Another "find me a laptop" thread

Last edited:
Those Asus's (Asi i guess) are pretty competent.
However, Dell, with their constant rebates has the edge (on paper atleast).
comparing:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220092
with an Inspiron 1505 i specced out.

The way i specced the 1505 was to get as close to the price as the Asus as possible, and both are $1198.99.

Processor: both have Intel? Core? 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)

Screen: Both are 15.4 inches, Asus has widescreen and Dell does not

Memory: 1GB DDR2 for the Asus, 2GB DDR2 for the Dell

HDD: 80gb for the Asus and 120gb for the Dell, both are 5400rpm

Disc Drive: both have DVD player- burner/CD burner combo

Video Card: 128mb NVIDIA Gefore Go 7300 for the Asus, and 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory for the Dell

Others: Asus has a 1.3mp webcam and a 4-in-one card reader

Weight: about the same, 6.5lb for the Asus and 6lb for the Dell (these are general weight measurements and would probably change based on spec)

Selling points for me: Dell has 40gb more hard drive space, another 1gig of RAM, and a better graphics card (according to reviews).
And, i could cut back on the processor to a lower Core Duo T2050 1.60GHz with 533MHz FSB and save $130.

The Asus has that card-reader, webcam and a widescreen. But I dont really have a use for the first two and i dont mind not having widescreen.

Now the question is, are all you that recommended an Asus going to stick with it? Because, on paper, atleast i would go for the Dell no doubt

Last edited:
well... I have read some very good reviews on Asus, I know our former member Jasonchiu owns one and still does after 2 years I believe, its really reliable from their years of experience. And although Dell does have better specs, you do know Dells parts are usually quite cheap, Asus on the other hand uses better parts.
I have personally never owned a Dell laptop or used one, its not that popular in Asia (For laptops), my advice is to stick to Asus if you're going to use it for a few years. And you also know your model will not be superseeded in 2 weeks :lol:

I've owned a Dell desktop for the past 4 years or so and i know someone with a Dell laptop that he's had for the past 3 or 4 years. So far the only problem i had was with a Maxtor HDD, not Dell's fault but they replaced it anyway.
And so far my friend hasnt had any trouble with his laptop, and he uses it continously nonstop for several hours on end each day.

I do plan on keeping my computer for a while, but im not too concerned with model being replaced (i still own a 3rd generation ipod from 3 years ago) :p

I regularly use a Dell at work, a lattitude something or other.

Bought in '97, it runs Windows '95 on a P166 (MMX!), HD is 1.4Gb, 46Mb of RAM.

The thing is hard as nails, we take it into the cleanroom to program PLCs and it's the only lappy that has survived, it has seen off 2 Toshiba satellites (shitty screens) and 2 IBM think pads.

I'm not too sure about current models but the old ones are great...

In holland Asus also give 2 years warranty standard, while toshiba, dell any other of the big names only give 1 year (hp sell a extra year for loads of $$$). I sell all the big brands at where i work, and Asus always have a nice laptop in every range.
Only big prob I've come accross with some Asus laptops is that the pre-install windows they put on sometimes doesn't install all the drivers. Sometimes they just leave out the wireless network card and the sound card.
And that some models are ugly compared (design wise) to the other brands :)

For a bit more than (or around) 1000 dollars you should be able to get a mid range core 2 duo cpu, widescreen 15.4 inch screen, 1 gig of ram and 100gb+ hardrive, nvidia 7300 or better/compareable gfx card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220092

I think you should be able to get the above model cheaper. For $100 less it would be a great laptop for the price.

Last edited:
The Asus has that card-reader, webcam and a widescreen. But I dont really have a use for the first two and i dont mind not having widescreen.

Now the question is, are all you that recommended an Asus going to stick with it? Because, on paper, atleast i would go for the Dell no doubt

I would get the Dell. And BTW, all the E1505's come with widescreen monitors and 4-in-1 card-readers ;)

^ oh do they? well then its a slight added bonus. I've been talking to a few people and they also recommend Asus, but as a toss-up between Dell and Asus they say as far as quality goes there is not really that much of a difference.
the Asus that Kip_6666 mentioned is tempting. On top of the specs, included warranty always sounds good :)

As of now im going to hold off until mid-december or so to see if i can snag some holiday deals.

Might as well post this here...I've been thinking of getting a MacBook. I'm just not sure what I want....I want something cheap, but good. The basic model starts at 1,099...and then there is one at 1,299 (major difference is the memory and DVD burner)....and there is one for 200 bucks more (and that's in black).

Then there is the pro line, which has larger screens and an ATI x1600 graphics card.

I'm really confused, do I want to play games on it? Or just use it for surfing the web etc? Part of me thinks going for the cheaper one is better, but I just don't want to regret it later when a cool game comes out......

I guess I'm not asking anything, just ranting....:cry:

I've had good experiences with Dell, but always remember that gaming is never as good on a laptop. Avoid integrated graphics like the plague, whatever the kind. Don't forget, most notebooks are coming with DVD-RW, so hard drive space isn't as much of a problem anymore; and you can buy huge externals pretty cheap. Given the chance to get a new laptop, I'd go with a 7200 drive, since I usually have it plugged in. Where will you go that doesn't have a power socket? Keep an eye on the Dell specials, the ones that are pre-configured - you will save a ton of money. After Christmas will be a great time to buy.

Check this out, 20% off preconfiged models:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/promo.aspx/inspn/q4wk6_inspn_gift?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Two of my friends just bought MacBook Pro's and they would bet their lives on em.

I was thinking of taking our 160gig external HD, but i'm pretty sure that 80gig will be enough for a while.
I've been staying on top of the specials, the problem is should i wait until better ones arrive? Its the worst thing about buying electronics. You pounce on an oppurtunity to buy something for much less than you were expecting...then next week there is a x% off special and you feel like you got screwed.
There are school (College/University) discounts but i'm not completely sure how those work.

Also i need to figure out my wireless or just normal cable modem options...

Also i need to figure out my wireless or just normal cable modem options...

Most laptops come with built in wireless, as well as the standard LAN port, so you should be covered ;)

Most laptops come with built in wireless, as well as the standard LAN port, so you should be covered ;)
Its not that, i'm just going to need to buy another cable modem. I'm unsure of which to go for since most cost around $60-$80. That'll be my next topic of research :p

Last edited: