BitTorrent buys uTorrent

TechZ

Captain Internet
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
Audi TT '08 (Sold) S8 '02 (Sold)
BitTorrent, the company behind the file sharing protocol of the same name, has used some of the $25 million it recently received from investors to purchase the popular uTorrent application. uTorrent is one of the top BitTorrent download programs for Windows.

Although BitTorrent has long offered its own application for the protocol, others such as Azureus and uTorrent have been the primary innovators in the space, building up large user communities in the process. uTorrent will ostensibly be merged with the official BitTorrent client.

LINK

-They sold out.

:cry:

Read that yesterday and was shocked... Well, we'll have to wait and see whats up with that... In doubt you can always stay with 1.6 ;-)As long as ratio sites don't ban it :-(

Meh, at least the guy who created it probably made a nice buck. The way it's allowed to go once in a while.

I am wondering how this'll end, and what will happen to the application, only time will tell.

BitTorrent has nothing to offer uTorrent. It's all downhill from here.

I know most if not all of us would do the same in a similar situation but it doesn't stop us from feeling like we've had part of us robbed...

remember to untick the autoupdate button people

Well, if you go to utorrent.com, you will find that it is still available... And just because it has been bought and will most probably be in a restyled way the next official client, there is nothing bad about using he current version...

I think I might switch back to Azureus.. at least the web ui on it works.

The Blue Frog rules!! :thumbup: Hopefully BitTorrent leave it alone.

Azureus is decent, but it's just too bloated due to Java.

Azureus is decent, but it's just too bloated due to Java.

Yeah, I really prefer uTorrnet over Azureus.

So what are they planning to do, load it with ads or something?

The creater of bit-torrent that bought utorrent has recently been conducting buisness with the MPAA, potentially a privacy issue....

Well as said, we can always stick with the beta which has WebGUI and everything. :)

Of course it's stable. :p

It's just basically 1.6 with some stuff to allow the WebGUI to work. I have it running under Wine on my seeding box and it's been running fine for months. :)

I use 1.6 at home though as I don't need WebGUI and didn't want to have to stay on top of any beta updates.

Damn, and I just barely switched over to uTorrent from Azureus. The new Azureus looks even worse - I guess I'll keep v1.6 forever.

Yeah, Azureus sucks. It's slow and bloated, and it's UI isn't great. Too bad this will inevitably happen to uTorrent with BitTorrent having sold their souls to the **AA.