Votes: 76 30.4%
  • Better than most of his DVD's except [insert DVD name]

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • Most of his other DVD's are better

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • Worst Clarkson DVD ever!

Votes: 42 16.8%

• Total voters
The details are all that matter. It goes from being "Damn, the Mustang GT with a 300hp V8 was beaten by a HORSE!!" to "the base mustang with a pitiful V6 and crappy tires was beaten by a horse"
It's not Clarksons fault the Mustang had crappy tyres. So he got the engine wrong, the fact is the car with "a pitiful V6" was still beaten by a horse which was travelling a greater distance.

It goes from "damn, the Shelby Mustang only has a 4.6L V8 and 475hp" to "damn, the Shelby Mustang has a 5.4L V8 similar to the Ford GT's and has 500hp"
It's 25hp FFS, don't forget we tend to have cars nearer 1.8l in this country so a 4.6l is just as "massive" as a 5.4l.

It goes from "hahaha LOL this truck is so slow it was beaten by an Ariel Atom" to "damn, that TRUCK runs 16 second quarter miles, and the Ariel Atom is pretty much just as fast as a Ferrari Enzo"
If you bothered actually watching why he was doing that rather than just looking to criticise, you would have seen he was contrasting the cars not comparing them.

It goes from "haha that H2 and Escalade suck so bad LOL!!!!" to "wow, a $90,000 Land Rover is better off-road than an Escalade and Hummer which were obviously 'stuck' in a staged gimmick"
The fact is a Range Rover is a bling mobile like the other two. He was just proving our bling mobiles can do off-road whereas yours can't. The race was a bit silly yes, as shown by the fact that most of the time Clarkson was heading the wrong way. If it was just a straight race to the top the Range Rover would win easily.

It's not Clarksons fault the Mustang had crappy tyres. So he got the engine wrong, the fact is the car with "a pitiful V6" was still beaten by a horse which was travelling a greater distance.
That horse would have beaten any equivilent British, Japanese, or German car. Like a BMW 328 or Lexus IS250 or anything really.
It's 25hp FFS, don't forget we tend to have cars nearer 1.8l in this country so a 4.6l is just as "massive" as a 5.4l.
So what, its not fact. FACT is how you prove things. Lying isn't.
If you bothered actually watching why he was doing that rather than just looking to criticise, you would have seen he was contrasting the cars not comparing them.
I got news, a Dodge Ram is faster than most things on the road here, let alone in Britain. Most BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, etc can't run a 16 second quarter mile.
The fact is a Range Rover is a bling mobile like the other two. He was just proving our bling mobiles can do off-road whereas yours can't. The race was a bit silly yes, as shown by the fact that most of the time Clarkson was heading the wrong way. If it was just a straight race to the top the Range Rover would win easily.
Yeah, it also costs $40k more. If you wanted a bling mobile that goes offroad, then you wouldnt be looking at an Escalade, you'd be looking at a Range Rover. The Escalade is much better on-road, as has been the verdict of about 5 road tests I've read.

That horse would have beaten any equivilent British, Japanese, or German car. Like a BMW 328 or Lexus IS250 or anything really.
How do you know? The time difference wasn't much and a car with slightly better handling probably could beat the horse.

I got news, a Dodge Ram is faster than most things on the road here, let alone in Britain. Most BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, etc can't run a 16 second quarter mile.
Depends what you mean by faster, in a straight line yes but anyone can shove a V10 into a car and it'll go like shit of a shovel. It isn't a technological achievement. If you want to go faster round a track then most BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, etc will be faster. That is what I think the point of the test was, an Americans idea of fast and the European idea of fast.

Yeah, it also costs $40k more. If you wanted a bling mobile that goes offroad, then you wouldnt be looking at an Escalade, you'd be looking at a Range Rover. The Escalade is much better on-road, as has been the verdict of about 5 road tests I've read.
But in the UK they are failry similar price wise, it doesn't matter what they cost for you guys. I don't know about on-road, I'll accept your word for that.

First, which road tests? And under which conditions?

If you are arguing about prize, a Defender would probably beat the H2 anyway, and that costs how much, a nickle?

But as pointed out above, the H2 costs about the same as the RR in GB. Jezza lives in GB, not USA. The DVD is meant for Europe, primarily, therefore the prize in Europe is a lot more relevant than that in the US. Is that so hard to understand?

And to be quite honest, I doubt an Escalade (Marmalade :tease:) handles, performs, is more comfortable, has a better interior and has better fuel conumption than a Range Rover.

How do you know? The time difference wasn't much and a car with slightly better handling probably could beat the horse.
Well, the test is flawed either way because he said the car was something it's not.
Depends what you mean by faster, in a straight line yes but anyone can shove a V10 into a car and it'll go like shit of a shovel. It isn't a technological achievement. If you want to go faster round a track then most BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, etc will be faster. That is what I think the point of the test was, an Americans idea of fast and the European idea of fast.
It's a 340hp V8. And my opinion of fast is a Saleen S7 or Mosler Photon or Hennessey Venom 1000TT or Lingenfelter Corvette or any number of things. You Brits think a 170hp hot hatch is fast.
But in the UK they are failry similar price wise, it doesn't matter what they cost for you guys. I don't know about on-road, I'll accept your word for that.
Ok, that's fine. But if you're comparing off-road cars, then compare the Range Rover to a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Jeep Commander or Chevy tahoe Z71 or any number of SUVs that were designed to go offroad.

That's like comparing a Formula 1 car to a WRC car off road, or on road for that matter. Designed for two completely different things.

But as pointed out above, the H2 costs about the same as the RR in GB. Jezza lives in GB, not USA. The DVD is meant for Europe, primarily, therefore the prize in Europe is a lot more relevant than that in the US. Is that so hard to understand?
But he wasn't in the UK, was he?

Most of the American cars he tested are not available in GB. You have to import them privately. What ever the price comes out to is completely irrelevant. It's your country's laws and regulations that lead to that high price, not the company that built the vehicle.

And you can keep calling the Range Rover "bling" all you want, but it's still no where near the level of the Cadillac. Put the Range Rover Sport through that test with the Escalade and I might give it alittle more credit... if it wasn't completely staged, that is.

I don't like the stupid idea that you can't drink until you're 21, that in some counties, you might get arrested for being on the streets after 01:00 if you're under 21, I don't like that you might get arrested for being at a party where people drink even if you don't. Again, in some counties. I don't like the stupid punishments for small crime, I wouldn't be able to go a day without thinking how silly three-strikes is.
Less drunks and felons on the streets? I see nothing wrong with that.

considering is intro was 5 minutes long and didn't talk about cars, only how bad america is.... i think he has his priorities wrong. I wanted to watch a car program, if i wanted to watch a comedian fall on his ass i would have watched the comedy channel.

granted i expected alot of bashing, but that was just a new level.

everything else i found entertaining even though it was all meaningless. for instance, it would have been neat to see the Z06 compared to something considering it's cheaper then a viper yet can outperform one.

the dodge ram and atom comparison was just a shot at police chases. though if i were robbing something i'd pic a car with a trunk, since whatever you steal has to fit in a 1 cubic foot box on the atom.

i find it amaizing that he can still stick up for the Ford GT when he can't get his down the driveway... and what? is he on his second one now?

he wants to claim that the Ford GT is a euro car with an american engine. then how come his keep breaking? if it's euro it's supposed to be built well....

and alot of people seem to think that people making a stink about the v6 mustang is too much. well think about it. let's say 500 000 people view the DVD, then that's 500 000 people who have just been made dumber because he couldn't get the facts strait on something so simple he could have raised the hood and counted the exiting pipes on the exhaust manifold and seen he was mistaken. besides, 200hp doesn't feel like 300hp in anything i've ever driven.

Over all, the video was entertaining, but someone should have put more time into the editing, and he should have put more time into his script.

I find it funny that the americans take so much of this DVD to heart. Most of it is tongue in cheek humour aimed at an insecure american audience to get a reaction. Reaction = controversy. Contoversy = Publicity. Publicity = Sales. Sales = More money.

I mean let's be real here, american cars are rubbish, period. Proven a myriad of times in the DVD.

I thought the DVD was a good laugh and very entertaining. For the poster above too, do some research about Jeremy Clarkson's car and its faults before you make yourself look stupider. It was a problem with the aftermarket alarm and immobiliser system which is probably chinese anyway.

you obviously don't know much about what you're talking about :p in one of the top gear episodes they talk about him on his second car, i don't know if it's fact or exageration by the show and it was an honest question. but as far as the car goes, there's been a few recalls due to things a little more serious then a british installed imobilizer. so do your research before you start talking smack thinking you're ahead of the game because you watch the show religiously. there's more info out there...

P.S. I am a canadian, and don't consider myself to be an american, but i still feel that things said in the video were a little above and beyond, just like if he were to do that to another nation. in moderation it's acceptable, but when it's the only thing coming out of his mouth, it gets tiring.

Well let's face it, Clarkson is clearly at his best in the company of Hammster & May....i find these solo efforts a bit forced & this dvd was easliy the worst of the lot. Given that it was Jezza in America, i was more or less expecting full on US-slagging and i was also expecting Clarkson's maddeningly inconsistent 'judgements' and 'reviewing' style.....but the technical and factual inaccuracies reached an almost laughable level. What was that bollocks he was on about with the Dodge Ram being classed as a 'lorry' and hence had very lax safety certification standards??......total crap that is. Really, with only a little extra effort, getting a few facts straight would go a long long way. Of course all the tests were conducted in a ridiculous fashion as well.......a bit strange is it not that Jezza selects the Dodge Ram when he clearly has a penchant for Ford products? Perhaps he didn't want to be reminded that the 5.4l V-8 in his GT is the same 5.4l V-8 in the F-150 Ford pickup truck but w/o the supercharger.

It's not sold in America.

This DVD proved nothing, do some research.

I don't remember stating it was sold in america. You're from america according to your profile and you've seen it. You probably downloaded it. So one could make the assumption that other americans have also downloaded it via the interweb. I think the DVD proved that americans still can't build cars. Feel free to be wrong, that's just my opinion.

scoops said:
you obviously don't know much about what you're talking about in one of the top gear episodes they talk about him on his second car, i don't know if it's fact or exageration by the show and it was an honest question. but as far as the car goes, there's been a few recalls due to things a little more serious then a british installed imobilizer. so do your research before you start talking smack thinking you're ahead of the game because you watch the show religiously. there's more info out there...

P.S. I am a canadian, and don't consider myself to be an american, but i still feel that things said in the video were a little above and beyond, just like if he were to do that to another nation. in moderation it's acceptable, but when it's the only thing coming out of his mouth, it gets tiring.
Second car was probably referring to the fact that he sold his GT, then bought it back because he loved it. I haven't read anything about other recalls so I'll take your word for that.

Last edited:
But he wasn't in the UK, was he?
Nope. He made a film for the british audience in america. What's the big deal?

Most of the American cars he tested are not available in GB. You have to import them privately. What ever the price comes out to is completely irrelevant. It's your country's laws and regulations that lead to that high price, not the company that built the vehicle.
So that means it becomes cheaper? Because it's taxes? Don't you get the point? You can't blody buy anything without money. It doesn't matter in any way what a car costs in Turkmenistan, what matters is what YOU must pay for it.

And you can keep calling the Range Rover "bling" all you want, but it's still no where near the level of the Cadillac. Put the Range Rover Sport through that test with the Escalade and I might give it alittle more credit... if it wasn't completely staged, that is.
I never called it bling. And comming back to costs, you haven't given any answer, would the Escalade or H2 have been faster up the mountain than a Defender?

From what I've read, the Escalade is quite soft, and I'm sure it works like hell on a highway, but it's not that practical when you need to drive a road that's a match for the Monaco Gran Prix circut, for an hour, to get to the neighbouring town.

Less drunks and felons on the streets? I see nothing wrong with that.
You don't see anything wrong with arresting teens for doing something that doesn't harm anyone other than themselves? And don't bring me crap like "it leeds to violence", there are LAWS against violence. That solves that problem.

You threat 20yos like we threat 16yos. In some cities, before you're 21, you can be put in a cell for being outside after 0100. What's that all about?

And why do you let people drive at the age of 16 - which means they can kill other people, a car IS a weapon - but deny them a drink at the age of 18? Any civilized country will allow a person who can be sent to war to buy a bloody beer!

I don't remember stating it was sold in america. You're from america according to your profile and you've seen it. You probably downloaded it. So one could make the assumption that other americans have also downloaded it via the interweb. I think the DVD proved that americans still can't build cars. Feel free to be wrong, that's just my opinion.
You said it was aimed at the American audience. Not selling it in America must be more of that famous British irony, I guess.

Americans can build cars. In fact, the biggest studies of build quality show American cars rank quite closely with Japanese and European products. But people tend to make excuses about these studies and ignore them, better to base one's opinion on fanboyish daydreams I suppose.

The problem is Clarkson couldn't even tell the truth about what engines are in what cars. So what chance does he have of telling the truth about subjective things?