First time driving an automatic (W.T.F)

Alright, since my car's in the shop, I used that as an excuse to borrow this old guy's E Class. I had a few friends along, none of whom were familiar with automatics or Mercs.

Starting the car took a while, it was a diesel so I knew I had to wait for the engine to heat up. I knew some light would go off, but nothing did. Eventually when I tried to start it, it wouldn't. After a whole load of witchcraft, it starts....just.

Then the parking brake gave us problems, it was missing. We looked in all the parking brake-ish places, and nothing. Then I notice this handle near the door, I pull it and icon turns off. Good, but how would I get it back on if I was on a slope...let's move on.

Next we have an argument on whether the gear should be in D4 or D1. Both seem logical so do the only sensible thing and drive in reverse. Anyway, th car seems really sluggish when starting out, and we have another argument on whether of not I've turned the parking brake off.

We set off and get to a speedbump, my foot grazes the brake and I almost fly through the windshield. WTF!? My dick is less sensitive than the Merc's POS brakes.

Knowing this, I try to be very careful not to go fast, but I noticed that it's not changing gears. maybe D4 was the right one. Another screeching halt and I get it in D4, it works.

Now by this point we were all seriously worried and decided to justuse another car, but turning the car around wasn't going to be easy. And I sure as hell didnt want to start experimenting with the reverse gear. Now where's the heck's the indicator? Aw screw it.

A few minutes later we were turned around and heading back to the speedbump, I dab the brake, grinding halt, WHILE THERE WAS SOMEONE BEHIND US. God bless him, he stopped in time. We appologize and get moving at about 2mph.

Dead silence on the way back, we park the thing. Have a few shots of jager to calm the nerves and drive off in a MANUAL toyota. Never again.

</rant>
<fear of autos>

Can I just ask what car do you drive normally? As for a parking brake thing, it has been like that for more than 10 years, you've never noticed it? And to re-engage the parking brake, you step on the pedal on the floor for Mercedes.

And about D4 or D1, please use your common sense, in a manual car, would you drive the first gear the entire journey?
The brakes would have nothing to do with the gearbox, maybe it was just setup of the brakes? and maybe because you were in D1, won't your normal manual car jerk as well if you take your foot off the accelerator in 1st gear? I know the ones I have jerk like hell (But that doesn't seem like the problem because it happened again when you were in D4)

And about the indicator, most European cars have their indicator on the left side of the wheel and not the right like Japanese cars.

ps. I don't exactly love auto cars, I'm just trying to clear some things up so you won't do that again if you ever drive an auto car.

I like how he thinks the heavier sensitive brakes on a Merc are crap, because he's used to the mushy Japanese ones with huge travel.

you weren't left foor braking, were you?

(euhm, or right foot braking... where are you from?)

I'm gonna have to go and agree with everyone else here and say that you've got more problems than the car. It's really common sense. Everything inside the car is clearly marked, if you took some time to look at it. =)

Twilight Spoon, do you also have huge usability problems with Segways and iPods?

I've never known anyone who would publicly proclaim that an automatic transmission was way, WAY to complicated to use.

Wow, guess I'm really not up to date on my car tech.

The power brake thing, effective no doubt, but are you guys really that confortable with it? Wouldn't it be easier to moderate your braking power with regular brakes?

The power brake thing, effective no doubt, but are you guys really that confortable with it? Wouldn't it be easier to moderate your braking power with regular brakes?
You get used to it really quickly, and personally I like it better.
I think you can moderate your braking just as good as with "regular" brakes.
The only thing that may be a bit more difficult is if you're trying to learn left foot braking if you have a bit of a "clumsy" left foot (like I seem to have).

I like how he thinks the heavier sensitive brakes on a Merc are crap, because he's used to the mushy Japanese ones with huge travel.

Reminds me of the brakes of my Mazda. I really hate them, you have to press the pedal pretty hard and its still like stepping into a balloon or jelly.

To the creator of this topic: Come on, you can't tell me you didn't work out how to drive an automatic merc. It must be the easiest car to drive in the world.

ESPNSTI said:
The only thing that may be a bit more difficult is if you're trying to learn left foot braking if you have a bit of a "clumsy" left foot (like I seem to have).

x2 on that, IF i try it, i double check there realy isn't anyone behind me, caus i just know my head will bang against the steering wheel

are you sure you did not have a few j?gers before already? :D

You get used to it really quickly, and personally I like it better.
I think you can moderate your braking just as good as with "regular" brakes.

Personaly I like the non assisted brake. You can feed the brake much more easily. Same thing happens, when I get out of my car (lada), and drive my fathers car (citroen c5). First thing is that the sitting position is way different, than the pedals are so sensitiv, and the steering is very light, and gives no information at all. But after a sec, I get used to it, still I like the non assisted things much better (i could use a servo in the lada though.. :D )

when I get out of my car (lada), and drive my fathers car (citroen c5). First thing is that the sitting position is way different, than the pedals are so sensitiv, and the steering is very light, and gives no information at all.
Well yes, it sucks if it is done badly. I hate it when a car has that "disconnected" feeling. :yucky:
But it's great if it's done right. My STI for example has both a great brake pedal and steering feel to it.

^ Yeah but a Subaru is a Subaru :p

Twilight you didn't happen to have the problem I had maybe?

I was driving for 2 hours in my 5speed manual toyota, and picked up my friend and used his car, which was an auto. First thing I did was BASH the brake with my left foot, sending us flying.

BTW, never ever drive a Semi-truck, with air brakes, you will go thru the windshield without a doubt. Especially unloaded.

Last edited:
Having driven Mercedes before (and loved it), it seems that this is a user error situation. I never had any trouble getting our old Mercedes diesel to start, even in cold Utah winter mornings (no block heater either). The placement of the parking brake is very traditional, most cars through history have had the parking brake there, hell even old wagons had a foot brake in the same location. The brake and it's release are clearly marked. As for the automatic transmission, anyone with even a basic understanding of an Auto would know you put the selection in the highest gear unless you want to limit your top gear for some reason (tranny can't decide on a gear, or descending a grade). Every car has a different feel to the clutch, brake, throttle and steering a good driver is cautious until he gets used to these changes.

Sorry bud, but this one is all you.

Then the parking brake gave us problems, it was missing. We looked in all the parking brake-ish places, and nothing. Then I notice this handle near the door, I pull it and icon turns off. Good, but how would I get it back on if I was on a slope...let's move on.
You wouldn't put the parking brake back on, it's an automatic. Using the parking brake on a slope is only to make *manual* transmission cars easier to get moving.

Future note for driving diesels: turn the ignition to the 'on' position, wait 5 seconds for the glowplugs to warm, then turn it on.