Pontiac will make next G6 rear-drive

i dont really understand why GM wouldnt make the Cobalt SS RWD. People who buy G6's arent performance freaks

because none of its competitors are RWD either, you dont see any RWD gti's, Si's, or SE-R's...and i dont think thats a problemt anyways, because i hear its supposed to be a pretty good car..and i saw some idiot racer kids drivin round in one by my Best Buy, it sounds prettyyy goooodddd:)

RWD FTW.

Great to see a carmaker making the move back to RWD.

I can remember reading somewhere that Pontiac was trying to go back to RWD cars. Granted, most of the cars they are "making" are just re-badged Holdens. First we get the Monaro/GTO, next up I saw a rumor of what the next Grand Prix is going to be. Some RWD sedan from Aussie land with a V8.

I can remember reading somewhere that Pontiac was trying to go back to RWD cars. Granted, most of the cars they are "making" are just re-badged Holdens. First we get the Monaro/GTO, next up I saw a rumor of what the next Grand Prix is going to be. Some RWD sedan from Aussie land with a V8.
Yeah, the new Grand Prix will be a Holden, but it's a good Holden. The G6 will be a completely new design, though.

because none of its competitors are RWD either, you dont see any RWD gti's, Si's, or SE-R's...and i dont think thats a problemt anyways, because i hear its supposed to be a pretty good car..and i saw some idiot racer kids drivin round in one by my Best Buy, it sounds prettyyy goooodddd:)
Im just saying that the Cobalt being RWD would definately give it a big advantage over its competitors as opposed to the G6.

My bet is that Pontiac will become a home for re-badged Holdens :( Which is sad. GM's new small-ish (about the size of the compact Commodores/Nissan Skyline) RWD car will probably be along the lines of the Holden TT36 Torana concept, sadly the twin turbos probably won't make it to production.....but we can hope!!!

Several Holden CEO's have over the years have wanted to export Holdens AS Holdens to the US of A, but everytime its been shot down....Holdens previous CEO evidently had a go at "The Americans" which run GM who are a weeeee bit too patriotic (I have the interview somewhere)

But as for RWD cars, well most of the cars here are RWD, both Holden and Ford have both at times been put under pressure from the US to goto FWD cars, but they haven't. Toyota and Mitsubishi also build large cars here, but they are FWD.

both of which never enjoyed the same popularity of the commodore or falcon....

My bet is that Pontiac will become a home for re-badged Holdens :( Which is sad. GM's new small-ish (about the size of the compact Commodores/Nissan Skyline) RWD car will probably be along the lines of the Holden TT36 Torana concept, sadly the twin turbos probably won't make it to production.....but we can hope!!!

Several Holden CEO's have over the years have wanted to export Holdens AS Holdens to the US of A, but everytime its been shot down....Holdens previous CEO evidently had a go at "The Americans" which run GM who are a weeeee bit too patriotic (I have the interview somewhere)

But as for RWD cars, well most of the cars here are RWD, both Holden and Ford have both at times been put under pressure from the US to goto FWD cars, but they haven't. Toyota and Mitsubishi also build large cars here, but they are FWD.

The problem is that GM does not need to market another brand in the US. In fact they have gotten rid of one, Oldsmobile.

The LAST thing GM needs is another brand. Do you really want to see a Holden Venture, or a Holden Trailblazer?

I hope we get the same platform to make a new Torana :) But I remember some article saying that they couldn't build the Torana (as in turning the tt36 into production) due to costs. They said it wouldn't be competitive enough price wise, I believe.

I hope we get the same platform to make a new Torana :) But I remember some article saying that they couldn't build the Torana (as in turning the tt36 into production) due to costs. They said it wouldn't be competitive enough price wise, I believe.

Correct. Simply put, with the Torana, Holden took the GM Kappa platform and completely transformed it into the Torana. GM North America got sh*tty with Holden as they told Holden to 'keep it simple', but Holden couldn't due to the platform. The cost to produce the Torana would be too much due the major modification holden made.

Now GM are going to build a larger more flexable 'Kappa 2 based' platform (Not smaller Zeta) rumoured to be called 'Alpha'. It should provide models for Pontiac, Holden, Caddy with others to follow. The release year I have seen was 2010.

Humph why don't they ditch Pontiac, from the sounds of things it doesn't sound like the Americans like the brand too much.....

Maybe GM America should simplify it all: Chevy for cars made on the American continent, Opel for the cars from Europe, Daewoo (or something else) for the ones from Asia, Holden for the cars from Australia and Saturn for the top of the range stuff no matter where it is from, inc the Corvette....

However everybody will get upset about history and the like....which I can completly understand being a Alfa Romeo owner! :) Still maybe they have simply lost the plot?

Humph why don't they ditch Pontiac, from the sounds of things it doesn't sound like the Americans like the brand too much.....

Maybe GM America should simplify it all: Chevy for cars made on the American continent, Opel for the cars from Europe, Daewoo (or something else) for the ones from Asia, Holden for the cars from Australia and Saturn for the top of the range stuff no matter where it is from, inc the Corvette....

However everybody will get upset about history and the like....which I can completly understand being a Alfa Romeo owner! :) Still maybe they have simply lost the plot?

It cost GM billions to kill Oldsmobile. They wont kill brands as it would cripple the company due to the cost of it all!