Your Camera Equipment

I hadn't even noticed the whole photography-part of the forum until rootrider mentioned it in IRC...so here I am. :) And what better way to get started than "equipment masturbation" (or laiterunkkaus as we say in finnish) :-D

And no, I'm not a pro, more like a serious amateur. Haven't got any cash from my pictures (mainly because the domestic market in Finland isn't that big), but I wouldn't mind if someone offered me money for messing about with my camera :)

(updated 8.3.2007)
Nikon D200
AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
AF Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX
AF Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 IF
Nikkor Ai 300mm f/4.5 IF-ED
Nikon E 75-150mm f/3.5 (old manual focus pump-zoom)

SB-600 flash with Lumiquest pocket bouncer & ultra bouncer
2 x Sandisk Ultra II 1GB CF
1x Sandisk Extreme III 4GB CF
Manfrotto tripod and ballhead
Lowepro MiniTrekker AW & Tamrac Velocity 3
Lumisoft 5-in-1 80cm reflector

Oh and btw, here's a link to my gallery: http://www.iki.fi/raparperi/
Unfortunately almost all the links there are in finnish, so...experiment :)

Last edited:
picked this up recently...
PICT8952.jpg

PICT8954.jpg

The Serious stuff:

dsc-r1.jpg

-Sony Cybershot DSC-R1
-2Gb CompactFlash II 140X
(when in a long trip I bring a laptop because I can't last for more than one or two days with 2Gb of space only)
LowePro Rezo 140 AW

Small stuff for parties or if I think I might break something..

Canon A70
128mb CompactFlash

I need to find myself some filters (circular polariser) but the filter thread on my sony is huge (67 or 72mm I don't remember so they're damn expensive!)

ah well...

Last edited:
What the hell is that thing on top of your camera?

What kind of focal lenghts does that thing have? I'm guessing it's a fixed-lens camera?

The topthingy is the LCD screen. The R1 is a fixed-lens camera crossed with a SLR - it's got a pretty nice fixed-lens combined with a SLR sensor. No mirror, just a LCD abd EVF.

Nice cam, but a real shame it's more expensive than a lot of SLR's.

Why on earth would you spend more money on that than a real-deal SLR then? Even with a 'nice' fixed lens it's still fixed.. Not too versatile in my book.. What's the aperture on that thing? And the sensor crop?

Last edited:
Why on earth why you spend more money on that than a real-deal SLR then? Even with a 'nice' fixed lens it's still fixed.. Not too versatile in my book.. What's the aperture on that thing? And the sensor crop?

I'm not sure myself, the lens is a 24 - 120mm equivalent F2.8-4.8. It's a decent lens, but the fact you can't change it really, really sucks. Sensor crop is 1.7. I was disappointed by the EVF (like I've been diisappointed by all EVF's) and the plastic chassis. Also, it may be plastic, but it weighs over 1000g. Buffer is a rather pitiful 3 images for JPEG, none for RAW. RAW files take 9 seconds to write to a card.

All those negatives in a camera much more expensive than my SLR turned me off immediately.

yeah.. it's basically a fixed variable-aperture lens SLR.. but without a real through-the-lens optical viewfinder and at quite a bit more than what you'll pay for most 'low end' dSLR's. I think even Sony's first dSLR is about the same price as that R1.

It's a nice camera, but it's got a very niche market (ie. people who want an SLR but don't want to mess with lenses at all and like an lcd with no real viewfinder).

Yep it's a 24-120mm but a damn good lens though, if you go and read reviews of it you'll see that to get the same quality you almost have to go in Canon L lenses (or atleast Sigma EX, and you need two to cover this range) so it gets very expensive.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/page20.asp

Take some time to read this, it's part of what helped me make my decision, plus the stuff below:

I didn't want to pay more than what I paid for it (which was 200$ less than a 350D and 400$ less than the list price of the R1) I didn't want to have many lenses, way too expensive for me and more crap to move around.

It's damn heavy but I'm liking it being able to use the LCD to frame sometimes is very useful especially for low shots.

The buffer IS dissapointing but I only had one occasion to use it, I'm not really into that kind of photos, so for me, it was the right choice. I don't regret it at all.

Although I understand all of you SLR freaks will think I'm crazy ;)

Last edited:
That lens sounds nice but as a whole it wouldn't really do it for me.. I like the versatility of a real SLR. To be able to change to a fast prime when you need or a tele-lens.. And use a hot-shoe flash!

speaking of a fast prime.. I think I somehow lost my 50mm 1.8. It's just.. gone, and I have no idea where it might be because every scenario I can think of leads me back to my camera bag, where the lens is not.

:blowup:

That lens sounds nice but as a whole it wouldn't really do it for me.. I like the versatility of a real SLR. To be able to change to a fast prime when you need or a tele-lens.. And use a hot-shoe flash!

It has a hot shoe mount, but I'm not into that yet.

I'm not trying to sell the camera to you, I just want to explain that it can be a very interesting piece of equipement for a few people, me included :)

speaking of a fast prime.. I think I somehow lost my 50mm 1.8. It's just.. gone, and I have no idea where it might be because every scenario I can think of leads me back to my camera bag, where the lens is not.

:blowup:

:sad: :sad: Let us know if you do eventually find it or not:sad:

rootrider, i stole your 50mm f/1.8. you dont need to look for it any more and i will not give it back!

I got a Canon A620 with a 1 gig memcard, a great cam for that price I think. It sure as hell is a lot better than the Olympus C1 (all of 1.3 MP!) I had before :)

3q-001.jpg

http://img83.imageshack.**/img83/1952/dsc00052jm0.jpg

From Left to Right:

Konica FT-1 Motor
Which is tempremental and will only work if all the planets line up, the battery has half charge, and you only want to take a photo in the sun

Nokia 6233
Doesn't actually take too bad photos for a camera phone, but it's still a camera phone, so it's rubbish

Canon IXUS 55
Picked this baby up for $100 less than cost price, thanks to a printing error in a catalogue

Praktica LTL
My dad's old camera. The foam is gone off the inside, so the side has plenty of tape to make sure no light gets in. The most reliable camera here, only the light meter is electronic.

I have a couple of lenses for the Konica, but I can't remember what they are as they aren't sitting with me

Edit: Lenses for the Konica are:
Tokina 28mm F2.8 Wide angle lens;
Tokina AT-X SD 35-200mm F3.5-4.5 Lens
Konica Hexanon AR 57mm F1.2

And a Konica X-24 Auto Flash

The Konica Works well now for some reason, but the 35-200 is gonna cost me $180 to get cleaned, which is a little scary

Last edited:
(or laiterunkkaus as we say in finnish)
Mit?p? sit? tosiaan turhaan kuvailemaan kun voi laiterunkkaustaki harrastaa. :D

In any case, my camera gear:

Canon 30D

EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM
EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
1.4x II TC and EF 300mm f/4 L IS on order.

430EX Flash.