Australian V8 Supercars

That was one of the best rounds of the year I think. Great racing! I think Rick is slowly edging closer to that title :D

Ingall's part in the race 3 incident was strange because he didn't get out of the throttle at any stage, even when it was clearly looking dangerous and ugly. Kinda reminds me of the Skaife-Ingall incident in 03'...

What about those lousy telecast times for the Bahrain round :thumbsdown: I'm not red hot about the series going overseas if it's going to change how us Aussie's have to view the series.

I've felt the momentum been's with Rick since Bathurst - Surfers was just a disaster for Lowndes, and now we have Rick in front after Lowndes' weekend-to-forget.

Having said that - Lowndes' drive in race 2 was exceptional - hell of a drive that salvaged something from the weekend. In terms of pure car speed the Toll cars are (imho) just that little bit quicker than the 888-mobiles (and Rick has Tander to help, whereas Whincup isn't able to consistently run right at the front just yet). It will be interesting to see what affect the position change at the top of the points has on the mindset of Rick & Craig.

I'd love to know what Lowndes thought when he saw that race 3 incident unravel in front of him - almost a replay of race 1...

The Bahrain times are a bit sucky - but don't forget you can watch the Saturday races in the usual Sunday afternoon time-slot, so it's not all bad.

Yeh what a crap last two rounds for Lowndes! this should be his championship, not snot nose Kelly! can't stop laughing at Skaifes misfortunes though, puts a comedic touch to the V8's.

Anyone see Lowndes in the Vodafone ads during the racing? Their sponsorship deal doesn't start with 888 until next year (reported to be the largest sponsorship deal money wise in Australian motorsport history).

Kelly doesn't deserve to win the Championship without a round win.

It's the bullshit scoreing system, so here's looking to next year.

I see your point (and feel the same way to an extent), but Rick's simply driving according to a flawed points system.

If he wins the championship there'll be plenty of people who feel the same way and will question how worthy his win was (similar to Ingall last year), but you can't really blame the guy for driving with an eye on the championship (and therefore driving to the points).

Theres every possibility he could win any of the remaining two rounds of the season based on how he's been going this year, particularly in the second half.

Even if he doesn't win - he's been about 100X more of a racer than Ingall was last year. Sure he won at Oran Park but he hardly challanged for position that entire year and ultimately used the crappy points structure to his advantage (and rightfully so).

I'm happy with the points structure for next year. Who knows how many people could be in with a shot of the championship this time next year.

Is there any website with decent hi-res photos with V8 Supercars?
I've been through half an internet and haven't ever found anything good. :(

Last edited:
def will, got the cameras batteries prepped, got backup sets, hopefully il get some good ones cos along with the race, there are gonna be a few shows of the local cars and some other stuff, for all three days

oh and i got a free poster, signed, when i picked up my ticket:
http://i10.tinypic.com/44ryn0i.jpg

I've just been watching the Bahrain race and I meant to ask this for a long time, I just keep forgetting... what does turning on the headlights mean? Is it just to distract the guy in front of him?

^ Somewhat - make sure they know you're there, nice and close. Also to get backmarker's attention when you approach them to lap them.

I don't like the V8's going overseas.

The telecast time was really bad. The track was similar to Shanghai in that it's charecterless compared to the good ol' Aussie tracks which have bumps, camber etc...

The crowd sit about 3-miles away from the race track itself (and race 1 crowds were very low). They expect more for races 2 and 3 apparently.

The lack of grip is silly! I can't believe that!!

I don't think it's worth the cost of going to Bahrain or China....they should try the American market instead because I feel they'll love it.

I personally like watching street circuits as well... new and perfectly modeled circuits are boring as hell... but it is funny watching cars slide :p

... new and perfectly modeled circuits are boring as hell...
Agreed and lets not mention just how much money is put into them.

The owners of the Shanghai and Bahrain tracks should watch an exciting round of the V8's at a track like Pukekohe in NZ. They'll shit bricks when they find out how much money the owners of that track put in :lmao:

I don't like the V8's going overseas.

The telecast time was really bad.

It didn't bother me too much, but they should be re-airing Friday's race today (as they're doing with tonight's coverage on Sunday)

The track was similar to Shanghai in that it's charecterless compared to the good ol' Aussie tracks which have bumps, camber etc...

The crowd sit about 3-miles away from the race track itself (and race 1 crowds were very low). They expect more for races 2 and 3 apparently.

Valid points - the only new track that has some character is Turkey. I'll be very interested to see what the crowds for races 2 and 3 are. But it is just the first year, so it takes time to build.

I don't think it's worth the cost of going to Bahrain or China....they should try the American market instead because I feel they'll love it.

Financially there's no cost in going to Bahrain (nor China for that matter) - all of the team's costs are covered, and Bahrain pays a handsome fee to host the event, so it's a win financially.

As for America - they have NASCAR, and they also have several tin-top categories, plus I'm not sure anyone over there would be prepared to make the financial outlay required. It would however be interesting to know what some of our American members think of a race in the 'states.

Agreed and lets not mention just how much money is put into them.

The owners of the Shanghai and Bahrain tracks should watch an exciting round of the V8's at a track like Pukekohe in NZ. They'll shit bricks when they find out how much money the owners of that track put in :lmao:

You have to remember than when countries like China & Bahrain have built their mega-circuits, they're investing in more than just a track - it's about drawing attractions and prestigous events to the country, building the country's profile and part of encouraging tourism. So while the money is spent on the circuit itself, it's really all part of a much bigger game. Whereas track owners here are purely investing funds to just improve the track, not increase Australia or NZ's standing in the world.

Last edited:
It didn't bother me too much, but they should be re-airing Friday's race today (as they're doing with tonight's coverage on Sunday)
But what I'm saying is we shouldn't have to watch a race at those hours, ever. And yes there's a re-air but if your a diehard fan (like me), you'll always try catch it on the first occation possible.

Financially there's no cost in going to Bahrain (nor China for that matter) - all of the team's costs are covered, and Bahrain pays a handsome fee to host the event, so it's a win financially.

As for America - they have NASCAR, and they also have several tin-top categories, plus I'm not sure anyone over there would be prepared to make the financial outlay required. It would however be interesting to know what some of our American members think of a race in the 'states.
At that point, I was thinking more of the cost of sacrificing good racing rather than the financial cost, but you are right about it anyways.

As for America, little ol' me thinks they'll love it because they have an interest in the V8 muscle car, not to mention they're loving our Holden exports. They do have plenty of racing there but I'd like to think they want more of it.

You have to remember than when countries like China & Bahrain have built their mega-circuits, they're investing in more than just a track - it's about drawing attractions and prestigous events to the country, building the country's profile and part of encouraging tourism. So while the money is spent on the circuit itself, it's really all part of a much bigger game. Whereas track owners here are purely investing funds to just improve the track, not increase Australia or NZ's standing in the world.
All true but I was just having a little crack at their investment :p Gotta admit, that NZ race is so damn exciting at such a small (relative) cost!!

^Which brings me onto the announcement of the Pukekohe race being replaced by a Hamilton race, which I heard on the news this morning. I REALLY loved Pukekohe!!

But what I'm saying is we shouldn't have to watch a race at those hours, ever. And yes there's a re-air but if your a diehard fan (like me), you'll always try catch it on the first occation possible.

True - and I don't like having to watch it so late (re-airs are for the weak :p), but if it's just the one race meeting, and it helps to build the sport and teams financially, then that's going to be a benefit. So yes it sucks, but if it benefits the sport I can deal with it once a year.

At that point, I was thinking more of the cost of sacrificing good racing rather than the financial cost, but you are right about it anyways.

Ah, right, fair enough then - but what if the Bahrain track did provide great racing (not that I see it happening), how much would that change how you feel? (not flaming, genuinely interested)

All true but I was just having a little crack at their investment :p Gotta admit, that NZ race is so damn exciting at such a small (relative) cost!!

^Which brings me onto the announcement of the Pukekohe race being replaced by a Hamilton race, which I heard on the news this morning. I REALLY loved Pukekohe!!

Yeah Puki does generate great racing, but the problem is the car have outgrown the circuit safety-wise, and with the horse racing track there's not much they can do to improve the safety.

Fingers-crossed Hamilton provides good racing - but being a street race we can no doubt expect some big repair bills, which is amusing given the current driven to reduce costs in the sport...

Ah, right, fair enough then - but what if the Bahrain track did provide great racing (not that I see it happening), how much would that change how you feel? (not flaming, genuinely interested)
That would be much better but to an extent. I really want good racing but I also want the V8's to be aired at decent times. It just didn't feel right at all watching the V8's past midnight. Add to that the boring racing that went on in race 1 and I WAS nodding off by the end.

The V8's have always been known for good racing on our Aussie tracks. Going overseas and seeking out the most boringest of tracks for the V8's to visit frustrates me. Again - this comes back to the cost of sacrifising good racing.

Anyway - hopefully theres a desert storm in todays race. That'll make it interesting :p

^I don't know why the late telecast time bothers you though SL, I actually like it... I find it harder to catch the V8 races when the airs in the afternoon, I'll only watch it if I'm free... the only exception is Bathurst which I make an effort to watch.
So Sometimes night time works for me, I got home just in time to watch the last 10laps or so last night, that guys brake disc catching fire was pretty funny.

I don't mind the V8s going overseas for one round per season (excluding NZ because that's not far away) but if they are going to go overseas they need to find a track that suits the cars.