Child arrested for opening Christmas present early

Micra

Not A Dude
http://www.nbc30.com/holidays/10467838/detail.html

What is the penalty for opening your Christmas presents too early?

For one South Carolina 12-year-old, the penalty was arrest.

A Rock Hill, S.C., woman called police and asked them to arrest her son who opened a Christmas present early after being told not to, the Rock Hill Herald reported. Police went to the house and arrested the boy and charged him with petty larceny.

The paper reported that the boy's great-grandmother had specifically told him not to open his present, which contained a Nintendo Game Boy Advance. It was wrapped and lying under the Christmas tree, the police report stated.

But on Sunday morning, the gift was unwrapped and the box was empty. So when the boy's mother found out, she alerted police, the paper reported.

"He took it without permission. He wanted it. He just took it," the 63-year-old great-grandmother told the Herald.

The women said that the boy lied to them at first, saying he was unaware of where the video game system was. After threat of calling the police, the boy apparently gave the toy back to his mother, the paper reported. But the upset mother called police anyway.

Two officers responded and charged the child as a juvenile with petty larceny, although he was not jailed.

The mother told the Herald that she didn't know what else to do with her son, so she called police. The paper reported she is a single mother and has been struggling with constant behavior problems from the boy. She said her son still showed no remorse when the police came.

"I'm trying to get him some kind of help," the 27-year-old mother told the paper. "He's the type of kid who doesn't believe anything until it happens."

She said he has shoplifted, stolen money from her, punched a police officer and is nearing expulsion from school. She told the paper that she hopes this arrest will be a wake-up call for her son, because she worries about getting a call someday telling her he's been killed.

The mother plans to have her son placed with the state Department of Juvenile Justice in Columbia at his court appearance, the Herald reported.

I'm losing all faith in humanity.

What the f#ck are these people thinking?

Those mother / school aide are definitely not afraid of being ridiculous. Damn irresponsible parents.

I'm actually going to side with the mother on this one. It sounds like he's a real problem child and she had to draw the line somewhere. I'm glad she took some action instead of ignoring the problem and letting the kid ruin his life. Besides, would you rather her have hit the kid?

After reading all the other things this kid has done, her calling the police doesn't sound that bad. Interesting thing is that she had the kid when she was only 15. Anyways she just needs to slap the shit out of him.

I'm with the mother on this one, the kid seems to be a fuckup who needed a wakeup call.

Seems to be a common occurrence these days, parents arresting their kids to teach them a lesson. Like the kid that died in the back of a police van after "borrowing" the parent's car.

Those mother / school aide are definitely not afraid of being ridiculous. Damn irresponsible parents.

Actually, this mom has my support. I used to work with troubled teens and it was usually a result of permissive parenting. The mother used the police (who agreed to do this) to try to show the boy the consequences of his actions. I have more of a problem with parents who let their kids run wild with no structure or discipline, at least this parent is trying which is more than I can say for many I encounter. I support her decision to have him kept in the Juvenile Detention Facility, maybe that will snap him out of it. I also think they both need to get into some kind of therapy and probably send the kid to a boot camp.

As for the 4 year old charged with sexual misconduct, that's taking it too far.

I'm actually going to side with the mother on this one. It sounds like he's a real problem child and she had to draw the line somewhere. I'm glad she took some action instead of ignoring the problem and letting the kid ruin his life. Besides, would you rather her have hit the kid?

Hell, that's what my dad would've done. Proove there's a reason why the palm of your hand is shaped like the kid's ass.

Though from what it seems (her age and all...she was 15 when she had the kid?!?) she probably had a hard time raising him. Her own irresponsibility and inability to care for a child carried over into trying to raise him. Seems she may have finally learnt her lesson, for her and the kid's sake, I hope it's not too late.

Ok, I'm a Psychologist and I live in hippy dippy California where everything that should be taboo isn't and nothing that is taboo should be.

I have no problem spanking a kid for the right reasons, but you can't do it in anger, otherwise it's the parent's crap that is being expressed, not a means of discipline. Now every one of my professors and mentors will disagree with me on this one, but I don't care. I was spanked as a child and I have a great relationship with my parents, I'm not particularly fucked up (well, no more than is to be expected) and I'm fairly successful, reasonably intelligent and not prone to violent outbursts of rage or hostility. In fact I am probably one of the people least likely to get into a physical altercation.

Spanking works. Use it, but use it in the right way and for the right reasons.

I'm mostly in agreement with IO. I don't, however, agree with her calling the police...the specific situation just didn't warrant it. But, he sounds like a difficult kid, maybe she snapped.

Besides, would you rather her have hit the kid?
Well, yeah. It's called "spanking". Ooh! Scary! No, it's not child abuse (children are not "mini adults" that can be reasoned with) and it doesn't make kids violent psychopaths. I was spanked, and I'm far from violent.

Well, yeah. It's called "spanking". Ooh! Scary! No, it's not child abuse (children are not "mini adults" that can be reasoned with) and it doesn't make kids violent psychopaths. I was spanked, and I'm far from violent.

That's true. It reminds me of a stand-up bit by Dylan Moran

Dylan Moran said:
"What are they really, children? Midget drunks, that's what they are. People who greet you in the morning by kneeing you in the face. Talking gibberish! They can't even walk straight. You could put them on an infinite radial plain, they will find the one pedal there and devote their whole day to banging their eye off it. So you have to drive them to an emergency room when you were doing something important like sitting down. They want drunk people's food, 'What are you eating for tea?', 'Tiramisu, fried in sugar!'. They talk like drunks, 'Time for bed now', 'N-no. no no!'.
'Get into the bath'
'No!'
'Get out of the bath'
'No!'
'Do something that's not mindless violence for five seconds, will you?'
'...No!'"

What the fuck is wrong with the world today?

Anyway looking at that article it seems the mother gave birth to her son at 15, so no wonder shes so pissed with him, still its just a GBA, would of got the chair if it was a PSP or a Wii.

The kid needs to taste some belt buckle. The question is whether it's too late or not. Strict parenting needs to start at a young age. Kids need to know what is right and what is wrong, and they should know that both have consequences whether they be negative or positive.