Euro Fords going to America...Maybe.

heard on the news they rolled off the last taurus a few weeks ago, so at least something is moving there. where are UK spec cars made? IIRC, US spec focuses [foci] are made in mexico thus low prices, so the question is if they are ready to move new models in yet, i mean they did make the VW beetle for some 500 years after the germans stopped :D

Also I think the general American is quite the patriot and will stay faithful to American products as long as he or she can.
Aren't most "American" cars built in Mexico? :p

Still, build the damned Mondeo in America. Just get a bunch of Japanese guys to hold the factory's hand. :)

It's a better car, and it might help improve quality and build quality.

Still, build the damned Mondeo in America. Just get a bunch of Japanese guys to hold the factory's hand. :)

Mexico is still technically American, because it's in North America. :p

you may have the falcon while you're at it :p

We may even let you have some FPV

oh please oh please oh please... i would LOVE any of the FPV cars especially the F6 Typhoon

I'd love a Mondeo. Even a diesel, with the Ghia pack. Get that combo, and it's great, and looks great.

A lot of american cars are also built in Canada.

A US patriot should buy a ML, a Z4 or an X5, at least those are assembled in their country. :D

An American patriot should vote in elections, love his country, be able to think for him/herself and should buy the car they want. :p

Norwegians are probably just as patriotic as you yanks, if you've ever seen the celebration of May 17th, our day of constitution, you'll know what I mean, and we don't drive around in (Ford) Th!nks and Trolls. :p (FYI, the Troll was a after-war-attempt at making a glass fibre sports car and the Th!nk was developed in Norway :p)

No doubt, Mondeos are great cars. But it makes me wonder why the Contour failed then?

Because the Contour was based on the old Mondeo which was rubbish, really...
The interior build quality was just ridiculous...I've seen several examples and in all of them the center console was coming off etc and it was just way too ugly...

How big is the modern Mondeo? The big complaint about the Contour was its size relative to its price, and if the Mondeo remains smaller than the Fusion.. heck, where will it slot into the lineup anyway, with the Fusion already there?

Actually, based on pictures, I'd say that the current US Ford Fusion is already based on the current Euro Ford Mondeo Sedan...?
Pic 1
Pic 2

If so or not, I'd guess that they will either replace the Fusion with the Mondeo or just rebadge the Mondeo to Fusion since the cars are too similar to have them in the lineup parallel...

Yeah - with the modern car market and parts sharing and whatnot - I can't see why we don't get the awesome Aussie and Euro Fords. I know a guy who just bought a Corolla and was pissed he couldn't get a Focus ST. Ford would be better off selling those cars imported - even at a higher price point. I mean the Five-hundred? Is it physically impossible to use that plant for the Mondeo? Falcon? Seriously - someone in marketing has made a MAJOR oversight - Falcons especially would sell.

As for patriotism - My Subaru was made in Indiana

At least we now get the Vectra (Saturn Aura).................yey.

AFAIK the current falcon can't easily be converted to LHD (Ford showed no interest during development so Ford Australia didn't bother with the additional costs or engineering work)

I assume this isn't the Fusion you are all talking about? It's just a slightly higher Fiesta.
ford-fusion-geneve-MEDEL.jpg

Well I would have to say if they brought any British cars there would have to be one name tag attached to them for big sale #'s. Cosworth. Hook that up to at least a 5-speed and it would sell like hotcakes.

^ I'd imagine a good % of Americans would look at the Cosworth tag and think, "huh?"

^ I'd imagine a good % of Americans would look at the Cosworth tag and think, "huh?"

people who aren't interested in performance cars, sure, but the few Cosworth powered cars we did get are actually pretty coveted, and I don't think a Cosworth would be marketed to joe schmo who just needs "a car".