Hong Kong Offers 1GBPS Residential FTTH

The reason for that is outfitting a high rise or high density housing with fiber costs Verizon A LOT more than running trunk lines down suburban streets. Burying cable is cheaper than getting fiber pulled through an entire building. (They have to pull ethernet to each housing unit from the phone box location, adding to the cost). The suburbs also tend to have more higher spending people (More people willing to subscribe to HBO, Cinemax, etc...), because even though those people exist in cities, they tend to spend their money in the city (seeing movies in theaters, etc...) as opposed to watching them at home.

..but if you think about the commercial possibilities alone... a 60 story building, already run with cat 5e (as most are) and businesses that would look at the 30 mbps/15mbps $200/month package as cheap, it would seem like a gold mine.

granted, i agree that older high rise residential buildings could be a real pain, but outside of the high-rises, a typical square mile of city rowhomes has many more households than a square mile in the 'burbs, and really, Verzon's pricing for FIOS was about $5 a month cheaper than what i am paying them for DSL now, and about $15 a month cheaper than Comcrap.

I'm really only bitching about this as a personal point, having had FIOS, and then lost it when i moved :cry: I've heard arguements about Verizon needing to dig up streets to rin fiber in the city, but in Philly this is completely false, as the majority of utilities are run in easily accessible tunnels underground - gas and water are the only things they need to tear up the streets for.

...anyway, i'll stop crying...

i know the problem with FIOS here in southern california and many other places is that they need to dig up the street and property to lay the fiberoptic lines, not ethernet type wired lines, and you can't bend fiberoptic cables or easily/reliably snake them like copper wires, fibers break pretty easily and a single fracture completely ruins the signal, thus the whole PITA aspect of installing it all.

with that in mind, they do it by area in chunks, like how cable internet was/is introduced to places. when you have a wide suburban street, send in a truck or 2 and dig up the street, then offer everyone the service. in any downtown situation, there's no plausible way to dig up the street regardless of the potential market, especially with utilities already mangled and twisted everywhere.

i hope FIOS shows up here soon, Time Warner is even worse than Adelphia (which was run by crooks in the first place), so now i'm stuck with horrible customer service, steep prices, and crappy reliability.:boohoo:

Right, my concern was running ethernet lines through multi-unit buildings (because the fiber would terminate at a phone box in the basement or first floor of the building). Many properties don't have easy ability for Verizon to run those lines to their customers.

I agree fiber is MUCH harder to run, as a result of the fragility of it, which is probably another reason they want to start with the suburbs (as the land in the suburbs isn't as dense with utilities, because the housing units aren't as dense.

By the end of next year, about the same number of people (800.000) will have the option of getting FTTH here. They're laying down the cables now.

Code:
1 Mbps / 1 Mbps	            3.500 SIT	   14,61 EUR
2 Mbps / 2 Mbps	            5.500 SIT	   22,95 EUR
5 Mbps / 5 Mbps	            6.500 SIT	   27,12 EUR
10 Mbps / 10 Mbps	   10.000 SIT	   41,73 EUR
20 Mbps / 20 Mbps	   13.500 SIT	   56,33 EUR
50 Mbps / 50 Mbps	   50.000 SIT	  208,65 EUR
100 Mbps / 100 Mbps	  100.000 SIT     417,29 EUR
1 Gbps / 1 Gbps	        1.000.000 SIT	4.172,93 EUR

Internet pricing and download limits in Australia are terriable but somewhat understandable given location and population density (HIBIS is a joke, why should my taxes be used to give people living in the middle of nowhere ADSL2+ before I can even get ADSL1)

I pay AUD$70 for 20mbit/256kbit connection (yes that is right it's that crud) with a whole 10gb of monthly usage at which point it's slowed to 128kbit (when capping works of course) oh and uploads are counted as traffic as well.

So yeah I think I can complain about my net....

Internet pricing and download limits in Australia are terriable but somewhat understandable given location and population density (HIBIS is a joke, why should my taxes be used to give people living in the middle of nowhere ADSL2+ before I can even get ADSL1)

I pay AUD$70 for 20mbit/256kbit connection (yes that is right it's that crud) with a whole 10gb of monthly usage at which point it's slowed to 128kbit (when capping works of course) oh and uploads are counted as traffic as well.

So yeah I think I can complain about my net....

Hey at least you can get ADSL+2 - I'm paying the same amount for a 1.5mbit connection with 20gb usage.

Uploads are counted? So you're with Bigpond* eh?

* Australia's monopoly Telco's retail isp - and the only major isp in the country to count uploads towards usage.

Hey at least you can get ADSL+2 - I'm paying the same amount for a 1.5mbit connection with 20gb usage.

Uploads are counted? So you're with Bigpond* eh?

* Australia's monopoly Telco's retail isp - and the only major isp in the country to count uploads towards usage.

No I can't get ADSL2+ either, I'm on cable :S and yes I'm on tel$scum cable :S :S :S

^ Yeah I realised after I posted that you might be on cable, and therefore another victim of Hellstra. :comfort:

^^^

AHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH you're funny....

Telstra being the tards they are don't even let you get ADSL2+ unless your on an exchange that one of the competitors offer ADSL2+ as well from, some crap saying they want regulatory protection.

I've got a 20mbps/1000kbps from wanadoo (Now Orange) here in Spain for 43euros. The good bit is that I get free landline callsin Spain and 1000 minutes per month of international calls bundled in.

Last edited:
here in sweden most towns have a "town-network" which isps can use to bring high speed internet to residents in the town. Several 100000 apartments are hooked up this way, which is quite a lot in a country with only 9M citizens and a population density of 20/km?. I have a 10/10Mbit connection for 27?/month, but with the choice to have 100/100 for something like 40?, these prices are possible cause the town networks are tax financed..