Electronicaly Limited Top Speed

There is a huge difference between 180mph and 155mph. 180 feels a lot faster and you have to consider that kinetic energy is 1/2*m*v?, so your chance to survive an accident is a lot worse. We had that discussion multiple times now and it would be wise to use the search function, it has been explained by several people.

Oh and I know no people who didn't test the top speed of their cars at least once.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot everyone for answering and shedding some light on this whole thing for me. I find this limited top speed thing ridiculous because there is not much of a difference between going 155 or 180 if you unrestrict it and besides its not as if everyone that buys cars like that will be doing those kinds of speeds daily...

Ok so theres not a lot of difference between 155 and 180. Fine then put it up to 180. But there isn't a lot of difference between 180 and 190 so we mght aswell go to that. Infact theres no point stopping at 190 lets go for 200 as the difference between 190 and 200 is so small.
There has to be a limit and I would say 155mph is a sensible limit.

Well you misunderstood what I meant to say. What I was trying to say is that 155mph is already VERY fast. I currently live in Canada and I'm more used to measuring speed in km/h so 250km/h is incredibly fast for me, my car's top speed is 220 and it's old so I don't know if it would crack 200, the fastest that I have ever drove it was 165. That's basically because we have no autobahns in here and if you get pulled over driving at such speed there is a huge fine that waits for you and you might lose your licence because they take off a hell of a lot of points. Back on topic. What I meant all along is that 250km/h is already so fast and it's already unsafe to drive at those kinds of speeds so restricting the car seems sort of pointless to me. I would understand if all the cars would be restricted to the same speed but they're not.

I've done 200km/h on ze Autobahn when I visited Germany, and was being passed by Golf diesels. I drove from Koln to Berlin in a day so I got a good amount of driving done in different areas and got a good sence of roads in Germany. 155mph is plenty fast. Wasn't there a Fifth Gear segment where Jason tried to do 155mph and couldnt do it because of traffic?

Not to mention that going over 155mph on public roads is totally retarded and irresponsible, Autobahn or otherwise.
:lmao:

Have you ever been to germany? Have you ever driven on one of our Autobahns?

Just to get an impression: Go to www.gt3000.com -> videos -> mixed -> GT3 highway video
He averaged 266 Km/H (equals about 164mph).

When you are not used to these speeds you may find it ridiculous. But it isn?t, it works. Autobahns are not racetracks, but you can travel a higher speeds without risking your life. There are very few highspeed crashes in germany. When you crash at 155mph you are likely to die, but it rarely happens because you pay more attention when you go that fast.

edit:
Vitamin J: He did it. He hit 155mph. Some Autobahns are often jammed, some are almost free of cars outside of rushhour.

Last edited:
I drove on the autobahn with mah volvo 745 glt! that was seriously annoying! i wished i brought my modded vr6 instead

Back on topic. What I meant all along is that 250km/h is already so fast and it's already unsafe to drive at those kinds of speeds so restricting the car seems sort of pointless to me. I would understand if all the cars would be restricted to the same speed but they're not.

The initial idea was to restrict all cars on that speed. The only one breaking out was Porsche because they feared a great lack of reputation of their competence as a sport car manufactor if they limited the top speed of their cars. Once again: that agreement was set at a time when the fastest car Mercedes had to offer was their brand new 326hp 500 SL which back the was the most powerful and ONLY model of the whole range to reach 250 kph (even the 560 SE was doing 240 kph max. speed), the same applied to BMW (only 12 cyl. models and the M5 joined the 250kph club),the fastest Audi was the 245kph V8, Ford and Opel reached 240kph with the numberwise very rare Sierra Cosworth and the Omega 3000, and VW wasn't reaching more than 225kph with the Corrado G60, the fastest Passat back the struggled already at 200kph! No French or Japanese cars came near 250kph (don't try to get me with the 300ZX as that only was listed in the sales brochures over here), and only exotic Italian and British cars were going significiantly faster than 200kph as well. That's basically where the 250kph came form - it was affecting practically nobody back then.

As for the safety: there are much more accidents reported on country roads than on the Autobahn in Germany and please don't forget that only some minor stretches are unrestricted at all. And though plenty of people try out the top speed of their cars once the majority is travelling at considerably slower speed. (I cannot imagine my grandpa going fatsre than 120kph for example :) )

^ i'm with him!

Somewhat offtopic, but doesn't like Montana have no highway speed limits?

Too bad, probably the only reason anyone would visit it. :lmao:

Yeah, the national speed limit is now 75mph, but you aren't likely to be pulled over in Montana or Wyoming unless you're doing over 90mph.

Well that's not much... even here you can be almost certain of not getting pulled over unless you're going more than 20 above the limit.

Whaaat? You don't get pulled over in Vancouver unless your doing 20mph over? Here in Montreal the cops are pains in the ass, if you go 10 over, your getting a ticket. My dad got a ticket two weeks ago doing 62 where the limit was 50. And they have a tendency to follow younger people so they could find some excuse to pull you over and write a ticket.

Well that's not much... even here you can be almost certain of not getting pulled over unless you're going more than 20 above the limit.
I doubt they'll let you go if you're doing 95 on the highway, 65 in a 45, or 55 in a 35. The least I've been pulled over for is 7 over, but I didn't get a ticket. My smallest ticket was 15 over and my largest 22 over. Now I have a red license weeeeeee.

maybe a little statistic...

in 2006 new cars sold in germany

17% with 68 ps

54,5% with 68 to 136 ps

27,1% with 136 to 190 ps

cars with more than 340 ps just 0,8%

do the math how many cars a really on the road which are capable to do the 155mph
many mercs,bmw,audis on the autobahn over here drive fast, but only a small %age drives faster than 155mph..

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I said that thing a few posts above. Ignore it...