Test drove a Solstice.

Oh come on... like eating ramen noodles for 5 years is something hard to do...
the second you see that Lotus Elise in your drive way...
You'll forget the pain and the malnutrition
:lmao:

But your ass will be too large to fit inside the elise (ramen noodle contains a very high amount of saturated fats)

Man, you are REALLY Asian! :p

..and experience a whole new type of pain and malnutrition, in the form of open welds, no a/c, and cardboard seats. but will it ever be worth it!

If you are planning on buying a Solstice or Sky, i would definatley wait a little bit. Demand at the moment causes markup that isnt really worth it (around here anyway). If you go used after a year or so, i'd be willing to bet that you can get one for less than you would expect.

Except that, as with any GM car with a blower, you'll get this wretchedly annoying, intentionally-programed lag in the throttle response from idling. It makes normal starts frustrating and jack-rabbit starts impossible, unless you're prepared for it before-hand.

Not true at all. I had a Sky Red Line, and the one thing I was shocked at was the virtual absence of turbo lag. Because the turbocharger is a dual-scroll type, and also because the engine uses direct fuel injection (like Audi's FSI system), turbo-lag is virtually non-existent. There is, however, a trade-off; a dual-scroll turbo isn't as efficient at higher RPM than a traditional single-scroll turbo.

Even still, with 260 bhp, the Red Line was an absolute blast to drive; I've driven most of the cars in that segment (two-seat roadsters), and the only one I had more fun in was a Porsche Boxster. I would say overall, the Solstice GXP/ Sky Red Line are on par with the S2000 in terms of sheer driving pleasure, and are better than some of the more expensive cars in this segment (350Z roadster, BMW Z4).

Alrite, Im not sure what cars you are use to but I test drove a sky and solstice and it was crap! It rolled too much in corners, and had no power wut so ever. I'd accidently, yet chornically red line the car cause i kept on waiting for the car to enter its power band. Apparently the red line comes first.

Plus even if after 5 years of eating ramen, if you can afford to purchase an elise, doesn't mean you can afford to maintain it.

That being said, elises are getting pretty cheap now a days. Low 30s, for a high mileage 05. However, the mileage or the year doesn't change the cost of tires and maintance.

I have to say when people ask for the 3rd time "Thats a Saturn?" I always say...its a rebadged Opel for the NA market."

But seriously why the hate. They are fun cheap cars. Look pretty good and right now not to many around. I have not had a problem with it at all...and the 3 cupholders are kinda handy, the one by the passenger legs doubles as my Ipod holder, all good.
I really do not see/feel body roll.

The Solstice was built here in mind of the fat asses to skinny asses ratio in the States. Which in turn is a lot more roomy. If I wanted roomy I would have got a STi or something...I mean 3 cup holders? Thats not a sport car that they are trying to make it as. I just love the S2000 interior where everything is at arm's reach and nothing to distract you except a digital cluster gauge from 1k to 9k =D
I don't get the bile against cupholders that some people have. There's nothing wrong with having one or two cupholders so you can set a drink down without spilling it all over the place. Do you have to be fat or lazy do be able to do that?

You can't be a hard-edged racecar driver all the time, so there's nothing wrong with sipping a Pepsi from time to time while you drive.

That said, S2000s are great cars, and I'm looking to get one myself.

Red seats! :happy:

Last edited:
I don't get the bile against cupholders that some people have. There's nothing wrong with having one or two cupholders so you can set a drink down without spilling it all over the place. Do you have to be fat or lazy do be able to do that?\

You can't be a hard-edged racecar driver all the time, so there's nothing wrong with sipping a Pepsi from time to time while you drive.

All 3 of the cars I've owned didn't have any cupholders and it fucking sucked. Hell, just today I had to get lunch and eat on the highway and almost spilled my goddamn drink everytime I shifted.

Alrite, Im not sure what cars you are use to but I test drove a sky and solstice and it was crap! It rolled too much in corners, and had no power wut so ever. I'd accidently, yet chornically red line the car cause i kept on waiting for the car to enter its power band. Apparently the red line comes first.
You'd think the Miata was a Cadillac if you thought a Solstice rolled too much. In every test I've read the Solstice beats the MX-5, especially in handling, not to mention the Solstice won the SCCA Championship.

I don't get the bile against cupholders that some people have. There's nothing wrong with having one or two cupholders so you can set a drink down without spilling it all over the place. Do you have to be fat or lazy do be able to do that?\

Mine has one and thats enough for me. I mean my passenger doesn't need one, since their just sitting there with both of their hands free anyways lol. Ohwell whatever, to each his own i guess

You want a useless cup holder you should try in my Honda Integra, it has a cup holder it just doesn't fit a bottle of coke (or shudder pepsi) and if you do manage to wedge a bottle of your fine beverage in there you can't actually use the radio controls and you knock your hand on the bottle everytime you shift to first, third or fifth.

You want a useless cup holder you should try in my Honda Integra, it has a cup holder it just doesn't fit a bottle of coke (or shudder pepsi) and if you do manage to wedge a bottle of your fine beverage in there you can't actually use the radio controls and you knock your hand on the bottle everytime you shift to first, third or fifth.

^ This man speaks the truth! (I own a '97 ;-))

Buy a bottle of water. Healthier for you, and you don't need to worry about a cupholder.

The Solstice was built here in mind of the fat asses to skinny asses ratio in the States. Which in turn is a lot more roomy. If I wanted roomy I would have got a STi or something...I mean 3 cup holders? Thats not a sport car that they are trying to make it as. I just love the S2000 interior where everything is at arm's reach and nothing to distract you except a digital cluster gauge from 1k to 9k =D

The Ecotec is like an S2000 engine that never hits vtec... Sure you have 100tq but thats nothing to boast about when you only have 177hp. I'll probably make up those few feet with the extra 3k rpm I got (figure of speech).

Less expensive yes, I can't argue there. The Solstice for a overall car is a great car, its a good city car and for close to 7-8k budget difference thats a lot of money to save. But thats 7-8k more what the Solstice falls way short of S2000 level.
For one thing, I am considering a S2000. It's on my list. But like I said, if I did get a S2K, it would be used and higher mileage. I've checked prices in my area and the early models with less then 60k miles are still going for over $20k. It's still a possibility, but I'm not going to buy private party. The car I buy will be a daily driver and I don't want a worn out tired S2K with 100+k miles on it. And just to clarify yet again, I KNOW the Solstice isn't a fast car. Reminding me that your $34k S2K can beat a $19k Solstice on a track is pointless. The only thing I was trying to point out was the Solstice weighs as much as a S2K and isn't far off in terms of power. That's all.

djdorifto said:
I have a 2000 almost a 7 and a half (car came out in late 99), that I got used with only 10k miles on it. Got it for 20k cash out the door. It now has 33k on it almost a year and half ago. No problems what so ever, I take it to the road course, and drive back home without a worry in the world that it will break down on me. A solstice for me would be a car I wouldn't go around a track and not have anything go wrong with it.

So, with the 4-5k I saved from a new Solstice, I'd get my SC and mods and make a awesome 350ish hp on a stock engine well into the 100k miles without any worries.
I'll make you a deal. If I can find a year old S2000 with less then 15k miles for $20grand, at a dealership, I'll buy it. But I do find it funny that you question the reliability of an all new car that was just released. I've heard of Ecotec's pushing 2000hp in racing form, it's a robust motor, if not rev-happy. The S2000 makes me nervous because the laws of physics only go so far when you're pushing 110hp per liter. Now you're saying to pump it up to 175hp per liter "No Worries"? I'd worry. Everytime I accelerate hard I'd be waiting for the sound of a connecting rod flying through the oil pan.

djdorifto said:
I love this quote about the Solstice I found at their forum...
+ To see it is to love it
- To drive it is to hate it
You make it sound like I didn't just drive it 48 hours ago.

I liked it when I saw it. And I fucking loved it after driving it. To each his own.

Last edited:
You'll like the MX-5 a lot more, my friend just sold his, he had a mazda speed intake and exhaust, the thing is soo fun, throwing it into corner, and that 6 sp tranny is incredible, my only complaint was the clutch which had like no back pressure to it, and the fact that im 6' 3'' makes me feel a little uncomfortable in the car. Although it is much much better than a solstice or a S2000 on space.
I really like the MX5 and have a good friend who owns one and wants me to join the club. But the MX5 is pretty soft stock. It has horrendous body roll. My friend bought a set of Mazdaspeed coilovers first thing to solve the problem. I like the previous generation more, I have to admit. A turbo Mazdaspeed model would be very nice and within my budget.

All 3 of the cars I've owned didn't have any cupholders and it fucking sucked. Hell, just today I had to get lunch and eat on the highway and almost spilled my goddamn drink everytime I shifted.

You'd think the Miata was a Cadillac if you thought a Solstice rolled too much. In every test I've read the Solstice beats the MX-5, especially in handling, not to mention the Solstice won the SCCA Championship.

Hmm... Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10244/affordable-roadsters.html

First place: Mazda MX-5

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=2907&page_number=2

stats

Yes the solstice may handle better according to the magazines. However, let's not forget that most first generation cars come with a lot of problems... namely the infamous differential leaks.

If you are planning on buying a Solstice or Sky, i would definatley wait a little bit. Demand at the moment causes markup that isnt really worth it (around here anyway). If you go used after a year or so, i'd be willing to bet that you can get one for less than you would expect.
I'm not going to rush into anything. I plan on test driving everything first and then screw around with the dealerships to see what they'll offer me. I'm in no real rush this time around. I plan on keeping whatever car I buy for a long time.

That wasnt a test drive, that was a marketing speech.
You know, I'd rather the Solstice be unpopular and have no one buy it. Then the prices would go down and the car would be more exclusive and rare.
I was just giving my honest opinion about the car. And I'll probably do a write up for every car I test drive for comparison sake.

What did you expect from TomCat testing a GM car? ;)

But i agree it looks pretty nice.
Well, I will admit my bias. But I like to think it keeps me open minded towards domestics, as well. The Solstice is the only American car on my list.

Plus even if after 5 years of eating ramen, if you can afford to purchase an elise, doesn't mean you can afford to maintain it.

That being said, elises are getting pretty cheap now a days. Low 30s, for a high mileage 05. However, the mileage or the year doesn't change the cost of tires and maintance.
I'd expect someone who owns an Elise to be a bit more in touch. I could say I drove an Elise and it was crap. It was slow and cornered horribly. It was nothing like my shifter cart. blah blah blah

The Solstice is a basic $19k roadster. It's not a tiny plastic $40k track car. But you are right about one thing, buying the car is only half the battle. Insurance for a 22 year old on a sports car is not going to be pretty. The word "Rape" springs to mind. An Elise is completely out of the question. I don't even know if I could afford the insurance on a new S2K to be honest. Might have to force my parents to insure it for me.

Mine has one and thats enough for me. I mean my passenger doesn't need one, since their just sitting there with both of their hands free anyways lol. Ohwell whatever, to each his own i guess
That reminds me. I did find the placement of the twin cup holders irritating. When I got out of the car after driving it, I noticed that the cup holders were out, I must have hit it with my elbow when shifting. That could get annoying.

Last edited: