The Motor Trend 2007 Car of the year is...?

I am sorry but that is a shocking decision, I don't understand how it could be, IMO the camry is just a car, no innovation, no style just a car. Some of the others in the list at least have some innovation/class about them. What does the camry really offer better than the others?

So the best car on sale in America is a soul-less, get-you-here-to-there item? Great. Did they even bother looking at the other candidates?? Or was Toyota's check the first to arrive in their mailbox?:rolleyes:

You guys are pretty harsh on Motor Trend. It's hard to please everyone all of the time.

I think that I'll subscribe to the thought that the Media is being paid off by Toyota. I swear, every time they have a segment about cars on CNN or others, they always seem to be kissing Toyota's ass.

"Here's Ford's new Focus. It's their attempt to be fuel effecient, like Toyota, but the fact is that Ford still builds huge gas guzzling SUVs instead of fuel effecient hybrids like Toyota does, I don't think the Focus is a very good car. If you're thinking about a Focus, go for a Corolla instead. Or perhaps you could upgrade to a Camry or a hybrid Prius. Ford doesn't have a hybrid like Toyota does. Remember, buy Toyota, and help the enviroment."

Yeah...besides, the Camry is kinda ugly...

You guys are pretty harsh on Motor Trend. It's hard to please everyone all of the time.

Yes, true! But! It irks me to no end that a magazine whom is staffed with, I would assume, people who are passionate about cars and the industry would pick a Toyota Camry. If cars were a color, a Camry would be beige. If cars were ice cream, it would be vanilla. See what I mean? It is soulless transportation, and I am NOT going to compromise my passions and accept this vehicles as the 2007 car of the year.

Well 07 was over shadowed by the LS in my opinion self parking and lower price than other techno cars. Don't get me wrong I don?t like either of the cars, but at least award a jump for the brass ring. Its almost they said "winner of most well behaved"

Yes, true! But! It irks me to no end that a magazine whom is staffed with, I would assume, people who are passionate about cars and the industry would pick a Toyota Camry. If cars were a color, a Camry would be beige. If cars were ice cream, it would be vanilla. See what I mean? It is soulless transportation, and I am NOT going to compromise my passions and accept this vehicles as the 2007 car of the year.

They never choose something exotic, look at the past COTY winners:

2007 Toyota Camry
2006 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler 300C
2004 Toyota Prius
2003 Infiniti G35
2002 Ford Thunderbird
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
2000 Lincoln LS
1999 Chrysler 300M

I don't want to go back any further since they used to separate the imports from the domestics in their awards.

I think that I'll subscribe to the thought that the Media is being paid off by Toyota. I swear, every time they have a segment about cars on CNN or others, they always seem to be kissing Toyota's ass.

"Here's Ford's new Focus. It's their attempt to be fuel effecient, like Toyota, but the fact is that Ford still builds huge gas guzzling SUVs instead of fuel effecient hybrids like Toyota does, I don't think the Focus is a very good car. If you're thinking about a Focus, go for a Corolla instead. Or perhaps you could upgrade to a Camry or a hybrid Prius. Ford doesn't have a hybrid like Toyota does. Remember, buy Toyota, and help the enviroment."

Yeah...besides, the Camry is kinda ugly...
What the?

Where is that from!? :blink:

2007 Toyota Camry - crap economy car
2006 Honda Civic - crap economy car
2005 Chrysler 300C - decent car - worthy
2004 Toyota Prius - econo-box.. should have been insight if they wanted hybrid
2003 Infiniti G35 - decent car - worthy
2002 Ford Thunderbird - crap car for old people
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser - innovative for the year, but not worthy
2000 Lincoln LS - decent car - worthy?? not likely..
1999 Chrysler 300M - decent car - worthy though?? perhaps

Yeah they have off years for sure.

I would disagree with the Civic as a crap economy car. It is basicly the mustang of the 21st century as far as the aftermarket is concerned.

Just look at their choice for SUV Of The Year this year.

The GL450????????????????? :lol: :barf: :sick:

Truth be told this wasn't a good year for new cars, imho.

I know you guys are all about "soul" and "passion" and all those other flowery personification words Clarkson uses to cover up the fact that he knows a car is crap. The Camry has proven time and again that it's THE American family car. That is not only just as important as the hyper-performance you all crave, it's even MORE important. Added to that, you have the reputation that the new car had to live up to from previous generations of good cars. You can't discard a car's good points just because it's common or mass-marketed.

And I think that many of their previous choices are good, as well.

Actually, if you read the review, they talk about how UN-souless it is. Sure, it's ugly...but there are some pretty "daring" design cues for what it is...

"Here's Ford's new Focus. It's their attempt to be fuel effecient, like Toyota, but the fact is that Ford still builds huge gas guzzling SUVs instead of fuel effecient hybrids like Toyota does,

Right...and...who makes the Sequoia, the Land Cruiser, the Tundra, the Rav 4, the 4 runner, the Tacoma...(just explaining why your joke is funny or those who may not get it...)

The Ford Ranger is the most fuel-efficient pick-up in the US...and Ford makes the most fuel efficient mini-SUV, the Ford Escape Hybrid. Also, generally speaking, Ford's engines produce less pollution out of their tailpipes than most other cars. While they may burn a little more fuel, the stuff coming out of the tailpipe is a bit cleaner.

I don't think the Focus is a very good car. If you're thinking about a Focus, go for a Corolla instead. Or perhaps you could upgrade to a Camry or a hybrid Prius.

Umm...that argument doesn't make sense...if you're considering a Focus, you a) probably can't afford a Camry, or b) don't think the Camry is an "upgrade."

I rented a car once, and WANTED a compact car. They didn't have one, so the "upgraded" me free to the mid-sized sedan. I was planning on putting 3,000 miles in this car, so having a 6cyl engine didn't appeal to me since I had to pay for the gas for a bigger car that would be mostly empty...

Ford doesn't have a hybrid like Toyota does. Remember, buy Toyota, and help the enviroment."

Ford Escape...plus, Fusion coming soon. Oh, and by the way: once you factor in the environmental cost of the batteries and the cost of development, the Prius ends up being worse for the environment than an H2 Hummer.

http://www.hybridcarnews.org/entry/hug-a-hummer-not-hybrid/

The average Prius owning home gets worse "household" milage that the average Civic home...that's because more often then not, the Prius is parked next to an SUV...

Sorry...the Prius just pisses me off for so many reasons...

Long and seemingly purposeless post.

^ Err, what the hell are you doing there? Overdeveloped sense of self-expression?

I don't know, but I don't see the point of pulling my post apart like that. I don't know if he's trying to explain to others my joke, or he misinterpreted my post thinking I didn't know what I was talking about.