JC on the VW Golf GT (TSI)

300px-Stekker.jpg

You mean like this? :p

Are they all like that?

Not all are like that. But on equipment that stays in one place for longer periods, most of em have either that plug or this one:
Europlug.png

Equipment that doesn't stay in one place very long generally has a plug where the wire comes out of the top of the plug.

pfft, unless you're the biggest sissy in the world there isn't a problem changing with your left.

and I like the British plug, it doesn't fall out easily.
Not saying it's a problem, but most people use their right hand to i.e. write, so you have more controle with that hand.

Problem, not. But I'd probably find it unusual for a time, though.

Our plugs don't fall out.
Heres an advantage of our plugs. The wire always hangs down, not out, so you can shove them in tight places.
So does our, if we wish them to.

Are they all like that?
Not all, if you need to put many of them in like a power switch with 4-7 contacts, the plug with the wire straight out fits that situation better.

But the plug pictured over is quite normal, and very nice for some situations.

Not all, if you need to put many of them in like a power switch with 4-7 contacts, the plug with the wire straight out fits that situation better.

But the plug pictured over is quite normal, and very nice for some situations.

I find the moulded soft plastic european ones a lot better than the flimsy english ones. Those plugs don't break, even if you drive a car over them (yes i've tried that out, although it wasn't on purpose8))

I find the moulded soft plastic european ones a lot better than the flimsy english ones. Those plugs don't break, even if you drive a car over them (yes i've tried that out, although it wasn't on purpose8))

Nowadays we have a lot of moulded plastic plugs but our normal ones aren't flimsy, good hard plastic.

hard plastic shatters too easily. That's what i originally meant, guess it came out wrong. If you accidentally step on a hard plastic plug, the plastic shatters and your plug will be broken. When you step on a soft plastic one, it'll bend a bit but it won't break.

Well I've never had one break but I suppose they would easier tthan a moulded type.

I swear I've read some other columnist rant about that same damn W button. Can't remember where though. It said that the author got so frustrated with it that he used to press it all the time while waiting for trafic lights to change..

Well anyway, I think it said in that article that it's a "winter" setting which when pressed limits the torque on lower gears..
Richard Porter, who is also the editor of Sniff Petrol and Top Gear scriptwriter, wrote a column about it and pointless abbreviations in the latest issue of EVO (#99). His columns are always funny... :lol:

So the W-button is nothing else than a traction control in order to get power on the road on slippery surfaces?

God, reporters must be damn lazy bastards nowadays - they sure would've found a nice entry in the owners manual or a competen spokesman at Volkswagen, but looking something up probably exceeds their mental abilities nowadays. (Find that a bit rough? Well, the Golf GT seems to have received a similar harsh review in some british car mags lately... ;) )

Strangely enough, it's hugely popular in Norwegian car press. Mostly because of the price, I guess. It's about 250 000 NOK, about ? 20 500.

Can't remember that any German motor mag gave it a bad review (yes, they may be biased, but the praise for it was exceeding the usual gentleness by far, so I guess it iosn't all that bad)

Can't remember that any German motor mag gave it a bad review
Well, the AutoBild Sportscars did like the car and the engine, but criticised VW for saying that it is up to a TDI in economy, which it isn't. In my book, it is ecnomical enough for a 170hp car though. They also questioned the durability, which this engine still has to prove.

I'll search the article later and post some quotes.

Regards
the Interceptor

Okay, saying that it'll be up to the TDI in fuel consumption is utterly BS by VW and they should know that. And durability has to be proven, hopefully it won't be a deasaster like the G-charger back in the late 1980s.

Owning this car, i really do not quite understand Jeremys point, it seems. Strange thing for me is that, I would crizise the car for a complete other thing than Jeremy did: The problem is, that it just doesn't feel sporty somehow, due to 2 problems:
The first one is that you do not get immediate throttle response because, when you step on the gas, it takes sometime until the supercharger gets connected via the magnetic clutch. The other thing is, that it kind of lacks power in the upper rev region. You always expect a bit more somehow.....
The only other problem i have until now is that i've got a little rattling in the back driving over bad roads, so for me the car is a good "cruiser" but not really a sportscar..

I've got to admit....I'm kind of worried about Clarkson. It seems the reviews online are more and more about the trip, and less and less about the car. JC seems to have taken all his bile regarding English motorways out on a VW. I have a feeling that he would have trashed the most expensive Aston had he taken it on this journey.

JC is also getting more and more political in his rants. What's with the trashing of LibDems? Cripes, they didn't make the car!

The writing is more and more about JC's view of the world, or how he thinks it should be. And quite honestly, when he's funny it's a good read. But when he's mean, it's boring....and I never thought I'd say that about Clarkson. But this recent column falls exactly in that category.

He has been that way for awhile. The rule of thumb is that if he likes the car he will write about it more, if he doesn't he will rant about something else. Read his review of the 2004 Honda Civic for a good example of this: two pages, only 3 paragraphs about the car.