2008 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

Big engine+low power+simple design= a cheap engine to produce that will last for sometime and have a bit of torque down low.
That's the idea. The reliability of the Buick V6 is unassailable. However, it would be nice for an American engine to be just as reliable with more advanced technology, and for cost to not be such a determining factor. Of all the things to spend your development dollars on, the engine would be one to pick.

That's the idea. The reliability of the Buick V6 is unassailable. However, it would be nice for an American engine to be just as reliable with more advanced technology, and for cost to not be such a determining factor. Of all the things to spend your development dollars on, the engine would be one to pick.

Well, the 3.6 V6 will be replacing many of the OHV engines, the 3.5-3.9 will still be around though.. A modern engine with advanced technology. Rumor is that the new CTS will use a direct injection version of the engine.

Well, the 3.6 V6 will be replacing many of the OHV engines, the 3.5-3.9 will still be around though.. A modern engine with advanced technology. Rumor is that the new CTS will use a direct injection version of the engine.
That direct injection version supposedly gets about 300 hp. That's the engine that the CTS deserves. Hopefully, it'll get the interior it deserves, as well.

The thing is, the 3.6 DOHC is apparently much more expensive to make than the 3.5 and 3.9 OHVs, so it'll be restricted to top-level trims. It'll go into the Lucerne when GM finally runs out of 3.8s. I just hope that GM keeps using it across the board.

Back on topic: I've gotten to like the new catfish face on the Sebring, and it still has the long-and-low stance that the old one had, but the hardtop roof would ruin it for me. That back pillar is WAY too thick. They must have been looking at a mid-90s New Yorker when they designed it. It ruins all the proportion that the car has. And the flat-top roof looks the same as a 10-year-old Sebring coupe. Thank goodness it's an option.

If that's the case you can't really blame Chrysler - their main task is to sell a big amount of products and not to burn teirselves in every petrolhead's heart. Shame on the taste of the average masses instead :mad:

It does look like a French car now. Shame.

It justs needs the build quality to match :cool:

UGLY UGLY UGLY. When I see one of these on the roads over here (I hope I don't) i'll kick it's ugly face it. Maybe I could fix the proportions?

On another note, when the roof goes back up, surely that little liner that covers the gap could move back into it's spot while the roof goes into place, not after the roof is up? Or would that be too hard?

If that's the case you can't really blame Chrysler - their main task is to sell a big amount of products and not to burn teirselves in every petrolhead's heart. Shame on the taste of the average masses instead :mad:
Was that directed at the Caliber? The Sebring hasn't been on sale long enough to tell how well it's doing. I should have said that earlier.

They still should have made a Caliber sedan, though.

Last edited:
Well, Dodge is selling more vehicles than it ever has in Europe because of the Caliber.

Surprised to hear that because officially Dodge hasn't been selling anything over here until the introduction of the Caliber. (The Neon and Voyager were sold as Chrysler and the handful of RAM's and other Dodges driving around here area all grey imports)

I was more speaking in terms of how the American customer likes the Caliber and the Sebring. ;)

Well, Dodge is selling more vehicles than it ever has in Europe because of the Caliber.

Well, it's the second Dodge sold through all EU; only the Benelux (and maybe UK) already have Dodge cars. The first Dodge was the Viper, so beating it with a Caliber offering a diesel engine isn't a record.

when i was watching that video the first thing i thought is that there will be tons in Florida with old men and their golf clubs. I thought this because all i saw was trunk.

Old men wear glasses, which means their sight is poor. the result, the car will sell for that reason.

the smooth body lines of the old one actually made it fit in better.... this one just looks like a thrown out crossfire design that went bad, then they thought, hey, let's make the proportions bigger and call it the next sebering.

I think so. I don't think that the value-for-money part of the equation is enough to make up for the other shortcomings and general averageness.

3.5L and 235 horsepower? That must be some kind of record... worst power to litreage ratio?

nah... how about the pontiac torrent... 3.4L, 185hp..... earthshattering power :blink:

3.5L and 235 horsepower? That must be some kind of record... worst power to litreage ratio?

"literage"? I don't believe that's a word. *checks webster.com* Nope...sounds like it should be, though...like "firmth" (the level of firmness) or "pocketry" (refering to a garments pockets). I think the word would be "displacement"...right? Is that the same word used outside of the US?

The only thing Chrysler have done rigth is the crossfire, but that is a Merc SLK in disguise... And the Merc is better looking. Exept it's a very girlie car.

Don't forget...the current Crossfire is based on the FORMER SLK platform...so it was released, already outdated. It was based on a bad SLK.

Now that you mention sales - how are these cars (Sebring, Caliber) selling in the US? Is it a desaster like the Pacific or approx. reaching the targets Chrysler pronounced once?

The old Sebring's been the #1 selling convertible in the US...although, as mentioned, it's a "fleet car" which means that it's purchased by rental car agencies...like the Ford Crown Victoria is mostly purchased by police departments and taxi companies.

This is the first time a hard-top conv. has been available. You will still be able to get it with a soft top. The CC is an option. Not...that....not that that would be any better, I'm just sayin'...

It's success has always been on the fact that it's a remotely luxurious, and affordable convirtible. Now it's gone up-market a bit, and the hard-top convertible isn't cheap...will it still have appeal as a more expensive, but still just as crappy car?

It justs needs the build quality to match :cool:

I drive the sister-car to the previous generation, a 2002 Dodge Stratus. It's the worst car I've ever had, bar none. Realiability, performance, feel, build quality, materials, efficiency, etc. The ONLY thing I like about it, is the front-end view...I don't hate it. Everything behind the front fender and the grill? Hopeless.

On another note, when the roof goes back up, surely that little liner that covers the gap could move back into it's spot while the roof goes into place, not after the roof is up? Or would that be too hard?

I think it's the same motors that are used for every part, just different gears are engaged to move the different parts...the deck-lid has to wait for the roof gears to move out of the way to engage the deck-lid motion gears...i believe...don't quote me on that, but a LOT of the CC cars operate that way. Yes, even the EOS (which...in white, the back end looks like a marshmallow). Each movement is done as a "step" rather than a fluid motion. Maybe doing it this way also makes it more long-lasting, since you don't have to worry about the roof loosing a cm of tolerance or a bit of speed over time and crashing into another part.

~nj?

Last edited:
I saw a saloon on the road the other day. I still think the old convertible looked better. Isnt the new 3.6L V6 used in the Aura?

by looking at the way this roof opens and closes, i don't think it would be pussible to put the roof down if you park your car in a parking garage.... pretty sure it would scrape the roof across the ceiling.