Top Gear DVDs

AndrewBall

Car(s)
1987 BMW E30 325is, 1988 BMW E30 M3
Why dont they have Season DVDs like many tv series do now-a-days. Being an American i dont get blessed with this show and i would love to see them in DVD quality. Surely the producer has the episodes on file. Does anyone know about this? Or want to get a petition to get them to make some. You european people might not find this as interesting as the americans. But I would buy Every season if they made them.

Any thoughts / interest? Sorry i didnt search this may have been covered.

Why dont they have Season DVDs like many tv series do now-a-days. Being an American i dont get blessed with this show and i would love to see them in DVD quality. Surely the producer has the episodes on file. Does anyone know about this? Or want to get a petition to get them to make some. You european people might not find this as interesting as the americans. But I would buy Every season if they made them.

i myself have made a few dvds from seasons of top gear as well as the member Two Fish here. you can download the torrents for mine from here: http://tracker.finalgear.com/index.html?search=season

however, to refer to what you are talking about, i'm sure there already is a thread about this very same thing, but too lazy to go find it.

I made my own DVD with the torrents + ConvertxtoDVD.

If they made professional ones, I'm pretty sure that they would probably be in PAL format or set for a different region.

i started downloading the torrents and that was my plan. to make a DVD for each season with each episode broken into chapters. having a Video and Photo Company we have the equipment.

Also noticed your from philly. Its funny all the posts i have read i have seen people from philly in alot of them. I live less than 30mins from philly. We do alot of filming and such in and around the area. check the link in my signature.

Amongst other things I think it has to do with rights issues dealing with some of the music they used meaning they would have to either go to a lot of hassle getting permission or a lot of hassle remixing every episode.

Amongst other things I think it has to do with rights issues dealing with some of the music they used meaning they would have to either go to a lot of hassle getting permission or a lot of hassle remixing every episode.
huh? they cant broadcast without having rights to that music. Putting them in a DVD wouldnt be any different.

on UKTV G2 and UKTV people some music is quite different so it seems that some remixing has already been done

however... series 1 on UKTV was repeted ONCE never to be seen again... :(

they put Dallas on DVD, the bionic woman for crying out loud... what's wrong with TG???

it will net the BBC a fortune...

i started downloading the torrents and that was my plan. to make a DVD for each season with each episode broken into chapters. having a Video and Photo Company we have the equipment.

Also noticed your from philly. Its funny all the posts i have read i have seen people from philly in alot of them. I live less than 30mins from philly. We do alot of filming and such in and around the area. check the link in my signature.

With ConvertxtoDVd, I can squeeze about three shows per 4.5gig DVDR. I use the wallpaper from Topgear.com for background image. The software will break the avi into 5 minute chapters.

I'm near WC. I'm in Broomall, Delco. It's just easier to say I'm from Philly. :mrgreen:

This is sooo true. When Keen Eddie went to DVD, Paramount didn't want to bother getting permission for the music so they just redubbed in some non-branded music. Sounds lame as compared to the TV shows I acquired.

Thats why Scrubs was so long getting to DVD over here....damn music copyrights.

huh? they cant broadcast without having rights to that music. Putting them in a DVD wouldnt be any different.

Oh.........no...................

I can ASSURE you that just because you have the right to use the music in a one-time broadcast and then use it again when the program is rerun does NOT mean you can transfer the program (including the music) to DVD and sell it. It is two completely different sets of rights.

I can ASSURE you that just because you have the right to use the music in a one-time broadcast and then use it again when the program is rerun does NOT mean you can transfer the program (including the music) to DVD and sell it. It is two completely different sets of rights.

:yes:

....i never said that broadcast rights were the same as sales did i?

but it takes half the time and its really easy to get rights once you got permission to broadcast with them.

Can someone very kindly seed the Top Gear Season 7 Disc 2 DVD?

I'm stuck at 98.7%

:(

....i never said that broadcast rights were the same as sales did i?

but it takes half the time and its really easy to get rights once you got permission to broadcast with them.

Well.....that's kind of the way I took it. No offense intended, certainly.

However, I've fought the rights battle myself (being in TV, you understand). I've found that getting rights to music can be an afternoon's phone call....or a year-long struggle that ends in failure. And Lord help you are caught using music for which you have no rights. Producers who intend on their work going to DVD either 1) negotiate music rights for home distribution up front, 2) use generic music that can be had cheaply or 3) simply substitute other generic music for that originally broadcast.

The history of programming sent to home video is rife with instances of music substitutions. One of those that comes to mind immediately is the Star Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever". I'm not sure what the reason was, but Paramount decided to replace the song "Goodnight Sweetheart" with some generic strings that completely destroyed the impact of the final scene.

MTV releasing has found that an entire animated series ("Daria") is almost impossible to release on home video as the producers apparently took advantage of a blanket license that MTV had for a large amount of popular music for broadcast. So the video arm of the company is left with a series that has literally hundreds of short song clips, many of which are integral to story lines, that it has no rights to. And you also have to remember that even though you may have rights for domestic distribution, you might NOT have rights for international sale.

If the Top Gear producers are indeed using music licensed only for broadcast and not home video use, that could indeed be one reason for not releasing the programs on DVD, though I really believe the real reason lies elsewhere. After all, the music in TG is not integral to any story line and could be easily substituted.

I guess the moral of this (far too) long message is that the stupidest things hold up the release of ANY TV program on home video.....and those stupid things are often music clearances.

Music clearances easy? Think again.............:D

Last edited:
Why dont they have Season DVDs like many tv series do now-a-days?
Because DVDs of already-played-on-TV shows are mostly rip-offs and scams (in North America, anyways). The MPAA has been known to extort TiVo and alike companies to remotely delete your recorded shows that are contained on DVDs they plan to sell, for example. It's all part of their war against the consumers and sucking every last penny out of them to wrench them over as many times as they can for the same content.

[/**AA rant]

Hi

Mike Nassour has hit the nail on the head. This is exactly the reason TG has not been done as box-sets so far. TG do use a huge number of music clips and the work required to substitute these for generic music would be huge.

Remember also that the Beeb is a big beast with a constant stream of properties coming to DVD - if it's a choice between using resources on TG or Dr Who (where there are no music problems), guess which one will get done...

I know there's a long-term ambition to do box-sets, but patience is the name of the game. The DVD guys will get round to it eventually but it might take a while...