JC on the VW Golf GT (TSI)

I've got to admit....I'm kind of worried about Clarkson. It seems the reviews online are more and more about the trip, and less and less about the car. JC seems to have taken all his bile regarding English motorways out on a VW. I have a feeling that he would have trashed the most expensive Aston had he taken it on this journey.

JC is also getting more and more political in his rants. What's with the trashing of LibDems? Cripes, they didn't make the car!

The writing is more and more about JC's view of the world, or how he thinks it should be. And quite honestly, when he's funny it's a good read. But when he's mean, it's boring....and I never thought I'd say that about Clarkson. But this recent column falls exactly in that category.

Yep, but the version the continentals get is that its us who are the bad guys, hence AiR's post.
Nah I just commented on the fact that you drive on the wrong side of the road and britains electrical system is as ancient as the romans who installed it. That sort of thing ;)
We too, unfortunately, tend to put things the EU comes up with in their weekly law-lotteries where they make random laws based on dice-throws, into our law. I am a continental? To me, continentals are french, spaniards and others who are in the union but doesnt give a toss about the laws. EU needs a trim, but apparently we cant do that either. Because the continentals wont let us.

But ranting aside, you still drive on the left side, drink tea instead of coffee and mix fish and fries. That's just wrong :p

But ranting aside, you still drive on the left side, drink tea instead of coffee and mix fish and fries. That's just wrong :p

Chips not fries, they are an entirely different kettle of fish.

Me dad once had fish and chips in Aberdeen, his assessment is that it is horrid. And this is the man who can suck the brains out of fish, call it nice, watch my mother puke, and smile about it.

I, however, has not eaten fish and chips, so I'll tone my criticism down a bit, but I do think you go too far when you make deep fried candy bars.

Fish and chips is not that weird ! I tried it several times in London and it's nice. I can't see what is revolting about it.

Nah I just commented on the fact that you drive on the wrong side of the road and britains electrical system is as ancient as the romans who installed it. That sort of thing ;)

I won't have some one knocking the british electrical system ethier ;) especially seeing the EU want us to loose the proper 3pin plug and adopt the crappy euro 2pin!!!

Fish and chips is great too, but bad if you someone doesn't know how to do it right, you also need serious amounts of salt and viniger. Guess what I'm having for dinner :D

On a different note, just got back from france, you weirdo's put UHT in your tea!!!! I forgot just how horrible that stuff is :barf:

What's proper with the 3-pin-unit? It sucks, and must surely be more complex. Furthermore, the British hotels I've visited all had some sort of converters, funnily enough, the converter looked like a lavatory.

But who knows, I might take the boat and get some cod, fry it and get som chips.

This thread is just as much about the Golf GT as Jeremys review :D

I have no idea what UHT is but I'm sure it's put in tea simply because you should drink coffee instead.
I do wish the EU good luck in replacing your faulty wiring. There is nothing proper about BS1363 ;)

Last edited:
I don't understand, whats wrong with our wiring?
3 pins is sensible. Positive, Negative and Earth.
And they are not really that complicated, you learn how to wire them in Science at school.

So...do we know what that "W" button is fore? I would imagine it's some sort of traction/stability control for "Wet" conditions?

We have a small connector on the side for earth.

So...do we know what that "W" button is fore? I would imagine it's some sort of traction/stability control for "Wet" conditions?

I swear I've read some other columnist rant about that same damn W button. Can't remember where though. It said that the author got so frustrated with it that he used to press it all the time while waiting for trafic lights to change..

Well anyway, I think it said in that article that it's a "winter" setting which when pressed limits the torque on lower gears..

W button - But if what it is supposed to do is not in the manual who would know?

UK three pin plug - was designed with square pins so that a firmer electrical contact could be made between the plug and socet as it is easier to press against a flat face rather than a round pin. You can prove this yourself by gripping as firmly as possible a round stick, then comparing the amount of pressure you can get against say a childs brick face. Previously (pre 1965 ish) we used a round three pin system that was unsatisfactory for power applications.

Driving on the right is an affect of the Napoleonic wars and as we were not invaded we stayed on the left as we (and everyone else actually) had always been.

Fish and chips great but can be easily mucked up if not done properly, best one around my way is run by a nice chinese family.

Tea - I can not tell you the ways that non tea drinking nations find to muck up making one of the worlds great drinks. Sticking UHT milk in it for gods sake!

wow that was a bad, bad review!

I like tea, if it's good tea. Actually bought special tea from a teashop in London.

I have to say, wouldn't it be easier to use the gear leaver with your right hand? :)

As for our electrical contacts, there are no problem with the contact we're using, and I'm willing to bet it's cheaper to make.

I like tea, if it's good tea. Actually bought special tea from a teashop in London.

I have to say, wouldn't it be easier to use the gear leaver with your right hand? :)

As for our electrical contacts, there are no problem with the contact we're using, and I'm willing to bet it's cheaper to make.

pfft, unless you're the biggest sissy in the world there isn't a problem changing with your left.

and I like the British plug, it doesn't fall out easily.

Heres an advantage of our plugs. The wire always hangs down, not out, so you can shove them in tight places.