Just changed the "mark as read" configuration

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I just changed how threads get marked as read. You may experience a little weirdness at first (read posts/threads showing as unread), but after you mark all threads as read, it should be a much improved experience.

Let me know how it goes.

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read. The options are:

1) Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
2) Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
3) Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

Database Read Marking Limit
The amount of time in days to store the topic and forum read times. All topics or forums without posts in this many days will be considered read.
We were on option 1 before (900 seconds aka 15 minutes), now we're on option 3. The limit is and has been set to 10 days.

Simply put, this means that a thread won't be marked as read until you view it or 10 days (gonna change it to 14) pass. So if you close your browser, it won't loose new threads like it did in phpBB and yesterday with vB.

The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.
Oh man that is sweet.:clap:

Last edited:
Simply put, this means that a thread won't be marked as read until you view it or 10 days (gonna change it to 14) pass. So if you close your browser, it won't loose new threads like it did in phpBB and yesterday with vB.

hmm... so can I change that to 1 day? Because I only read about 20% of the threads and I just want it to dissapear once I close the browser, is that still possible?

hmm... so can I change that to 1 day? Because I only read about 20% of the threads and I just want it to dissapear once I close the browser, is that still possible?

There will be a divider that has the text ESPNSTI posted to separate the threads. If you really want to get rid of them, just do quick links -> mark forums as read before closing your browser.

Yay :clap:

I'm slow - I've only just remembered how phpBB used to do that (close FF by accident and *poof* there goes new posts). So a big :thumbsup: for that.

how do I do that?

Do what? The divider will automatically be there between threads new since your last visit and ones new from before you last visit.

To mark all threads read, click on "Quick Links" at the top of this page or on the bottom of the homepage.

Thanks a lot Viper. I hated it how you sometimes lost sessions with phpBB. Pretty bothersome especially if you just started your morning browsing session.

There will be a divider that has the text ESPNSTI posted to separate the threads.
http://img72.imageshack.**/img72/9152/newthreadsnd3.png

Is this the reason I've now got most posts back as unread from the last 10 days?

Is this the reason I've now got most posts back as unread from the last 10 days?

Yes because you haven't read any of those threads with the new system. Hit the "mark all threads as read" link and they'll all go away.

Yes because you haven't read any of those threads with the new system. Hit the "mark all threads as read" link and they'll all go away.
Yeah have done.
BTW you're getting very close to the 10,000 mark.:p

Thats nice,.. weird at first, but reall good then, justlike you said ;-)

//edit: Congrats on the 10k, just noticed, I'm 12th in posts... Used to be around 20...

So there is no why I can have it as option one? I HAVE to click something everytime I leave so it don't have intermitent "Not Read" icons all down the thread list and for each forum section?