U.S. asserts right to deny access to space

I like when people don't keep up on modern science. We've already been able to transport data faster than light, and have found particles that move faster than that. Plus, keep in mind, any theory is just that, a theory. Hawking has found things that conflict with Einstien and yet more people have found things that conflict with Hawking. To say, "well we can't ever go faster than light so it's pointless" is pretty stupid IMO. That's like saying, "well the earth is flat and you'll fall off so it's pointless". It's the same kind of shortsighted thinking that leads to stagnation and contributes nothing.
What a load of tripe. To get something with any mass to accelerate to the speed of light you would need either a finite amount of time with infinite acceleration or infinite amount of time at a finite acceleration. In other words either way requires infinite energy which obviously is impossible. Something with no mass can be sent at the speed of light or possibly faster but thats no real help when trying to move objects.
The only ways are to bend spacetime fabric, manage to change speed instantly, use something similar to a wormhole or some other equally unplausible solutions. Basically these things are way way beyond us and probably always will be.

What a load of tripe. To get something with any mass to accelerate to the speed of light you would need either a finite amount of time with infinite acceleration or infinite amount of time at a finite acceleration. In other words either way requires infinite energy which obviously is impossible. Something with no mass can be sent at the speed of light or possibly faster but thats no real help when trying to move objects.
The only ways are to bend spacetime fabric, manage to change speed instantly, use something similar to a wormhole or some other equally unplausible solutions. Basically these things are way way beyond us and probably always will be.
So we shouldn't try? We should just give up and stop exploring?

lol, you should stay as far away from a science lab as possible, for the good of us all really.
At least tell me whats wrong with my knowledge rather than just making some smartass comment.

So we shouldn't try? We should just give up and stop exploring?
I'm not saying we shouldn't try, just not waste massive amounts of money on it. There are plenty of more important things to be spending money on right now.

I'm sure at one point Fire was one of those things too.

I'm sure at one point Fire was one of those things too.
Yes but fire wasn't considered impossible or practically impossible by most of the worlds scientists. All I'm trying to say is we shouldn't waste massive amounts of funding until some major new breakthrough (the kind of breakthrough that NASA scientists won't be looking for right now)

Guys they won't attack us directly but our allies are in danger, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan.

Also you are forgetting that those nukes could be sold to terrorists who would love to be able to use that against us or even an embassy of ours.

It is being preventitive and defensive not paranoid.

Plus think of how much our dominance is based in space. Space is the ultimate high ground, and many of our military technologies are dependant on satellites for communication and intelligence. Crippling those networks would strike a huge blow to our ability to operate.

Plus I want to fly a space plane :D

Shouldn't the Russians be the ones controlling space? They were the first ones there after all.;)

I have a bad, bad feeling that the US's 'self-proclaimed ruler of everything' mantra is going to really hurt us someday.

The US did not declare itself "ruler of space". Try reading the fucking article before you post shit.

President Bush has signed a new National Space Policy that rejects future arms-control agreements that might limit U.S. flexibility in space and asserts a right to deny access to space to anyone "hostile to U.S. interests."

If you are a student of history such as I am you would see that this is neither new or suprising. It is in fact traditional military doctrine since the development of space assets that have become vital to the defense of the nation. Policies such as these have been around for decades. If one country is planning to attack US space assets the US has the right to deny that country access to space. Just image the destruction of the GPS constellation or vital communication satellites.

The title of this topic is wrong and the one member from Canada asking "if it is really that bad down there?" hear this- The US is basically the same as Canada and Canada is basically the same as the US in all the ways that really matter to the citizens.

Sorry, if I could run with this off topic tangent for a moment...

Some 50 years ago, these exact words rang as being true for the speed of sound. That nothing could go faster than sound, because drag became astronomically high. The speed to drag curve would increase exponentially, with it never reaching Mach 1. So why is it that we're able to go faster than sound?

It wasn't untill after supersonic flight became more common that we found out. As you reach transonic speeds, drag tends to level off, and actually decreases once you pass Mach 1.

Who's to say that the same can't hold true with going the speed of light? After all, we've never gotten anything close to those speeds. The way we treat science and physics changes when you start working with larger and smaller scales. Newtonian physics for example, don't work when you're playing with sub-atomical particals. And Quantum physics doesn't work when you try to run through a brick wall (those who've taken quantum physics should know what I mean by that...maybe). Who is to say that the laws of physics are different once we get up to speed?

Oh well, back on topic I suppose.

I like what the USA are doing......to quote a german comedian

"Thank you America! After 50 years, it?s not Germany any longer who is hated by the whole world...THANK YOU!"

If they continue their role as a world police with no limits it will end up reaaaally bad for the USA. You can?t fight everywhere....you are in Afghanistan, Iraq and are allready nearly out of troops. What next? Invade North Korea? Yeah right.

I think one thing America really is frightened of is a growing united Europe. When we finally manage to act like one country, it will end up dark for Darth Bush...

BTW: Forbid other nations access to space? Bad Idea, really bad idea.

As well, current studies say that Europe will be the largest and most advanced "space nation" in ~5-6 years....

I don?t think that "the American" is a stupid paranoid warlord, but Georgie Baby is...the only problem with your country is, that you still elect those fools..

I like what the USA are doing......to quote a german comedian

"Thank you America! After 50 years, it?s not Germany any longer who is hated by the whole world...THANK YOU!"

If they continue their role as a world police with no limits it will end up reaaaally bad for the USA. You can?t fight everywhere....you are in Afghanistan, Iraq and are allready nearly out of troops. What next? Invade North Korea? Yeah right.

I think one thing America really is frightened of is a growing united Europe. When we finally manage to act like one country, it will end up dark for Darth Bush...

BTW: Forbid other nations access to space? Bad Idea, really bad idea.

As well, current studies say that Europe will be the largest and most advanced "space nation" in ~5-6 years....

I don?t think that "the American" is a stupid paranoid warlord, but Georgie Baby is...the only problem with your country is, that you still elect those fools..

Actually read the damn article. If you did read the article then you don't actually understand military doctrine. What Bush said is an old idea and it has always been there. Him saying it does not change anything because it was there before he became president and it will be there after he leaves.

Georgie Baby is...the only problem with your country is, that you still elect those fools..

And this comment is just stupid. I don't really like Bush all that much but I can admit that he is not the best nor the worst president that has been elected. Just try to name the other 30 or so presidents that are not as famous as the ones we have all heard of. What made most peopel forget them?

Also, during wartime the US does not like to elect different presidents while the conflict is still going on. They either finish it or leave at the end of their max possible terms. This is nothing new.