Next Mustang to be a sportwagon

vanMould

Car(s)
Volvo 480ES -88
Next Mustang to be a sportwagon!

Fords classic sportscar Mustang will get a new skin in 2010. It will get less retro, thougher and more modern, and it comes as a coupe, cabrio and - wagon!

The german site auto und motor sport which has information about the next generation Mustangs from a "usually well informet source". The information claims that it will be recognizable as a Mustang even from a distance, but the design leans less towards the iconic features from the sixties. It will get more forwardlooking, with, among other things, new age high-tech headlightcomplexes.

The long bonnet and the big grille will be more or less kept, but not as emphasized as before. The grille will be wider, but lower.

Now that GM has confirmed that the Chevrolet Camaro concept from this years Detroitshow will go into production spring 2009, Ford is expected to give the present Mustang a facelift before then. And it wouldnt really surprise if the new face gives a good idea of the next, brand new generation.

Our colleges on the german site also consider themselves knowing that the new Mustang will come in four different shapes: the classic coupe, as a soft-top cabrio and as a "halfwagon" with a big hatch on the back. Persistant rumours also speak of a completely new model: a sportwagon with an extended rear end, shooting brake-style - with plenty of room for at least two golfbags.

The Mustang will naturaly have rear wheel driva, but a accordning to some sources with a powerplant from australian Ford Falcon. The engine lineup will go from a 3.5 l V6 producing 280hp to a V8 with about 400 ponies.
And of course there will be a Shelby Mustang GT 500

Drawings can be found here (didn't manage to rip them though):
http://www.auto-motor-sport.de/news/fotoshows/ford_mustang_die_naechste_generation.132359.htm
The text in swedish can be found here:
http://www.automotorsport.se/nyhetsmall.asp?version=41569

A wagon?!?! Surely not.

And are they suggesting the next Falcon is getting a 3.5l V6?

Last edited:
The fastback version looks pretty sweet. It would be a nice throwback to the 60's cars.

The wagon version is just....weird.

That wagon design, if it were to come true (which I am sure it wont, at least with a Mustang badge) would surely herald the End Times.

Hang a new front end on it at least.

Someone call John Wayne, all these mustangs are becoming pests.

i must say that if it is indeed like the drawings, i don't think i'd mind it that much. thats was an aston martin kinda looks like anyway

I like the idea of a Mustang wagon.

Get used to it. :)

http://img464.imageshack.**/img464/7933/1965mmustangwagonwm8.png

I hope they keep the shape largely the same as the current one, but more muscley. And they better do up the chassis because it's not good unless you get one of the modified versions.

I like the idea of a Mustang wagon.

Get used to it. :)

http://img464.imageshack.**/img464/7933/1965mmustangwagonwm8.png

is this factory build? or done by some coachbuilder?

As far as I know it's a one off or at least made in very small numbers (like you could get the Jaguar XJS as a wagon from a British coachbuilder [Lynx] as well)

This would be sweet. I have no problem with a rear wheel drive V8 powered wagon with some driving dynamics. As long as they keep the coupe around I'm all for it.

This would be sweet. I have no problem with a rear wheel drive V8 powered wagon with some driving dynamics. As long as they keep the coupe around I'm all for it.

Are they trying to copy the Dodge Magnum? Is that car selling well btw?

Are they trying to copy the Dodge Magnum? Is that car selling well btw?

The Dodge Magnum has been selling very well.

The nameplate is getting on a bit, isn't it? Yet the same argument could be had against the Falcon. Interestingly, I don't ever remember the Mustang being sold in showrooms here, so prehaps the next one will make an apperance in Australia.

That smaller engine, supposedly sourced from Ford Australia... this makes me think that Ford isn't going to send the next-gen Falcon after the Commodore this time, I think we may find a more economical Falcon going up against the Toyota Aurion. I mean, Mitsubishi Australia is packing it's bags as far as manufacturing and Ford might see a better chance for the Falcon against the Aurion.That 3.5, 280 Hp...208 Kilowatts. I smell an Aurion challenger.

Peter

WTF a musang wagon. oh please no! how ugly would it look. the current mustang is boxy as it is, without a huge rear end. that is something ford does not need. and we won't want. if i wanted a sporty wagon i would go for a scooby any day.