These new events with Micheal J Fox.

No Boss

Neener, neener, I banned your title!
Car(s)
'07 Volvo XC70 Polestar, '01 Miata SE
As I'm sure many of you have heard (if you haven't hang out for a second, I'll get there.) Micheal J Fox has recently done a political ad showing his support for Missouri Senate candidate Claire McCaskill. In the ad he is seen shaking, some would say violently, as a result of Parkinsons.

Shortly after the ad aired, Rush Limbaugh said that Fox was exaggerating his symptoms, and that he didn't take his medication so that in the ad his symptoms would seem worse. After many complaints he apologized and then said that Fox was using his disease to help the Democrats (Limbaugh's a class act, he is.)

Well Fox recently was interviewed with Katie Couric on her show, and I just wanted to post the video. I don't want to turn this thread into a Limbaugh bashfest, or a Dem v. Repub fight. I just wanted to post the interview because it was so damn moving. Maybe, also, it's because I'm a big Micheal J. Fox fan, but I just wanted to make sure others in the world know about this terrible disease.

WARNING: THESE ARE VERY HARD TO WATCH.

Here's the original Ad:

[YOUTUBE=bFaVpoiBjvw]The original Political Ad[/YOUTUBE]

Here's the interview (VERY hard to watch...):

[YOUTUBE=o8lsjfjgAA8]The interview[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a segment from NBC about Limbaughs response. It's the best one I could find, sorry:

[YOUTUBE]2lXs6xyHMOg[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
[youtube] 'em! :D

And Rush Limbaugh is a douchebag. Known this for quite a while. <_<

That Limbaugh is a class act, alright.

I had to stop watching that second video a couple times, I'm a big fan of Mr. Fox and it kills me to see him like that. The fact that he can still retain his sense of humour really speaks to his character. I half-expected to describe the issue as "heavy!"

I was gonna, but for some reason (and it may only be on my computer), the videos get a little choppy when played on this site. I'll youtube them anyway and still provide the links below.

Fixed your post (edit it and check out how I did it). The BBCode will automatically create links to the videos at YouTube. ;)

I can't believe Limbaugh sunk low enough to insult Mr. Fox for supporting a democrat. Attacking the actual candidate is one thing, what he did is just wrong. He should be fired from his show for his comment, IMO. The ad with Mr. Fox is the most painful thing I've seen in a long, long time. I really do feel for him.

That's extremely painful to watch. :sad: I'm sure he volunteered to do the add, but it still looks like he's being exploited by these politicians.....I wouldn't put it past them.

I feel sorry for the condition that Micheal J. Fox is in, but he's not going to convince me who to vote for...

Rush's jab is a bit low, even for Rush.

Rush limbaugh is the lowest of the low. He rails against people on welfare, the overweight, druggies and "uglo-Americans." The irony is that he's a corpulent fatass, he was on welfare for a year and a half in the early nineties, his maid was scoring him pills and he's about as hideous as they come.

The man has no ethics, no shame and no respect for the truth. Plus, parkinsons isn't a laughing matter, Rush. I had the misfortune of running into the man in Florida at a country clubhouse. He had just piled three plates high with deserts (puddings, soft-serve, cake, pie, brownies, etc. I kid you not). As I walked out the door, I said, "Hey, Rush. Do you think your housekeeper could score me some vicodins."

He gave me his best death glare (not very fearsome... more jowly than anything) and harrumphed. Then he tucked back into his deserts, mumbling something about how liberals didn't know how to respect their elders.

I wanted to say something about him being a pimple on Sacramento's asshole (referring to his tenure at a talk radio station in sacramento, he was fired for bullshitting too much), but I was hustled out the door by my uncle, a vehement republican.

The issue here is that Fox has admitted to not taking his medication while doing this sort of thing (i.e. campaigning for stem cell research) to show people the true nature of this disease.

But the problem to me is that people with Parkinson's aren't walking around like this, they take their meds daily and are a lot better off than he is in these videos. What he is doing essentially is exaggerating what this disease is like for people to live with, which is the gist of Limbaugh's comments.

I believe he already had Parkinson's during Spin City....so about 15 years?

He quit spin city because parkinson's made it impossible for him to continue acting the part

I'm amazed how low some people allow themselves to go...

I know the U.S health care is a little crazy, but I don't know much.

How is it regarding to taking care of people that are handicapped / retarded?

I'm looking forward to Michael Moore's new film (Sicko)

The issue here is that Fox has admitted to not taking his medication while doing this sort of thing (i.e. campaigning for stem cell research) to show people the true nature of this disease.

But the problem to me is that people with Parkinson's aren't walking around like this, they take their meds daily and are a lot better off than he is in these videos. What he is doing essentially is exaggerating what this disease is like for people to live with, which is the gist of Limbaugh's comments.
thats not true. parkinsons actually makes people being immobile while trembling. the abnormal movements are side effects of the medication.

http://www.neurosurgerytoday.org/what/patient_e/parkinsons.asp

[RANT]

I really don't understand the Americans and it makes me angry to see stuff like this! I don't mean to turn this into an anti-American thread, but how can they be so stupid as to stop the progress of human kind because of some insane belief in an old book about a 2000 year old carpenter?

Now I am a bit biased in this subject as I am the son of a scientist. In fact one of my father?s organisations works in genetic engineering, cloning (was actually the first people in Australia and the third in the world to clone an animal) and stem cell research. As such I know about this technology, how it works, how it is done and what it has the potential to do.

Now despite what some people think they are not murdering babies to harvest their stem cells to perform this research. In fact the cells that are collected come from discarded embryos that are in storage and are going to be destroyed anyway. So rather then actually use the cells, which are going to be destroyed anyway, to conduct research and potentially cure these horrible diseases the legislation in the US makes them basically leave the embryos in the sink to thaw out just encase somehow, in a miracle of godly creation, the embryo is magically fertilised and begins to grow. So how is pointlessly destroying the embryo any better then actually using it for a purpose?

As horrible as it is it would be a nice irony for these crazy Christian lawmakers to get one of the horrible, degerative diseases that the research that they blocked could have cured. I hope they are happy in their smuggness as their mind wastes away inside their otherwise healthy body.

[/RANT]

Last edited:

thats not true. parkinsons actually makes people being immobile while trembling. the abnormal movements are side effects of the medication.

Exactly. He's exaggerating nothing.

And for everyone who was wondering, he has had the disease since 1991.

[RANT]

I really don't understand the Americans and it makes me angry to see stuff like this! I don't mean to turn this into an anti-American thread, but how can they be so stupid as to stop the progress of human kind because of some insane belief in an old book about a 2000 year old carpenter?

Now I am a bit biased in this subject as I am the son of a scientist. In fact one of my father?s organisations works in genetic engineering, cloning (was actually the first people in Australia and the third in the world to clone an animal) and stem cell research. As such I know about this technology, how it works, how it is done and what it has the potential to do.

Now despite what some people think they are not murdering babies to harvest their stem cells to perform this research. In fact the cells that are collected come from discarded embryos that are in storage and are going to be destroyed anyway. So rather then actually use the cells, which are going to be destroyed anyway, to conduct research and potentially cure these horrible diseases the legislation in the US makes them basically leave the embryos in the sink to thaw out just encase somehow, in a miracle of godly creation, the embryo is magically fertilised and begins to grow. So how is pointlessly destroying the embryo any better then actually using it for a purpose?

As horrible as it is it would be a nice irony for these crazy Christian lawmakers to get one of the horrible, degerative diseases that the research that they blocked could have cured. I hope they are happy in their smuggness as their mind wastes away inside their otherwise healthy body.

[/RANT]

I fully agree to this post.
I don't know anything about stem cell research but I do believe god gave man free will for a reason. Im not a religious guy but I think it is wrong for man to play god and stop progress. Cloning is un ethical (typo?) but stem cells can possibly offer us many new ways to better our lifestyles in the future.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have metioned that I know nothing about the disease and what I was saying was just a short version of Limbaugh's comments. These comments came in his own defence the day after he went on the air saying this stuff about Fox.

I was just saying what he claimed was the reasoning behind his remarks. I really could care less about this whole thing... and despite loving Spin City I am not the biggest Michael J. Fox fan, because it's like he's totally forgotten he's a Canadian first and foremost.