ABS. Best invention ever!

I'd forgotten where I heard it before, I knew I didn't have it 100% correct.:p

^:lmao:... but btw, I'm surprised they don't teach you how to do emergency braking in Australia, I know in Asian countries, most of them make you do one emergency stop (Regardless of whether the car has ABS or not, you should know how to pump or release at the threshold to show the instructor you have knowledge of that incase your ABS fails).

I'm not saying I don't know how to emergency brake. All my cars bar one have had ABS, without a single accident. However, I'm not that far up my arse to believe that I'm faster than a computer performing at hundreds of times a second.

ABS may not be great on a race track, or on gravel roads, it may not get you to your destination quicker, but for day to day driving, I wouldn't give it up.

^:lmao:... but btw, I'm surprised they don't teach you how to do emergency braking in Australia, I know in Asian countries, most of them make you do one emergency stop (Regardless of whether the car has ABS or not, you should know how to pump or release at the threshold to show the instructor you have knowledge of that incase your ABS fails).

Sadly our licence testing doesn't include that (in Victoria anyway) - such enlightened thinking is well beyond those in power. That said - having to learn the technique to get a licence is one thing - being able to camly apply it in a true total panic, emergency situation is quite another - and that's why ABS is so important.

I'm not saying I don't know how to emergency brake. All my cars bar one have had ABS, without a single accident. However, I'm not that far up my arse to believe that I'm faster than a computer performing at hundreds of times a second.

ABS may not be great on a race track, or on gravel roads, it may not get you to your destination quicker, but for day to day driving, I wouldn't give it up.

Well said.

Some ABS are rather nicely tuned, I remember driving a friend's 1999 Subie STi and it was astonishing how its ABS allows you to brake very hard and very late entering a corner, even allowing the car to skid a bit into the corner entrance, so you can floor the throttle earlier.

And ABS are more and more common in racing. If you know well how to brake without, you should be able to cope with them (except on snow where it's absolutely dreadful).

Last edited:
speaking of which, guys in Melbourne, has anyone noticed that the quality of asphalt they use on the road in Melbourne is thinner and usually in poorer quality? I noticed this because when I drive here, it feels like its so much easier to wheelspin compared to other places (I have only driven in Malaysia besides here, so I couldn't make a good comparison), I then asked my dad if he felt a difference, he was like yea, the asphalt they use is probably of a poorer grade compared to the ones they use in Hong Kong or something... I think that will affect your braking as well.

you'd hope that Hong Kong had far better pavement than we do, according to ever relaible wikipedia Hong Kong has 1831Km of paved roads, Australia on the other hand has 353,331km so yeah you'd kinda hope Hong Kong had better grade pavement. Mayalsia has 49,935km, again far far less.

Though I don't agree with you on the wheel spin comment, even in some of the more extreme weather we've had i've never had a problem.

Like it has been posted here a few times before, but knowing how it should be done and practicing it in an empty parking lot is something completely different than being in that actual emergency situation, where you just bury the pedal in the carpet. And in certain environments, that reaction alone is enough to make you lose control.
The reaction is very natural. You know the brakes stop the car, you want them to do that as fast as possible, so your first (panicked) response will always be to bury the pedal in the carpet.

I can understand that ABS can get in the way when you're driving in certain environments, but i'm happy to do so because i KNOW it WILL save my life.