Foreign students coming back to US: report

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The number of foreign students enrolling at US universities grew this year following a steady decline in the wake of the 2001 terrorist attacks, the Institute of International Education (IIE) said.

"America's colleges and universities have begun to see positive results from their proactive efforts to recruit international students and make them feel welcome on campus," Allan Goodman, president and chief executive officer of IIE, said in a statement.

The institute said in its Open Doors 2006 annual report that the number of foreign students at US colleges and universities increased by eight percent, or 142,923, for the 2005/2006 school year over the previous year.

It said the largest increases came from South Korea (up 10 percent to 58,847), Taiwan (up eight percent to 27,876), and Mexico (up seven percent to 13,931).

Despite a five percent overall drop, India continues to send the largest number of students to the US with 76,503 currently enrolled at colleges and universities, the report said.

It added that China, Nepal and Vietnam also sent large numbers of students to the US.

Officials attribute the increase to the easing of visa restrictions imposed in the wake of the 2001 terrorist attacks and to increased efforts by the US government and educators to attract more foreign students who contribute some 13.5 billion dollars to the US economy.

The Open Doors report said California remains the top destination for international students, followed by New York, Texas, Massachusetts and Florida.

The most popular fields of study for international students in 2005/06 were business and management, engineering and life sciences.

The institute also reported Monday that the number of American students studying abroad grew this year by eight percent to 205,983.

It said although universities in western Europe remain the top choice of these students, more and more were looking to China and India.

Latin American countries such as Brazil and Argentina are also drawing more US students.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061113/ts_alt_afp/afplifestyleusforeign_061113235350

Good news all around. I am just hoping that a few of those students decide to stay here.

I think that is a hint at Al Gore and his recent ecomentalism (i.e. An Inconvenient Truth).
It is good for the US. Afterall you most of you came from somewhere else. ;) Attracting bright and smart people is the key.

Why would Gore have a problem with the carriers? They are nuclear powered, it's the aircraft that burn the fuel, but we would burn less using a nuclear powered carrier to take the planes where they need to be instead of tanking them halfway around the globe whenever we need them.

And what do aircraft carriers have to do with foreign students studying in the US and US students studying abroad? :?

Good news all around. I am just hoping that a few of those students decide to stay here.

Good luck with that. When I was in university, all the Chinese foreign students went back to China. Why? Western education + ability to speak decent english automatically gets them an awesome position in China with big money. No point staying in North America and competing with all the native graduates for positions that pay significantly less.