Camaro Prototypes hit roads in weeks.

NAIDANAC A

Car(s)
300E
First Camaro prototypes to hit the road in weeks
camaro-red.jpg

The 2009 Chevrolet Camaro is perhaps one of the most hyped concept-turned-production cars in recent memory. But following GM's announcement in August that it would produce the new Camaro, the automotive news world went somewhat silent on the subject.

Toward the end of the month, that could change. According to a report by Australia's Drive magazine, engineers have begun building prototype Camaros, which will hit the road before Christmas. The news comes from Holden boss Denny Mooney. Holden, GM's Australian subsidiary, is in charge of developing the Zeta rear-wheel-drive platform, as well as the Camaro itself.

As previously reported, GM is also likely to import the new Holden Commodore as the next Pontiac Grand Prix. As always, stay tuned for spy photos here on LLN as soon as prototypes of both vehicles arrive on public roads.

Source

HUGE NEWS to me.

I'll keep my eyes open, I saw stacks of VE mules going out an testing.

Ugh! why can they be in the US! i want to see one so badly :blowup: i hope they dont mess with the zera platform that much so its not so dissimilar from the GTO. except with a slightly stiffer suspension

Thats a step in the right direction. I hope to see less rebadged Chevys and Daewoos soon. I just hope the Camaro handles as well as it looks.

chances are, if GM's past practices are to be invloved, they'll cheapen the hell out of it (interiors, option packages, paint thickness, etc), so that ifn you want one that'll be worth anything in a year or two, you'll pay through the nose for it.

camaro-red.jpg

I doubt production models will get the chin, pillar-less doors, wheels, mirrors, door handles, or even that "powerrrr bulge". I wonder if they're gonna cheapen it further and offer a V6...

I believe they said there was going the be a V6 version. But I do believe the styling will be similar...minus the wheels.

Yes, the camaro will get a V-6, but it sounds like the Challenger won't. Apparently, buth companies are having problems making their cars, in their minds, cheap enough to really take sales away from the Mustang. The Mustang is very cheap to build, but these two cars aren't, either because of their platform, or their engines.

Why Mustang is making life tough for Chevy and Dodge
Motor Trend, January 2007
The Mustang is cheap to build. And that's causing major headaches for planners at Chevrolet and Dodge as they work on their own, more sophisticated, musclecars.

Whispers out of Auburn Hills hint DC couldn't figure out how to price a V6 challenger within $5,000 of a mustang, and now won't even bother offering an entry-level model. The problem is the platform., which will underpin the next-gen Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, features a more expensive IRS setup.

Dodge Marketers figure the Challenger will appeal most to baby boomers who have the money to splash on a well-speced V8 anyways. But this also limits the car's potential sales and makes the already wafer-thin profit margins even thinner.

Chevy faces a similar cost problem with the IRS Zeta platform on the new Camaro. The Zeta architecture will be more widely used, helping costs, but insiders amit GM will struggle to getr a base V6 Camaro near $20,000, mainly because the logical engine for the car-the DOHC, 3.6L high-feature V6-ain't cheap, nor is the new six-speed automatic it needs.

edit: Oh, yeah...they've already sais the mirrors won't make it to production...not legal.

camaro-red.jpg

I doubt production models will get the chin, pillar-less doors, wheels, mirrors, door handles, or even that "powerrrr bulge". I wonder if they're gonna cheapen it further and offer a V6...

Well I don't know about safety regulations in the US but I suspect that the front of that car would seriously fail safety regulations, so the changes are kinda needed

Yeah...if they're coming with a new platform and IRS, anyone considering a musclecar will go for the Challenger or Camaro. Yeah, the Mustang is cheap, but I'd be willing to bet a V6-spec Camaro, with that new platform and independent suspension would walk a Mustang GT.

I'd rather spend the money and buy the superior car. So in this case, not the Mustang.

Yeah, but for the general public who dont know the difference between IRS and a live rear axle, nor will ever push the car to a point where such a difference can be felt, $5,000 is a lot of money.

Let's not forget that the Mustang has a much more heralded place in American folklore. It is *the* pony car, the first, the longest lasting and the only one that survived the oil crises, even if in pussified form.

Those two factors make it unbeatable. The Camaro and the Challenger will be niche cars at the most.

The Mustang has always been the style and attitude icon, while the Camaro has been the performance benchmark.

Ford needs to ditch the hopeless 4.6L and bring back the 5.0 or 5.8.

I've always loved the Camaro. I'm glad GM is fixing their mistake by bringing it back. I just hope it looks as good at the prototype. I've already got one...in Hot Wheels form!:D

Is there any word that Pontiac is bringing back the Firebird/Trans Am? I can't imagine that they wouldn't.

Yeah, but for the general public who dont know the difference between IRS and a live rear axle, nor will ever push the car to a point where such a difference can be felt, $5,000 is a lot of money.

Just drive over a bump. I am pretty sure most car owners push their cars that far.

Or a corner. It can be scary the first time you drive a car with a live rear axle around a corner at speed.

I've always loved the Camaro. I'm glad GM is fixing their mistake by bringing it back. I just hope it looks as good at the prototype. I've already got one...in Hot Wheels form!:D

Is there any word that Pontiac is bringing back the Firebird/Trans Am? I can't imagine that they wouldn't.

Can I see it? And where did you get it.... ME WANTS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!