LS7 Dyno Results + Aftermarket Cams

Lets try not to start another American Vs The World thread.
It's close to happening. But what can you expect for a thread that could be basically titled "Look how good our american engine is".

Yeah, I agree that LS7 is good engine and ZO6 is hell of a good car atleast for its price. But still I would rather have a Ferrari if I had the cash for it :)

mancs, u do realize this engine is put into the C6 Z06 and actually handles better than most Euro and Jap cars for half the price? so if this engine weighs a ton then the Z06 must have understeer from hell since its so nose-heavy.

Yeah Z06 is a good car (and its amercian, wow :) ). I say its still ridiculous that 7 liter and it only puts out 519 hp (stock). I just dont get the point of this engine.

"Handles better than most Euro and Jap cars for half the price"
Ah wait, yes it does handle well (acording to Tiff, Best motorings drivers,etc), but the Honda NSX still beated it on the track IF I remember well, but I may be wrong, cos I saw that episode a long time ago :( (BM). If not than sorry, my bad :) . The NSX is more expensive though...

Peace.

It's close to happening. But what can you expect for a thread that could be basically titled "Look how good our american engine is".

Yeah, I agree that LS7 is good engine and ZO6 is hell of a good car atleast for its price. But still I would rather have a Ferrari if I had the cash for it :)

Well put!

...What was Clarkson's only complaint, that he thought it was too much of a track car for the street? That only makes me want it more; comfort is at the bottom of my priorities list.

I think what JC was referring to was the fact that the suspension is too stiff for the bumpy roads and not that it's uncomfortable. On a nice smooth track the car sets impressive stats and times. But on say UK roads the car doesn't keep the wheels in touch with the tarmac as well as other supercars. The roads have pot holes, bumps, drains, cats eyes(middle of the road markers), etc.. and as we know if the tyres aren't touching the road it's slower.

Nice power output from the engine tho!!

Yeah Z06 is a good car (and its amercian, wow :) ). I say its still ridiculous that 7 liter and it only puts out 519 hp (stock). I just dont get the point of this engine.
That 7 liters gives it a very broad power band, excellent torque and throttle response. And also, like VJs posts show, the potential for massive power gains with minimal modifications. This will allow GM to use this engine for years and still be able to keep up in the 'horsepower wars'. It's also obviously based on the LS2 engine, making it cheaper
to produce. I don't know how you can't see the point of it.

"Handles better than most Euro and Jap cars for half the price"
Ah wait, yes it does handle well (acording to Tiff, Best motorings drivers,etc), but the Honda NSX still beated it on the track IF I remember well, but I may be wrong, cos I saw that episode a long time ago :( (BM). If not than sorry, my bad :) . The NSX is more expensive though...

Peace.

Best Motoring is staged. sorry to break it to ya, but its staged.

And also, like VJs posts show, the potential for massive power gains with minimal modifications. This will allow GM to use this engine for years and still be able to keep up in the 'horsepower wars'.
That potential just tells me that GM saved up on parts and decided to take less power instead of using the full potential. That is pretty much the essential difference between american and euro/jap engineering. If it were a euro/jap engine it would have all those aftermarket parts as stock, it would make 800hp+ and it would cost twice as much :)

it would make 800hp+ and it would cost twice as much :)
Great point, thats the way I always thought of it. They could have made this LS7 a complete monster (instead of the "average" beast it is :mrgreen:), but they decided to be practical about it. Like with thier smaller truck V8s, they just up the power a little every year. A few years ago thier 5.3L V8 was thier 295hp engine, now it makes 325hp, and they've introduced a 295hp 4.8L V8 to take it's place. I'm just curious geeman, which of those strategies you prefer?

I think what JC was referring to was the fact that the suspension is too stiff for the bumpy roads and not that it's uncomfortable. On a nice smooth track the car sets impressive stats and times. But on say UK roads the car doesn't keep the wheels in touch with the tarmac as well as other supercars. The roads have pot holes, bumps, drains, cats eyes(middle of the road markers), etc.. and as we know if the tyres aren't touching the road it's slower.

Nice power output from the engine tho!!

TBH, I find that JC's complaints (road noise, etc.) are more culprits of the runflat tires than the suspension. The runflats are really, really annoying. Fortunately, they're also easily replaced.

I'm not a big Chevy fan, never have been - but the LS7 is a spectacular engine, and the Z06 a spectacular car.

That 7 liters gives it a very broad power band, excellent torque and throttle response. And also, like VJs posts show, the potential for massive power gains with minimal modifications. This will allow GM to use this engine for years and still be able to keep up in the 'horsepower wars'. It's also obviously based on the LS2 engine, making it cheaper
to produce. I don't know how you can't see the point of it.

Ok, I see the point of it. Still, I dont like it. I dont agree with throttle respose though. As I can see on the pic posted on the first page, there are no Individual Throttle Bodies. Dunno, maybe there is, but I cant see it on the pic. M3 has got Individual Throttle Bodies, thats why it has ultimate throttle response.

Best Motoring is staged. sorry to break it to ya, but its staged.

Well, I tought the same thing for a long time, untill the M3 busted almost all of the japanese cars... Golf MK V as well, and the Z06 was quite impressive for them. So I dont think it is staged.

TBH, I find that JC's complaints (road noise, etc.) are more culprits of the runflat tires than the suspension. The runflats are really, really annoying. Fortunately, they're also easily replaced.

I'm not a big Chevy fan, never have been - but the LS7 is a spectacular engine, and the Z06 a spectacular car.

Run flats are standard, but you can get high performance tires for no cost. They swap them for you.

O and I feel special to know the man who designed the machines to make those engines...:lol: currently resides in Australia.

Best Motoring is definitely staged. Check out thier Nurburging videos, they edit out bits of the run to make it look like the car is faster. I don't know if individual throttle bodies would make an appreciable difference on the LS7, but I know it would be one bad ass looking engine :mrgreen:.

Best Motoring is definitely staged. Check out thier Nurburging videos, they edit out bits of the run to make it look like the car is faster.

Um... Check out the time's on an official timeboard (was posted somewhere on FG). They are true times...

I don't know if individual throttle bodies would make an appreciable difference on the LS7, but I know it would be one bad ass looking engine :mrgreen:.

Now thats true:mrgreen: 8) (And yeah they would make difference)

the Z06 got beat by an STI on BM. tell me how thats possible if on other tracks, the Z06 is SECONDS ahead of the STI.

Great point, thats the way I always thought of it. They could have made this LS7 a complete monster (instead of the "average" beast it is :mrgreen:), but they decided to be practical about it.
If I would be buying the ultimate supercar it would have to be crazy. No compromises. A ultimate car shouldn't be held back by practicality. Only problem that rises from that is money.

Beauty of the Z06 on the other hand is that it just outperforms all other cars in the same price range. Which makes it the top choice if you are in the market for a car in that price range.
Like with thier smaller truck V8s, they just up the power a little every year. A few years ago thier 5.3L V8 was thier 295hp engine, now it makes 325hp, and they've introduced a 295hp 4.8L V8 to take it's place.
Isn't that just about every car manufacturer does? New models have to be somehow better than the old one, otherwise they wouldn't sell.

You mean the race? We had a chat about this in another thread.

A race never shows how good a car is. I mean, in a race the first car to win isnt certainly the best car. Why? In a race you need luck, knowledge, and expirience, a good car can spin out, or miss the start, the driver can make mistakes etc. Thats why the only thing that matters is a time attack (the Z06 was faster on the time attack), cos than the driver has time to learn the car, make more laps alone, etc.

I hope you got what I'm trying to say, even though its a bit messy :) .

Edit: "Yeah, the S204. The Z06 had better lap times and then somehow magically lost to the Subaru. I blame the driver." Thats my point. Time attack =/= race

Isn't that just about every car manufacturer does? New models have to be somehow better than the old one, otherwise they wouldn't sell.
Idk, it seems to me that alot of times manufacturers will go several years without doing much to thier powertrain. But I was just thinking of the basic cars, not the competitive market of sports cars and trucks (in the US anyway).

the Z06 got beat by an STI on BM. tell me how thats possible if on other tracks, the Z06 is SECONDS ahead of the STI.

Its prob due to the driver (it is the legendary drift king!)...and the ZO6 was blocking the skyline and murcielago for a while...

Not show any type of bias, ignore sig and avvie :p