valve heads for the LS engines.

For the most part, these cars are not purchased by racers or even performance drivers. Most Corvettes I see on the road seem to be driven by men with white hair and thick glasses in their 60's who drive the cars very slowly on the interstate highways on weekend afternoons. There may be a buyer here and there who is a performance freak who couldn't pass on the value a corvette provides, but for the most part they're selling mid-life crisis machines to people who grew up with big grumbling V8s and associate that with horsepower.

By the time the OHC generation is ready for adult diapers, Chevy will probably be producing DHC front-drive VTEC Corvettes.

-Justin

Don't let the fact that they are having a mid-life crisis fool you... That machine is mostly for people who by the base model. A friend of mines dad bought a C5 z06 when they were knew, perfect age and look for the midlife crisis stereotype, except he drove his in anger. He used to joke "I can never seem to get more than about 15mpg :D "