RIAA sues more children...

You "need" a DVD burner to save photos to disc?
Well how else would I back them up apart from a CD rewriter which is impractical.
It's only a matter of time before TV episodes will be illegal as well.
I am recording the TV live from a TV tuner, not downloading episodes.

There was also talk not long ago about making MP3 files completely illegal. And now you're admitting to making copies of your CDs... shouldn't you be buying all your MP3's online, regardless of your CDs?
Most of the CD's I am making back-ups of were bought long before you could download music from the internet. I do now buy almost all my music online. It is also fully legal to create a copy in such a way.

Well how else would I back them up apart from a CD rewriter which is impractical.
Impractical? How so? If I'm not mistaken, you can save photos to disc with a simple CD-ROM.

peter3hg2 said:
I am recording the TV live from a TV tuner, not downloading episodes.
Same difference.

peter3hg2 said:
Most of the CD's I am making back-ups of were bought long before you could download music from the Internet. I do now buy almost all my music online. It is also fully legal to create a copy in such a way.
That's where the problem comes in. How is it legal for you to make copies of your music, but illegal for others to make copies of their music? Should every single person who listens to the music be forced to pay for it? If you have friends in your car, are you not allowed to play CDs that your friends didn't pay for?

According to you, VCRs should be illegal yet, millions of people bought them? And JVC, the company that created the VHS format is still in business.

As far as I see it, using a computer to record telly and burn it to a disc is just like using a VCR, only on a larger scale. If it's for personal use, no-one knows about it and it's fine!

Of course there is the bootlegging potential there, but one could do the same with two VCRs! :p

I need a DVD burner for backing up my photos and I need a 320GB hard drive for recording TV. Neither of these is illegal and I wouldn't say I am in the minority. Most of the music on my Sony mp3 player is off my CD's or bought online which is fully legal.
If recording off the TV is ok, then recording off the radio is ok too (I believe both were deemed legal in the US). Given that, why should downloading a song you heard on the radio be wrong? You could have just recorded it, you just didn't have a tape ready.

Also, I believe that in the UK any kind of CD ripping is illegal, regardless of what you do it for.

Also, I believe that in the UK any kind of CD ripping is illegal, regardless of what you do it for.
No, you are allowed to rip your music for your own personal use, i.e. stick it on your MP3 player or play it off the computer.

Impractical? How so? If I'm not mistaken, you can save photos to disc with a simple CD-ROM.
No you are completely and utterly wrong. ROM stands for Read Only Memory i.e. you can't write to it.
And it is impractical as a CD very quickly fills up with photos and video clips so DVDs are a lot lot more practical.

That's where the problem comes in. How is it legal for you to make copies of your music, but illegal for others to make copies of their music? Should every single person who listens to the music be forced to pay for it? If you have friends in your car, are you not allowed to play CDs that your friends didn't pay for?
It is not illegal for others to make copies of their music but it is illegal for them to distribute it. If they create a copy then give that to someone else and keep a copy for themselves then that is distribution in the eyes of the law. If they make a copy for themsleves then give that and the original to a friend then that is fine.

Last edited:
No you are completely and utterly wrong. ROM stands for Read Only Memory i.e. you can't write to it.
Oh, alright. lol ROM was ... before my time.

Peter3hg said:
And it is impractical as a CD very quickly fills up with photos and video clips so DVDs are a lot lot more practical.
You must take a lot of photos, because 700MB capacity is plenty for me. And more cost effective.

It is not illegal for others to make copies of their music but it is illegal for them to distribute it. If they create a copy then give that to someone else and keep a copy for themselves then that is distribution in the eyes of the law. If they make a copy for themsleves then give that and the original to a friend then that is fine.
Well... too bad. If I'm going to let myself get robbed for a CD, I'll do with it what I want. The current so-called "laws" are BS.

For example, you're not allowed to back up your own music, according to the RIAA. They claim it's not "fair use" and say you have to purchase the CD again, if it becomes damaged, because they're not that expensive anyway. It's bull. Same goes for MP3 files. You taking your CDs and converting them to MP3 to play in your IPOD and/or car is also illegal.

Well, I see most things this way:

Most things I download (With the exception of top gear, just cant get it over here ;)) I wouldn't buy in the first place. I still buy products to support the companies and bands I support. Hell, besides the point, if you really like the band, you'll probably go to see them anyway.

I'm just happy I live in Aussieland, the land the of free. Mod chips are legal for consoles, and we don't have agencies like the RIAA on our asses.

For example, you're not allowed to back up your own music, according to the RIAA. They claim it's not "fair use" and say you have to purchase the CD again, if it becomes damaged, because they're not that expensive anyway. It's bull. Same goes for MP3 files. You taking your CDs and converting them to MP3 to play in your IPOD and/or car is also illegal.
Erm...well, no, it's not illegal unless the RIAA uses the private laws they've been able to invent with the DMCA. These are just things that the RIAA wants to be made illegal.

And, you're right, it's total BS. The RIAA wants to have their cake and eat it too. They want to own you by saying that you are merely purchasing the "right" to listen to the music, but they want you to treat virtual "property" as if it were a physical, tangible property. I recall reading an interview with a RIAA whoever-he-was and he said that you buy a glass cup and it breaks, you don't expect the store to replace it for free. Well, of course not, it's a physical property. When you lose/break/misplace/whatever a CD, it's not the 10 cent disc you're concerned about, it's the product on the disk. It's the virtual data that you paid for. It's yours, you can do what you want with it, including backing it up, putting it on a portable audio player and so on and so forth.

I'm just happy I live in Aussieland, the land the of free.
Living free in Canada! :) (for a good, long time, I hope!)

The german equivalent of the supreme court confirmed a ruling yesterday that ISPs are not allowed to store IP addresses of customers who have a flat rate. Try catching me now RIAA/MPAA etc!! :p

Last edited:

Thats the same in Finland... I can buy an illegal MP3 player made by legal corporations from perfectly legal stores. Thats a joke. well I understand even politicians get bored and when they do they pass stupid laws that are not monitored by anyone. HaHa!!

I download illegal music from the internet. As a student I can't be bothered to buy 98758365893745698632458623946398469324658932496392769CDs. Oh... and If I want to listen to them in my car chances are that I have to change the CD 10 times for 8 bifferent songs... because it's illegal to burn your MP3s to a CD... because you shouldn't even have MP3 files. :blink:

Damn... I'm a hard core criminal. I am. Rapists an pedofils get only 2~3 years in prison if they get cought. But if the cops look into my computer I get 5years and thousands of euros as fine. Great.

Damn... I'm a hard core criminal. I am. Rapists an pedofils get only 2~3 years in prison if they get cought. But if the cops look into my computer I get 5years and thousands of euros as fine. Great.
That's a fact that I find particularly disgusting :glare:

That's a fact that I find particularly disgusting :glare:

Do you think we are the only ones? Thats how modern legistlation is I guess. Making sure that richass morons gets their cut is the most important thing. NOTHING is more important.

Up untill about a year ago I could download MP3 files as long as I didn't sell them. For money. That is what causes rappers to afford only 1 platinum tooth per mont. Piracy. Piracy isn't just downloading something. It's when you download something and then sell it for money for 1 third of the price of the legal copy. That is how I describe piracy you don't have to agree with me.

Last edited:
It's when you download something and then sell it for money for 1 third of the price of the legal copy. That is how I describe piracy you don't have to agree with me.
No, you're definitely correct. The RIAA sees all of the customers as pirates, though, if they're not letting themselves be ripped off at the CD store.

That's almost right other than if someone downloaded a song then that doesn't mean they would have purchased it if they couldn't download it.

Exactly. I don't download a great deal of music, and its certainly not stuff that I would otherwise pay for. If I find something decent, I will buy it and support the artists. I apply the same logic to movies; I download lots of those, few of which I would have paid for; those that look good, I go to the theatre or buy the DVD. Did I harm the studios that produced the movies/music?

Yeah that means nothing, it is also technically illegal to not practice archery 3 times a week. There is a lot of these ancient laws still exsisting in English Law that their is no real need to change because they are very easy to get around (I mean how can a 300 year old law talk about anything like making copies of MP3's).

Edit// Oh sorry the Guardian had actually made a mistake, the 300 year old law was removed 150 years ago.

Last edited:
If I find something decent, I will buy it and support the artists.
Well, be careful with that. Buying a CD (or actually buying it anywhere other than an online independent music store) is not really supporting the artists all that much. From $15-or-whatever you pay for a CD, an artist is lucky to see just a couple of bucks out of that. The rest, obviously, goes to the money-grubbing scum-suckers at the RIAA.

Did I harm the studios that produced the movies/music?
Of course not. You bought the stuff you liked, and you wouldn't have bought the stuff you didn't like, anyways.

You have to wonder, how can they make such a normal and private action illegal? I mean, who is going to find out whether you copied a private song from your private CD onto your private computer in the privacy of your own home?