Nov 18 - FE Gold XRT/RB4/FXO [6:40]

Well I've been hotlapping a bit today and I drove a 1:44:44 with the RB4, is that acceptable? It's "only" 11 secs slower than the WR ;)

Well I've been hotlapping a bit today and I drove a 1:44:44 with the RB4, is that acceptable? It's "only" 11 secs slower than the WR ;)
You should be able to knock quite a bit off of that with some practice.
After some practice, I was able to get a low 1:34 with the FXO, however I seem to get 1:35's most of the time.
I think the WR is astonishingly good though, but that's not surprising since Biggie set it.

This one?

[gvideo=-2809846174667955361]AS Club Season 2[/gvideo]

By the way, I'd love to be documenting our races through videos this year but my system drops to 8 FPS during recording :(

Yep, that's why you just record at 0.250 speed, then quadruple the speed in your video editing software. Then you'll get 32 fps source video.

That's what I done when making the Final Gear Season 2 video :)

don't worry... I'm even having trouble getting down to 1:40 with XRT, that car is so weird, if its a smooth corner (no dips and bumps), the car understeers which I like, hit one dip or bump and your back kicks out like anything... but I don't have time to practice much for this race anyways, so maybe we'll have a good race viper and snq :D

don't worry... I'm even having trouble getting down to 1:40 with XRT, that car is so weird, if its a smooth corner (no dips and bumps), the car understeers which I like, hit one dip or bump and your back kicks out like anything... but I don't have time to practice much for this race anyways, so maybe we'll have a good race viper and snq :D
Yeah, the XRT gets out of control easy especially with Fern Bays high curbs. Also hitting the grass just with one wheel seems to cause insta-spin on some parts of the track.

btw I am down to low 37s. So still a lot of practice needed.

I've actually tried the other cars as well now and the FXO wasn't as bad as i thought earlier, I actually managed to drive a 1:40 lap with it :) It does seem the tires wear out quite fast or it could just be my driving suddenly become bad after a fast lap (for my standard, that is), I didn't check ;)

I've actually tried the other cars as well now and the FXO wasn't as bad as i thought earlier, I actually managed to drive a 1:40 lap with it :) It does seem the tires wear out quite fast or it could just be my driving suddenly become bad after a fast lap (for my standard, that is), I didn't check ;)
Tyre wear is an issue with these cars. If you downloaded the setup from the teaminferno site (the setup link in the first post of this thread) it is made for hotlapping, so the tires won't last long. It needs to be modified so the tyres last better in longer races. Also you should avoid locking up the tires while braking and slipping the tires too much.

Yep, that's why you just record at 0.250 speed, then quadruple the speed in your video editing software. Then you'll get 32 fps source video.

That's what I done when making the Final Gear Season 2 video :)

Thanks for the tip :).

Yeah I can also do 1:35s all day in the FXO.

andyhui01, about that video comparing thing...no way is it correct to compare PC power to video quality. Video recording, compressing and editing is huge science. And better PC just gets things done faster.

edit: well, there is always option to make it in simple way...but this does not give good result.

About race...don't know if I'm able to join...it will appear probably in Friday night.

the XRT is still very hard to drive, its so unpredictable, I had a good first sector, did the chicane perfectly and while turning the left hander, my car spinned out :lol:... same goes with the twisty back roads, I missed the apex, went abit on the grass and my car was everywhere, I think I'll have a nice race with Viper and snq if they turn up :D

I can, just the quality will seriously suffer and there will be lots of stuttering probably.

You need a better PC then. I was just racing in single player (screwing around with mouse and keyboard) and decided to check out the reply and record it while I was at it.

With recording off, I was managing 75 FPS at 1600x1200 with max settings. When I hit record, my FPS dropped to around 30-35 FPS (dunno if that's a result of my PC or FRAPS limiting the FPS to my video FPS setting), but no stuttering or anything.

Here is the result:

[gvideo=2244459864351445229]LFS Video Test[/gvideo]

To see the actual quality (re-encoded in XviD with a quality setting of 6 in VirtualDub), here's the source file: http://static.finalgear.com/randomstuff/lfstest.avi [51.55 MB]

^ I'm building one Viper.

^ I'm building one Viper.

Ah, well you won't need a very good one to do so. My computer is hardly top of the line (P4 3GHz from over 2 years ago, 6800 GT, etc.). ;)

I'm not going high end. Intel Core 2 Duo 6300, MSI Neo3-F, 2GB PC-5400 DDR2, ATI X1900XT.

can someone plz help me try and get some good times:mrgreen: . if anyone is online at about 15:45 GMT, i wouldn't mind a buddy on there to help me. just to show me the lines and the braking points:) i don't think my setup is great either:-(

i'm driving the XRT at the moment

have you tried the RB4 matt? The XRT is a very hard car especially on this track because of the long sweeping bends where the XRT can turn from a turning the corner perfectly and then you push it abit more and it becomes a drift within 1/2 a second... The RB4 is a very stable car and I cannot make the decision on this but perhaps you could ask if you can drive the FXO again as that is simply the quickest and easiest car.

As for the lines, if you're unsure about it, download the replays on the first post and watch how the WR takes the corners, brakes, control the throttle etc... if you don't know how to do that, just add me on msn and I'll tell you ;), I could send you a setup as well, its from TeamInferno using one of the FE tracks, not too sure which one though.

RB4 rocks, but is just too damn slow. I'll probably drive it though as I'll have more fun than in the understeering POS FXO...

RB4 rocks, but is just too damn slow. I'll probably drive it though as I'll have more fun than in the understeering POS FXO...
Some setups make the FXO a bit oversteery, so drift into the corner, and then the car is straight for the full throttle out of the corner.... but yeah FXO=understeer :p

Matt: I think i can be 17:00 GMT online.

Some setups make the FXO a bit oversteery, so drift into the corner, and then the car is straight for the full throttle out of the corner.... but yeah FXO=understeer :p
Yeah, the one linked to here does that. Works quite well, but it's sometimes hard to get outta the drift. It lacks go-foward grip due to FWD, so I powerslide, but then slide backwards a lotta the time (i.e. wide). :(

Drifting in the race version FTW though!

Matt: I think i can be 17:00 GMT online.

I hate those setups :lol:... for the FXO, I like braking before I turn in (As in by the time I have to turn in, I'm about 90% done with my braking), turn in and give it abit of throttle... but remember viper, the Rb4 will get you very very far ahead in the beginning, if there are about 8 people, don't even bother qualifying as you'll end up in 1st if everyone drove FXO's :lol: