Racing Games for PC

Sir Stiggington

Car(s)
McLaren Mercedes MP4/23 :P
I'm going to buy some racing games when I go back to Europe this Christmas, but I really cannot decide which one. The most annoying thing is that it has to be for PC. The kind of game I'm looking for is a good track racing game, which is realistic, but does urge you to play on, not like the pure simulators where you just choose a track and car, and race. I like unlocking stuff .
What do you guys think? Any ideas?

I like TOCA 3. I find the handling and performance to be quite good and it also has a lot more story/unlock type stuff than a pure simulator like LFS. The nice part about TOCA is that there is a full sim mode, or you can make it more arcadey depending on your tastes, The damage is also really good, the tracks are designed after real courses, and the cars are licensed. It even has some cool historical races.

http://www.codemasters.com/tocaracedriver3/index.php

I suggest giving the demo a go and see what you think ;)

Personally, I like it better than LFS

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=4gGZQPacmds[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=pu2mQI852mE[/youtube]

Last edited:
Yeah, ToCA 3 is quite good (as am I! :p).

I "acquired" it a few months back and had quite a lot of fun it in. :)

Last edited:
^^Thanks, guys, but I already have TOCA 3 :p
I was thinking GTR2, but is that pure sim, or more inbetween?

I'm guessing that GTR2 is more of a pure sim, although I've only played the first one.

Let's see, what other good realistic racing games are there that have unlock-type stuff? I'm scanning the far corners of my brain, but I can't think of any others at the moment :think:

Actually, GTR2 sounds like it has some cool features to keep your interest:

The first and most obvious way the GTR developers have done this is through the driving school, an expansive tutorial that has seemingly been designed to take you from the ground up--from your first moments in the car to competing tightly with the game's demanding artificially intelligent drivers (or with up to 27 other players via the game's excellent online multiplayer racing). Categories covered in driving school include the basics, such as acceleration and braking, up through cornering and overtaking, and finally, into section-by-section breakdowns of many of the tracks featured in the game. Each category includes a text breakdown that covers the theory behind each racing concept, as well as the specific goal you need to accomplish in order to pass that particular challenge. You can also practice the challenge before an "official" attempt against the ghost car or watch the ghost car's lap to view proper braking or turn-in points, which is essential for some of the trickier challenges. By beating challenges, you unlock a host of restricted-class championships that are graded in difficulty levels; some of the first championships you open are quite easy and serve as an excellent introduction to the kind of intense on-track action that forms the heart of the game. Those new to the series are well served by simply going through the basic tutorials in driving school, unlocking a few championships and competing in a few of these early series. In all, if you go so far as to compete in all 142 challenges found in GTR 2, you'll be well on your way to mastering the fundamentals of driving quickly and have a good idea of how the many tracks found in the game operate.

Once you're done with the tutorials and have built up a heap of early-game confidence, you'll find a number of game modes and options in GTR 2 just waiting to beat you down and bring you back to earth.

Beyond that, I'm not sure if the rest of the game has unlockable stuff, but sounds like it atleast has seasons and the challenges you unlock in the driving school:

GTR 2's three main racing modes are race weekend, championships, and 24-hour race. A race weekend is a single event, complete with multiple practice and qualifying rounds, as well as the actual race itself. Championship mode includes both the 2003 and 2004 official FIA GT seasons, as well as the custom championships you open up by completing challenges in the driving school. New for GTR 2 are the 24-hour races on tracks such as Spa-Franchorchamps, Monza, and China's Zuhai circuit. You can scale down these grueling endurance races to a more manageable size (say one or three hours) and still experience the same gradual day-to-night transition you would in a 24-hour race.

Last edited:
besides the unlocking bit, LFS is fun... it has other means that urge you to play on (such as trying to beat your time and getting single inch of the track perfectly.

GTR2 is bloody difficult if you don't drive with any of the aids on but is very rewarding and the sound effects in it are brilliant.

The 24-hour race looks cool.

Gran Turismo? I wish, Viper. If only they made it for PC...

Hey! Do all you guys on Toca 3 play online? Maybe we've played eachother before and not realized it! :D

Post your Toca 3 usernames....mine is eppb12.

I "acquired" it a few months back and had quite a lot of fun it in.
lol, same here; except my dad actually bought the DVD forgetting that we don't have a DVD-ROM ;)

"You see, to me Ferrari is a scaled-down version of God, and a Porsche is a pimped up Volkswagen Beetle"-Jeremy Clarkson
^ RealStig, just FYI, he says "jumped up Volkswagen Beetle" :)

Last edited:
Buy GTR2, it is better than TOCA 3. It focus more on GT racing. You got Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo.

RACE for extremely close, exciting and realistic WTCC racing.
LFS for great online racing, realism and variety.
TDU for free roam in great sportscars around hawaii.

I'm having trouble entering my email address when I create a new account for online racing in TOCA. I can't type @. Any ideas? I really want to race online.....
EDIT: Solved that, but no-one is online:(

Last edited:
in the STCC teired servers in Live for speed, you have to work your way up and gain licenses to unlock new cars. you start off with an xfg and work your way up to the turbo class cars.

I didn't like TOCA 2 and 3, the cars feel to have far too much grip and it's quite too easy.

At the other end of the scale, I have been put off by GTR, GT Legends and GTR2. They are great simulations, but maybe too much so it feels harder than in reality (since you cannot feel the Gs or have a real feel that your tires start to slip through the steering wheel, a 100% simulation game doesn't work for me).

I think the greatest compromise was done by GT4, but only available on PS2.

I should also give a try to LFS, but I'm a bit lazy to unpack my steering wheel.

^^Get a Force Feedback wheel, then you can feel under and oversteer.

I think the greatest compromise was done by GT4, but only available on PS2.

Totally agreed. I can spend hours playing GT4, even the 24h races which are done by me and 2 other friends. We take shifts, just as the real deal and it's fun. GTR and GTR2 are awesome simulators, but as was pointed, on their effort to be that perfect, they just can't be so it gets boring. I like the style of Need for Speed I and V (Porsche). Not simulators at all but not that arcadish. The new ones, tough, are terrible. I could tolerate Underground 1& 2, even Most Wanted. But Carbon is too much from the same crap. It'll be the first NFS I won't buy.
Ah! Of course, I have LFS. I play it a lot, sometimes in my home LAN with my brother and/or friends and I like the real feeling it delivers, without the need of state of the art graphics. I can't play it online with you guys yet... little trouble if you get my point, but that's gonna end soon, as my credit card arrives.