So whats the problem with German cars? (Jezza)

Ottobon

Car(s)
2 Rust buckets and a confused 1999 American.
Just wondering if anybody knows why Jezza seems to be a little tee'd off at German cars, especially when some of them seem to offer a lot, Porsches for example do have a lot of character, and i simply don't know why he says they "lack Passion", or really what thats supposed to mean

i will agree all German companies have way too much marketing influence, for example all their cars never change looks because of stupid marketing reasons, or the way they design their cars so its impossible to work on them, everything is either covered in plastic, or located in such a way it cant be accessed (Porsche) easily

I'm not personally a huge German car fan, but atleast Porsches seem to have a lot of really charismatic things about them, yet that seems to be his least favorite sports car company in the world! Comfortable, Fast, Confident, and Unique seems like a good start to me personally, although the fact James and Richard have owned 911s does seem to give a decent reason for J.C. to rack on about them :p

anybody have any driving experience to maybe clear this up for me?

Yeah I sometimes wonder if Jeremy's dislike of Porsches is for entertainment or if he genuinely dislikes them overall...actually...I've never thought of that, but, come to think of it now, he does go on and on about them with the whole "Cocks buy Porsches" and so on...

I say its mostly for entertainment. I would expect him to like them though, especially given that Porsche do such hardcore and focussed cars and then wrap them up with a comfortable cabin...like Mercedes (to a lesser extent).

JC dislikes porsches because the earlier 911s handled really awkwardly and required a lot of training to drive properly. You hear him reference the "wrong" placement of the engine a lot of times when he reviews them. A good example of this is the RUF Porsche he reviews in his tuner vid. But the newer gens of 911s he is starting to like, although he still sees some lack of passion, i think it is compared to the italians. The germans go at it with a meticulous precision that is second to none, while the italians do it in a whole different. more passionate about the end-result kind of way.

JC loves the 996 turbo. (watch his "Top 100 cars" video, it came second). I think he really hates the early models.

Oh yes that's clear! He loves the M5 as well. It's more a 911 thing really...

JC loves the 996 turbo. (watch his "Top 100 cars" video, it came second). I think he really hates the early models.
Look at the car at 98. :) Air Cooled 911.

Jezza likes: Golf GTi, "McMerc", the M3, actually all the M-cars.

Just to mention.

Think he loves the sort of random-ness of the Italian cars, "let's put this bolt here, no worry, it'll stick".

Bit like the British car industry, really, only British cars are made with more tweed and brown beer than Italdesign and wine.

Well I always just assumed it was because "Cocks buy Porsches"..as in most people who buy Porsches are stuck up assholes. The same goes for Corvettes IMO.

I know understand Clarkson's hate of the 911, though i disagree with him completely:

Like with any Ferrari, it's the clich? thing to buy if you want an expensive sports car.

Yeah.. A Porsche doesn't turn heads as much as they should. Especially since the whole 911 line basically looks the same, so from a poser point of view it doesn't really matter if you buy a basic 911 or a Turbo.. Most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference anyway.

If i had to spend that kind of money on a car, and i wanted a sportscar, then i would probably go for something a bit more exotic.. :)

List of bad German cars: errr thinks very hard indeed - thats it, none. Some are brilliant some are just very good, all are a little bit pricey in the UK.

You mean current German cars?

Ok then. Let's see...

-Mercedes-Benz Vaneo
-Opel Meriva
-BMW X3
-Volkswagen Sharan

Ok X3 is pretty bad but the other three aren't bad cars, they just serve a purpose, which they do better than most.

List of bad German cars: errr thinks very hard indeed - thats it, none. Some are brilliant some are just very good, all are a little bit pricey in the UK.
There are bad German cars, but very few horrid cars. Unlike the yanks, the French the Italians, the Korean and the Indians.

German cars are generally quite good, but that does not mean they never fail. They do it all the time, miserably too. But still, love German cars.

Sorry Ottobon, I can't help but laugh at this quote of yours. Cuz you know, porsche engines are hard to get at because porsche designed them to difficult to access, never mind the engine is in the back and still has to drive the rear wheels and fit a transmission somewhere in there.

And porsche engines aren't that hard to access, you just have to get under them. :D

i will agree all German companies have way too much marketing influence, for example all their cars never change looks because of stupid marketing reasons, or the way they design their cars so its impossible to work on them, everything is either covered in plastic, or located in such a way it cant be accessed (Porsche) easily

he owns an SLK55 AMG and he had an SL55 AMG in recent years, so he moved from owning an old BMW CSL to poser convertibles.

Yeah I sometimes wonder if Jeremy's dislike of Porsches is for entertainment or if he genuinely dislikes them overall...actually...I've never thought of that, but, come to think of it now, he does go on and on about them with the whole "Cocks buy Porsches" and so on...

I say its mostly for entertainment. I would expect him to like them though, especially given that Porsche do such hardcore and focussed cars and then wrap them up with a comfortable cabin...like Mercedes (to a lesser extent).

I agree, it's purely for entertainment purposes only. as meantioned, the other two own porsches, but the other two also own bikes and Clarkson hates bikes as well. Clarkson thinks the morgan is a silly car, but i have the feeling that James probably likes them. the show wouldn't be entertaining if all that happened was agreement, we wouldn't hear some of the statistics if they had the same points of view. and we'd never have a proper showdown when they compare 3 cars like the baby Astin, M6, and Carerra.

One of the other topics is talking about complaints towards top gear presenters and their comments or actions, for example calling a car gay. there's so many controvercial comments and activities in the shower that it's probably bringing the viewer count to an all time high. Keep it up boys!!!!!!!

Kowalski OK - X3, I forgot. But all the other cars mentioned - as has been stated do a job better than most. But yes I'll give you the X3. The the 'Ossy' (sp?) cars must be seen as an attribute of Communism rather than any reflection on German Engineering.