Auto design trends you don't like....

I believe the purpose on the C3 is to make it look more offroad-y... at which it fails miserably

The C3 is just an example. I saw that in person and I used it. :) But there are lots of other cars that look equally disgusting with all the plastic "accessories". I have never seen a car that wears it's plastic well... never.

I did a Google image search and it is ugly.
It would look SO MUCH BETTER if the plastic pieces were painted.......... but no. :thumbsdown:
This was on the ugly cars thread :
4021105_1d.jpg
(Isn't it a beauty?)

Volvo can do it too:
http://images.google.fi/images?hl=fi&q=volvo+xc70&btnG=Etsi+kuvia

Last edited:
I hate those huge mufflers they fit, the ones that make a Honda sound like a big nasty wet fart. And those stupid bits they bolt to their car to make them seem cool. A Honda is not a cool car, fact. Live with it.

Another trend that I have a strong disliking for is the fashion to take a really nasty and old car (Chevrolet Caprice, for example) and try to make it "pimp", by fitting with huge gold wheels and a paint it a really nasty colour. I really hate that, it's absolutely revolting.

Most of the stuff already mentioned is rather nasty as well, though the vertical headlamps don't bother me, really.

This is the WTCC Ultra RACE car concept. It is a racing car to start, not even close to production. If we want, we can include all the ugly concepts.

Trying to make even the lowliest of cars (which, for me, includes the entire korean chevrolet range) look super-mega-ultra badass by giving them overextended wheelarches, dropped splitters in the front and mock diffusors in the back
58ab6b98f9a4b23c94a6fa270a550ab0.jpg

(oh, and overdesigning in general, of which this is also a perfect example. The designers just don't know when to stop adding details anymore)

I hate those huge mufflers they fit, the ones that make a Honda sound like a big nasty wet fart. And those stupid bits they bolt to their car to make them seem cool. A Honda is not a cool car, fact. Live with it.

Another trend that I have a strong disliking for is the fashion to take a really nasty and old car (Chevrolet Caprice, for example) and try to make it "pimp", by fitting with huge gold wheels and a paint it a really nasty colour. I really hate that, it's absolutely revolting.

Most of the stuff already mentioned is rather nasty as well, though the vertical headlamps don't bother me, really.

Ehh there is no accounting for personal taste and so I expect people to do revolting things to their personal autos. What I don't expect is for various auto makes across the world to copy bad design trends which is what I see happening lately.

Oh, and the obesity epidemic affecting new cars.

Bingo. These things are getting heavier and heavier. Bring on the lightweight cars.

This is the WTCC Ultra RACE car concept. It is a racing car to start, not even close to production. If we want, we can include all the ugly concepts.

It was just included as an extreme example of my point, people overdesigning cars and adding all those "sporty" details like flared wheelarches and stuff... Hell, even Kia is now selling the Picanto (speaking of the lowliest of the lowliest) with "extra sporty skirts"

I agree on the ridiculously high beltlines. It is like car manufacturers are getting older and pulling up their belts a little too high.

Bingo. These things are getting heavier and heavier. Bring on the lightweight cars.

All in the name of safety. I don't mind so much about the extra weight since the engines, tires, brakes and chassis tuning of most modern cars make up for the extra weight. What annoys me is how cars get longer and wider with each generation. Engineering can hide the extra inertia of a few extra 100kgs, but it doesn't make it easier to drive through narrow city streets! :x

EDIT: Forgot to mention how awesome it is that Multi-quote works across separate pages. :heart:

Last edited:
FWD isnt really a problem, but putting huge amounts of power into a boring FWD and calling it a musclecar annoys me. (see new Chevy SS's excluding the Cobalt)

FWD isnt really a problem, but putting huge amounts of power into a boring FWD and calling it a musclecar annoys me. (see new Chevy SS's excluding the Cobalt)

I'm thinking that was more of an interm solution. They are selling well though.

I'm thinking that was more of an interm solution. They are selling well though.
yea they are selling remarkably well, and that includes the Trailblazer SS. I think someone in my school drives one or has a parent who has one.
The thing is that when you look at the people who are buying it, they look like people who aren't aware they bought an "SS" at all. Its looks like they'd be satisfied with a base Malibu.

Vette Boss said:

This from someone who not only drives a car that has factory riced out tail lights but show's them off on an internet forum...

The guys taking the Caprice's are attempting to take the old low rider trend and bring it to the newer cars... usually failing misserably.

klutch said:
Oh, and the obesity epidemic affecting new cars.

DING, DING, DING!!!! We have a winner Johnny!

I'm so sick of people saying "Oh it's great cause it's lightweight" when it weighs 2800lbs (S2000). I can dig up 60's American cars that weigh that much.

Last edited:
yea they are selling remarkably well, and that includes the Trailblazer SS. I think someone in my school drives one or has a parent who has one.
The thing is that when you look at the people who are buying it, they look like people who aren't aware they bought an "SS" at all. Its looks like they'd be satisfied with a base Malibu.

It seems that the next generation Impala is going to be rear wheel drive......... Let's just hope they go through with it.