Computer Help: SCSI For Windows without adapter?

flamingice

Hi,

I've recently acquired an old SCSI device, that was originally used on a Mac. It came with one connection cable, the end of it is a 25 pin male connection, that will plug into my LPT port. Will it be possible to use the device using this port? Any suggestions about how I could get it to work, if it's possible?

Thanks

If you can find the right drivers, it could work.
The cable itself sounds like an LPT to SCSI adapter. (I used to have one for my old Magneto Optical drive).
You possibly need two drivers: one for the cable adapter, and one for the device itself.
So... you need to find out what the manufacturer and model number of both the cable and the device are and go hunting.

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the help! I've got the drivers for the device (A film scanner) but I have no clue about the cable... it has no markings anywhere, and I'm kind of at a dead end. I could buy a cheap PCI SCSI card, but then I'm going to need a different cable as well. This is turning out to be way more complicated than I expected. :?

If the cable came with the device, the documentation (online or otherwise) may have some info on the cable.

no. it won't work on the LPT port. the 25 pin cable is an old SCSI 1 external connector. you need a SCSI card with a SCSI 2 external connector, then an adapter to SCSI 1.

Thanks sandor, that's the conclusion I was slowly coming to. I guess I'll have to get a PCI card... you can't get ones with an SCSI 1 connection?

Thanks sandor, that's the conclusion I was slowly coming to. I guess I'll have to get a PCI card... you can't get ones with an SCSI 1 connection?

you can, you just need to go way back to teh Adaptec 2906

http://tinyurl.com/ygzuwv

wow... i'm having flashbacks of termination problems, ID conflicts, etc. I don't miss SCSI at all..... :barf:

But hey, SCSI 1 got you 5 MB/s and SCSI 2 got you 10!! i actually have an adapte 2930 ultra scsi card sitting right in front of me now - 20 MB/s, 7 channels!