Pontiac Solstice Outselling Mazda MX-5 Miata

On a side note: That Ecotec engine isn't a relative of that appauling Buick V8/V6 engine of the same name is it? We had those in Commodores of the early to mid 90s... Man they're poor engines.

no, totally different ECOtec. the newer ECOtec's r extremely reliable engines. they also love boost. theyre torquey engines also. its weird to see an engine like mine to have so much torque.

I need a bit of trunk when the top is up, and I need to be able to open and close the top while sitting down at a stop light. I might, just might, forgive the Solstice for eating the trunk space when the top is up, but I could never forgive the fact you have to get out of the car to raise and lower the convertible top.

Ive actually done that...though not easy it is possible. I was the passanger though.

At the light I unbluckled, popped the trunk up, pulled the roof back threw it down, stretched a long way to push both corners of the roof down...then slammed the roof. I am a goalie so I am pretty flexible, so I do not reccomend doing it. It was funny though caz my dad was laughing his head off.

Just one of the drawbacks to owning the car.

If I owned a Solstice I'd never raise the top. I didn't in my Miata, unless it was raining hard.

I cruised in that sucker in the snow with the top down. Just need a driving jacket, hat, and gloves.

Different engine I beleive, the ecotec in the commodore was used right up until the VY (though you can't really tell because it changed so much, the difference between my friends VS and my brothers VY in the engine is world's apart)

The main change on the ECOTEC version of the V6 in the Commodore was lower internal friction (diffrent pistons) modded block, heaps of porting mods and EFI system.

The motor between the VS and VY is basically the same with a few mods on the balanceing and the EFI system.

I hate those V6 motors, but alas they are very light, produce bucketloads of low down torque, compact, use bugger all fuel, the EFI system is so easily reprogramable its not funny and cheap to get another one when one breaks.....as a motor for a engine swap nothing beats it on price to performance....

Sadly the RB30E/ET (now there is a motor I love.....besides the aweful noise they make) is a step backwards from the V6, its physically too large for its capacity, very heavy and its weight distribution is poor.......uh....it hurts to say that.

ECOTEC is a emissions system, based on the computer those motors ran. ECO Technology. I belive it has to do with the closed loop EFI control system with its learn function.

You can knock GM all you like (I do :p) but their EFI and electronics have always been second to none....

BUT!

back on topic....

I like it it looks funky....how about a hard top version? The other problem I see is that people will "act all cool" and won't buy one since its been the "In" thing to hate and bag GM.....

Last edited:
I like it it looks funky....how about a hard top version?

Bob Lutz (GM VP) said it is possible there will be a coupe in the Solstice's future. resembling the Solstice Concept.....
untitled.jpg

Bob Lutz (GM VP) said it is possible there will be a coupe in the Solstice's future. resembling the Solstice Concept.....

I saw this at the NY Auto Show last year, there is definitely interest in a hardtop. If they make it, I may have to reconsider my Z06/Cayman dreams... Though I must confess, I like the Sky's look better.

http://img78.imageshack.**/img78/1070/img7460ku0.jpg

http://img186.imageshack.**/img186/3866/img7461vg9.jpg

Need more umph in a MX-5? Shoe horn a LS7 into it. That should sort it, right?

The Soltice looks truely revolting, I almost got the gingerbread men in my stomack all over my laptop when I saw that front.

Saturn, though, I like. What do you pay for one of those in the US, and what's the specs?

The Soltice looks truely revolting, I almost got the gingerbread men in my stomack all over my laptop when I saw that front.

didnt think someone would actually get sick from seein a car.

didnt think someone would actually get sick from seein a car.
Didn't think anyone would ever say anything like that ever in the world.

You, Sir, is a brave man.

This happens over and over again 1 year for great sales then it dies.... Anyone remember the SSR ?

Heres the real question is the miata down in sales ?

This happens over and over again 1 year for great sales then it dies.... Anyone remember the SSR ?
No. No one does. It was a concept that everyone loved at an auto show, so GM made it. Then no one bought it, and they got rid of it. All in the space of about 4 years. People liked the idea of a hot rod pickup, but didn't care for the HUGE ($40,000+) price tag and the wood-lined and useless bed. That, coupled with the fact that the first model year's car went from 0-60 in a rather unimpressive 7.5 seconds didn't help sales.

Heres the real question is the miata down in sales ?
Yes and no. November's Miata sales were down 38.9% when compared to last November's, but TOTAL year-to-date sales are up 80.5%.

I'm not surprised that the Miata is losing the sales race. It's just not as pretty as the Solstice or Sky, and they are both the same price. Thankfully, GM has done a good job of not letting production get out of control. The Solstice actually has one of the highest resale values of all cars, and the highest of the domestics, period. GM's caution seems to have paid dividends.

I guess I have little faith in GM... If they have a hit here they'll come up with some way of mucking it up. It's hard to believe in a company that kills off Olds and keeps Buick

I'm glad they're starting to make fun cars here again. The last few years they've all been boring and ugly. These cars feel like little Corvettes when you sit in them. I'd love to have a Sky someday. It looks fantastic! A coupe version would be really nice.

http://img78.imageshack.**/img78/1070/img7460ku0.jpg

I believe you can get that roof from dealerships, or some sort of hard top.

If you like the Solstice/Sky but think it needs a little more oomph, then here's the car for you.
solsticev8blacklg.jpg

A company called Mallet Cars will fit your Solstice (and I'd assume the Sky) with a 400hp LS2 V8. All it'll cost is a Solstice and $20k.
solsticeenginefetts.jpg

According to their website, 0-60mph in 4.4 sec. and the 1/4 mile in 12.8@113mph.

On another note, I like the looks of the Solstice more than the Sky. The grill is the only thing I would change. I think it needs to be inset from the body instead of flush. When I saw this picture I think it's perfect.
http://img186.imageshack.**/img186/3866/img7461vg9.jpg

Drove a Miata, Sky, and S2K. If the Sky had been the new Redline version, I may have considered it, but it just didn't feel as fun as the Mazda or Honda. When it came down to those two, the looks of the new Miata haven't grown on me yet, and I think the Honda's still a bit pricey for what it is, so I grabbed a mint '04 Miata. Maybe in a year or so I'll give the Sky Redline another go, but for now I'm happy with my choice.