Hamster is hit by depression

hype

Car(s)
GT Chucker
TOP Gear star Richard Hammond has plunged into depression after cheating death, a pal revealed yesterday.

The BBC presenter ? known as Hamster ? is struggling to keep his spirits up after his horror crash, he said.

Yesterday the friend said: ?The euphoria of surviving seems to be replaced by the shocking realisation of how close he came to death. He?s putting on a cheery face but in reality he has got the black dog ? he?s rather down.?

Also fellow presenter James May said Richard has been suffering memory lapses since the accident ? though docs are confident that will improve in time.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006500164,00.html

dint see this being posted, sorry if repost

I imagine this is all a normal part of his recovery - a tough part no doubt, but normal.

Get well soon mate.

You seem to suffer a lot mentally if you survive after such an accident or if you just avoid a deathly accident. I have had the same feeling when i just escaped a terrible crash due to my mistake...was thinking for two whole days "what if I had just hit.........."

It is therefore normal after an accident this fatal.

Same thing with me. Hydroplaned off the road, smashed into a tree at 60 mph, was extremely lucky that I had hit the tree with a fender and not my door about a foot away, and when I finally did get home, I broke down like a little girl.

Oh well, life goes on, and I'm sure Hammond's will as well.

Bad accident coupled with that short term memory loss is a bad combination. An old roommate of mine has short term memory loss (due to some kind of disease), and he always tells me about how he use to be real agressive (though part of it was the medication the doctor was giving him).

Memory loss gets agrivating quickly...

It's a natural response to something tragic as what he suffered. I'd say, it's a good thing that he feels that way because it shows he's "human", and that he won't show that emotion by other means such as violence...

But now, he needs all the support he can get. And perhaps even taking anti-depressant meds to help him.

But I seriously want hamster to get better soon because Top gear isn't a Top show with one of them missing.

Last edited:
I can simpathyze with the Hamster. I had a 'big one' (motorcycle) back in 1995 where I was in a coma for 6 days and in hospital for 6 weeks.

Like Hammond I had bits of me that didn't work right away, and a compressed re-growing up. My mother said it was a hell of a thing to be a part of- no one was sure when/where the 'growing up' would stop, and it was fervently hoped that I'd make it all the way back to adulthood.

Imagine a 200lb six foot tall six year old and you'd be close. The human brain is amazing in its way to route around damage and make new pathways.

One Monday morning 5 weeks after the crash: I woke up. Meaning that I knew what had happened, where I was, and that there was a next step.
Much to everyone else's relief.

I had short-term memory loss for about a month or so after my release from hospital, so Hammond being a little slow and depressed isn't a huge surprise.

One does think about these things after the fact, and sometimes it can give you pause.

Sad to hear Hammond is depressed - it's totally understandable - but depression is an awful thing to deal with.
I'm sure his friend Clarkson has made him feel a whole lot better by saying he has no balls (yesterday's Sun).
Nice to have such understanding mates!

From his interview with the Mirror this week:

Emotionally, I'm still a long way from being back to normal. They predicted a big slump for me this week, which is neurochemical as well as physical.

It seems his doctors were pretty accurate. Shows how good they are and shows that this is to be expected.

I'm sure it'll pass over soon enough. Hope Hamster continues his healthy recovery. AS many of you said, it could've been worse.

Edit: At least its expected.
A bad good or a good bad sign :)

---

Crap double posted. Delete pls. Still getting used to this!
How do u delete?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully hammonds gone through depression before and knows how to handle it, my first time was horrible, and took almost 2 years to get through, as theirs soooo many people pushing Hammond to get started on Top Gear im kinda worried that will just build his anxiety and make it even harder to recover.

Hope all goes well

Sad to hear Hammond is depressed - it's totally understandable - but depression is an awful thing to deal with.
I'm sure his friend Clarkson has made him feel a whole lot better by saying he has no balls (yesterday's Sun).
Nice to have such understanding mates!

where are these sun times articles anyways, atleast for us in the U.S.

Is anyone else having doubts as to whether Hammond will be well enough to return in January?
I'm starting to think he's not quite as well as we're being led to believe and if you read up on what everyone else has had to say about head injuries, it seems he has a long long way to go, unless he's been incredibly lucky and really is only suffering from depression.
I very much doubt it now - or else I think he would have spoken publicly and not just in the newspapers - I think he still hasn't quite regained his concentration.

2 months. That's quite a bit of time. *shrugs*