Hamster's helmet - vote on style & design

Hamster's helmet - vote on style & design

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
fbc said:
Looks safe to say open-face is the preference, but beyond that no clear preference for design. So, anyone have any major objections to using the combination image (Zonda on back, Hamster logos wrapping around the sides)?

I think that's perfectly fine, since the poll is pretty much too close to call.

What measures have been taken to ascertain the helmet size? That's really the key ingredient we're missing here.

BlaRo said:
fbc said:
Looks safe to say open-face is the preference, but beyond that no clear preference for design. So, anyone have any major objections to using the combination image (Zonda on back, Hamster logos wrapping around the sides)?
Combination looks rather busy, both are fighting for attention and it clashes in general.

FWIW I agree - but look at the votes, I'm not sure what else we can do.

Either way, let's get this to RH soon, he's out of the hospital already!

Agreed

I voted for the hamster design (though I love Ladybella's design provided the ears are altered slightly to differentiate them from the eyes). However, I voted for the closed helmet, as after discussion with other people who use helmets (as I needed to know this for my own helmet for trackdays) the best idea - even for in car - is a closed style helmet. You can get ones which have the chin section lift up out of the way or close down to protect the whole face. I'll try to find an example later.
The reason behind this is that if you are in an accident and have an open face helmet, it's not going to protect your head from hitting the steering wheel. A closed face helmet with a clear visor/no visor will still allow you to see the persons eyes - which is usually enough to identify them.

Also, as said by a couple of you, we need a helmet size. To this end, I've searched the BBC site for the last hour looking for a phone number for a relevant person. My thinking was to call the Health and safety guys - seeing as they've had to use Helmets before, chances are very high they've got his size on file somewhere. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful, so I've just sent the question via the Top Gear section of the BBC site instead.
I have to head out for a seminar thing for Uni, but if anyone else is successful in finding a decent number to call, I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
Max

Is this getting anywhere?

I think we're waiting on trying to find a helmet size.

And I think the kinda helmet where it's a fullface, but the whole front (rather than just the visor) can flip up is what we should get.

Someone should texture this on a helmet model in 3D so that everyone gets a good idea of what it would look like as a final product.

From a designer prespective I think the hamster driving the zonda looks alittle out of balance for being placed on the back of the helmet because it is not perfecty symmetrical (difficult to center). It would work better on the sides.

Also have to keep in mind that this is being applied onto a curved surface so that will distort the image somewhat.

Last edited:
Someone should texture this on a helmet model in 3D so that everyone gets a good idea of what it would look like as a final product.

From a designer prespective I think the hamster driving the zonda looks alittle out of balance for being placed on the back of the helmet because it is not perfecty symmetrical (difficult to center). It would work better on the sides.

Also have to keep in mind that this is being applied onto a curved surface so that will distort the image somewhat.

That's a good idea. I'll try to put together a 3d model tonight and add each one of the combinations for textures.

Oooo, now we can get all the dirt on viper :shifty: :mrgreen:

That's a good idea. I'll try to put together a 3d model tonight and add each one of the combinations for textures.

Sweet! If I still had a copy of Strata laying around I would have attempted it myself, but I havent used 3D in YEARS (well, at least since Apple started running OS X).

i don't know if anyone knows, but i'm in art school (my major is game art & design) and i'm learning maya. so i should be able to turn out some pretty good visuals for the helmets.

Helmet Examples

Helmet Examples

Here are a couple of images I made so we can see what the helmet would look like:

http://img217.imageshack.**/img217/6905/hammondsmalldr8.jpg
The Hammond logo
I made them smaller than I had first imagined, because of the shape of the helmet. Most of the helmets I saw when I was looking for reference pictures had some sort of raised part on the side which would obstruct the logo.

http://img209.imageshack.**/img209/9413/zondarearpw2.jpg
The Zonda logo

If anyone wants to see a different logo idea on the helmet it would be really easy to make another one. Let me know!

The Hamster looks incredibly awesome, I think it needs to be MUCH bigger though. Like, the visor is kind of the opening of the mouth, get what I mean?

I think it works, though.

Uh, the idea is that we make it and send it to him. We already raised the funds and everything. ;)

How about making the "Hamster in Zonda" greyscales, looks cooler than the bright colours!?

Status
Not open for further replies.