On America's Roads, maybe an SUV is Safer

Samir

Car(s)
2005 Honda Accord EX-L, 2002 Ford Mustang LX
http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzcras195021595dec19,0,290724.story?coll=ny-business-print

Minicars judged big safety risks
BY TOM INCANTALUPO
Newsday Staff Writer

December 19, 2006

Tiny cars that sip fuel might not be as good for your health as they are for the planet.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is releasing crash test results today for six minicars that find only one - the Nissan Versa - to be safe.

The institute, which represents insurance companies that must pay medical claims resulting from accidents, has always looked askance at small cars for their inherent disadvantages in crashes with larger ones. "Driver death rates in minicars are higher than in any other vehicle category," the institute said in a statement. "They're more than double the death rates in midsize and large cars."

The institute said the five other minicars it tested were either marginal or poor in one or two of three categories of safety, including the Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Scion xB, Hyundai Accent and Chevrolet Aveo. The group also re-issued test results for a seventh small car, BMW's Mini Cooper, which it said was "marginal" in rear impacts but noted is being replaced early next year with a redesigned model.

The institute said the Versa, which went on sale in July, did a good job in all three of the group's tests, which simulate a frontal impact into a barrier, a side-impact from a pickup truck or SUV and a rear impact by a vehicle of equal weight to the one being tested. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also gave the Versa a good rating.

The Mini did well in frontal and side tests but not in the rear impact Mini spokesman Andrew Cutler said, "Consumers need to be aware that this is for a car that is close to six years old ... "

The Fit and Yaris also did well in the front and side tests but the Fit was "poor" and the Yaris "marginal" in rear protection. Honda had no comment on the rear impact results.

A Yaris without its optional side air bags did poorly in the side test. Toyota says it will have side bags standard in all its vehicles by the 2009 model year.

The Accent performed acceptably in the frontal impact test but poorly in the side and rear impact evaluations. An eighth car, the similar Rio sold by Hyundai's Kia unit, was assumed to be as poor as the Accent in protecting occupants. There was no immediate comment from Hyundai.

The Aveo also was acceptable in the frontal test but marginal in side impacts, even with curtain air bags. It did poorly also in the rear impact evaluation. General Motors said in a statement, "The IIHS test results need to be considered with the Aveo's very good performance in other consumer information tests and the recognition that Aveo has been crash-tested internally many times under a multitude of test conditions."

Toyota had a similar comment in its response. "The IIHS side impact test is a very severe test," Toyota said in a statement, "much more severe than the test used by [the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.]

The Scion xB was deemed good in frontal protection, poor in side protection and marginal in rear impact protection. Side curtain air bags aren't available for it. The xB is being redesigned for the '08 model year.

Small and vulnerable

How minicars hold up in crash tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

G Good

M Marginal

A Acceptable

P Poor

Front Side Rear

Nissan Versa G G G

Toyota Yaris G G * M

Honda Fit G G P

Mini Cooper G A M

Chevrolet Aveo A M P

Scion xB G P M

Hyundai Accent/ A P P

Kia Rio

*With side airbags. Rating is "P" without airbags.

I guess that's why everyone drives an SUV in the US. If ya can't beat'em, join'em! 8)

and here we go again with American stereotypes.

So some people drive SUVS, and then people say "Hey, I should buy and SUV too because it's safer in a crash against another vehicle." Pretty soon the majority of people drive SUVs. So what happens if you crash an SUV into an SUV? If everone is driving something the same size, then it's the same as if it were 2 same sized cars.

I hate SUVs. Maybe we should worry more about having a car that handles better and won't flip over. Can stop better, and doesn't have so many damn blind spots. Let's prevent accidents, not try to make them more comfortable.

Two things need to happen - firstly someone (probably the govt.) has to get people out of their SUV's. They should do what they do in London with all those taxes on 4X4's.

Then the yanks need a new car to drive. Answer = Commodore.

See, I know all :angel:

Last edited:
The stupid thing is these small cars usually do better in th NCAP tests so its either the tests are very different or the Americans are still on the older less safe models.

ncap tests don?t include being run over by some redneck in a 5 ton pickup.......but include normal cars.......

a smart f.e. survives a crash against a s-class

[youtube]97f-7ef6SC8[/youtube]

don?t misinterpret it.....the smart saved the drivers by translating all the energy to the s-class.....because the smart is very tough like a monocoque.....

but what about the Ford F150?

[YOUTUBE]gCIBOYxzqko[/YOUTUBE]

OK, perhaps the chrysler does better:

[YOUTUBE]pnsRKc6GRk8[/YOUTUBE]

Ford Escape (love this one!)

[YOUTUBE]9FM2CQSSaH4[/YOUTUBE]

Ford Explorer

[YOUTUBE]rYJs6mr_kyk[/YOUTUBE]

I prefer a small car!

Last edited by a moderator:
If everone is driving something the same size, then it's the same as if it were 2 same sized cars.

I hate SUVs. Maybe we should worry more about having a car that handles better and won't flip over.

Where to begin...

No, it's not not the same. I have a huge ass crumple zone in our SUV compared to one in small car. So a SUV vs SUV crash just may indeed be safer. And with electronic stability control that's being put on all cars soon, SUVs are like next to impossible to roll over on a flat surface.

However, the real reason we bought it was because it was a SUV. With Mt. Hood less than an hour from my house, we need 4WD and decent clearance. Sure, you could get that in a car, but it wouldn't be able to carry 7 people like our Explorer can.

It also wouldn't be able to pull a trailer or carry this must shit for example:

http://img82.imageshack.**/img82/4936/cimg1006largeao9.jpg

The entire back end inside was full of stuff too (look how much the rear suspension is squished).

Anyway, my point is not everyone just buys an SUV to drive their kids to school. ;)

watch teh last video viper ;)
A) You edited your post after I posted mine. :p

B) That crash looks fine to me. Am I missing something? :confused: It looks to me like the large crumple zone did it's job (it's supposed to smash up and not be a brick). I mean, the side door and passenger compartment looks perfectly intact, at least based on that video...

That's the previous generation (like 4 years old I'd say). I'd imagine the current generation is a lot better. ;)

A) You edited your post after I posted mine. :p

B) That crash looks fine to me. Am I missing something? :confused: It looks to me like the large crumple zone did it's job (it's supposed to smash up and not be a brick). I mean, the side door and passenger compartment looks perfectly intact, at least based on that video...

a) yes i know :)

b) principally yes, but the floor and roof deform and may hurt you.....and the door flies open, not good......but better than others in any case ;)

This is quite interesting:

http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTestingMINICooperVsFordF150

But your right, the new F150 is better..

image.ashx

Where to begin...

No, it's not not the same. I have a huge ass crumple zone in our SUV compared to one in small car. So a SUV vs SUV crash just may indeed be safer. And with electronic stability control that's being put on all cars soon, SUVs are like next to impossible to roll over on a flat surface.

However, the real reason we bought it was because it was a SUV. With Mt. Hood less than an hour from my house, we need 4WD and decent clearance. Sure, you could get that in a car, but it wouldn't be able to carry 7 people like our Explorer can.

It also wouldn't be able to pull a trailer or carry this must shit for example:

http://img82.imageshack.**/img82/4936/cimg1006largeao9.jpg

The entire back end inside was full of stuff too (look how much the rear suspension is squished).

Anyway, my point is not everyone just buys an SUV to drive their kids to school. ;)

No, I completely understand. I applaud you for buying an SUV and putting it to good use. You are using it for what it's meant to do. Take all your luggage, camping gear, etc. Along with your family into the mountains. This is what they are meant for.

However, I see no point in owning an SUV for the sole purpose of driving it every day with no passengers and just hogging up the roads while talking on a cellphone. Which is what I see every day. I have already had many close calls, usually due to some woman on her cell phone in a massive SUV not paying attention. The only reason I was able to avoid the accidents is because I have a small nimble car.

There is no reason for a luxury SUV like the Lincoln Navigator, or Caddilac Escalade. Not only are they cheap, and cheesey looking with fake chrome, they are clearly not intended to be used off road, or hauling lots of stuff around.

Infact my sister has twin 1 years old boys, and she just sold her Mazda Tribute for an even larger GMC Yukon. She says it's because it's easier to load up all the stuff and the twins, with all the extra room. I find it pointless.

I can see why she doesn't want to drive a Minivan, but there is plenty of nice station wagons available. Like my father's Mazda 6. It's not something to complain about, it is a very decent, and sporty car. Yet still has plenty of space for passengers and other belongings.

So, anyways, I have a very strong feeling about SUVs. I know everyone is different and not every SUV driver is an idiot, but I can't even explain how many closes calls I have had because of someone in an SUV, Pickup, or other large vehicle. They take turns to wide, run you off the road, and just don't pay enough attention to other vehicles.

Look above. I just posted this exact link. ead the one from the newyorker that is posted on that page (I also posted it above.) It's a long read, but it's makes a lot of very good points.

Last edited:
No, I completely understand. I applaud you for buying an SUV and putting it to good use. You are using it for what it's meant to do. Take all your luggage, camping gear, etc. Along with your family into the mountains. This is what they are meant for.

However, I see no point in owning an SUV for the sole purpose of driving it every day with no passengers and just hogging up the roads while talking on a cellphone. Which is what I see every day. I have already had many close calls, usually due to some woman on her cell phone in a massive SUV not paying attention. The only reason I was able to avoid the accidents is because I have a small nimble car.

There is no reason for a luxury SUV like the Lincoln Navigator, or Caddilac Escalade. Not only are they cheap, and cheesey looking with fake chrome, they are clearly not intended to be used off road, or hauling lots of stuff around.

Infact my sister has twin 1 years old boys, and she just sold her Mazda Tribute for an even larger GMC Yukon. She says it's because it's easier to load up all the stuff and the twins, with all the extra room. I find it pointless.

I can see why she doesn't want to drive a Minivan, but there is plenty of nice station wagons available. Like my father's Mazda 6. It's not something to complain about, it is a very decent, and sporty car. Yet still has plenty of space for passengers and other belongings.

So, anyways, I have a very strong feeling about SUVs. I know everyone is different and not every SUV driver is an idiot, but I can't even explain how many closes calls I have had because of someone in an SUV, Pickup, or other large vehicle. They take turns to wide, run you off the road, and just don't pay enough attention to other vehicles.

Look above. I just posted this exact link. ead the one from the newyorker that is posted on that page (I also posted it above.) It's a long read, but it's makes a lot of very good points.

The problem I have is that people in general don't want to learn how to drive properly. It's just the ones in the SUVs that are more noticible, and easier to hate since people already don't like them.

That link mentioned about people in Jettas avoiding crashes with others because they are more nimble, but from my experiance, it doesn't matter if the guy is driving a Smart or a Semi, they'll just panic, lock up, and more than likely steer into the crash. Granted most of us here have the skills or knowhow to avoid accidents (I would certainly hope so), but we are just that small exception to the rule.

If people would learn how to drive courteously rather than like a bunch of blithering idiots, we wouldn't have this problem with the SUV (or at least it wouldn't be as big). After all, it was a Honda Civic, not a Ford Explorer, that cut me off, the driver had a cell phone in one hand, other hand covering up his ear, his passenger holding the steering wheel as they sped through traffic.

Also, don't judge everyone who sits alone in an SUV, they may have already dropped off their passengers :p

Where to begin...

When you hit something it doesn't mean a thing if you have ESP or not, chances are bigger that you'll roll over than in a normal car.

There's no road to Mt. Hood, you have to go offroad? :mrgreen:
And how often you use all seven seats, honestly? I mean if you don't have a biiig familty it's completely useless.

There's no road to Mt. Hood, you have to go offroad? :mrgreen:
And how often you use all seven seats, honestly? I mean if you don't have a biiig familty it's completely useless.

Yeah, but we do go out into Mt. Hood National Forest from time to time, and 4WD is nice to have in the snow where you need traction.

As for 7 seats, the 3rd row is usually folded flat, but it's nice when we go on vacation with my dad's girl friend (3 people in the 2nd row sucks, so one or two of us sit in the 3rd row). Plus we can take a friend or two if we want.

Not to mention all the space. We used to have soooooo much trouble getting all our camping gear + 4 or 5 people in the Corsica. Often had to take 2 cars. :(

Yeah, it fixed after reloading the page, that's why I deleted the post almost immediately :) Dunno where you got the quote.

Images aren't resized until your browser thinks they are fully loaded. Sometimes they fail to load all the way or something, so... ;)