Overtime gives prison guards fat salary

I guess Schwarzenegger has to be quicker with the death row paperwork and increase penalties for all crimes to death penalty.

I guess there is a flaw in the system, it might be nice to correct it by some means. I would be delighted to hear that they actually spend money on prisons as long as they do their job properly which I think they are in this case.

The People's Governor anounced this recently:

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger today unveiled a comprehensive prison reform proposal to confront California?s dangerous prison overcrowding crisis and reduce the high recidivism rate.

The plan would add 16,238 beds in state correctional facilities, build 45,000 local jail beds, set aside $1 billion for 10,000 medical and mental health beds pursuant to the Receiver?s plans, enact Jessica?s Law, California?s new landmark initiative to protect children against sex offenders, creates a sentencing commission, and realigns resources to ensure the worst criminals are not a threat to public safety.

?Public safety is my highest priority and my administration will continue to address California?s prison crisis while ensuring that dangerous criminals do not pose a threat to our families or communities,? said Governor Schwarzenegger. ?After decades of neglect as our state?s population has dramatically expanded, our prison system desperately needs to be overhauled. I am looking forward to working with my partners in the Legislature, crime victims, law enforcement groups and correctional officers to bring lasting change to California?s prison system.?

?Counties agree that corrections reform only makes sense if the problems of overcrowding and recidivism are addressed holistically ? at both the state and local levels. We stand ready to work with the Governor and Legislature in the months ahead as we find solutions that work for all of us,? said Frank Bigelow, President of the California State Association of Counties and Madera County Supervisor.

"I am eager to work with the Governor to realize his ambitious vision to keep the worst criminals behind bars while reducing our high recidivism rate. Attention to re-entry, local jails, and local probation departments should reduce the overcrowding problem. This is a great starting point for real reform and change," said Jan Scully, District Attorney of Sacramento County.

Additional Housing. To meet current demands, prepare for growth and provide prisoners and officers with a safer environment, the Governor is proposing $10.6 billion in bond financing and $0.3 billion from the General Fund to expand California?s prison and jail capacity by a total of 78,000 beds. Details include:

Local jails and juvenile facilities: $5.5 billion ($4.4 billion lease revenue bonds, $1.1 billion in local matching funds).
Proposal will fund 45,000 local beds and 5,000 juvenile beds.
Twenty jails are currently under court-ordered population caps and twelve more have self-imposed caps.
In 2005 alone, 233,388 individuals avoided incarceration or were released early from jail sentences due solely to a lack of jail space.
California needs to build 40,000 new jail beds by 2050 just to address population growth.

State prisons: $4.4 billion ($3.3 billion lease revenue bonds, $800 million contract authority, $300 million General Fund).
Proposal will fund 16,238 new state prison beds on existing sites; 5,000-7,000 beds in new secure re-entry facilities; build a new training facility; and construct a modernized Death Row at San Quentin.
California?s 174,000 prison population lives in facilities designed for 100,000, and overcrowding has forced more than 17,000 inmates into gymnasium and classroom housing, a dangerous alternative that puts both offenders and guards in danger. CDCR estimates it needs 50,000 new state prison beds over the next 15 years.

Healthcare facilities?$1.0 billion(lease-revenue bonds). In order to provide specialized beds and treatment and program space for mental health and medical services as directed by the court-appointed Receiver in Plata v. Schwarzenegger, the plan sets aside $1 billion.

In addition, Governor Schwarzenegger proposes placing some low-level and juvenile offenders in county facilities rather than state facilities to allow offenders who pose a minimal public safety risk to serve their sentences closer to their communities and families. This is particularly important for juvenile offenders.

In addition to the $5.5 billion expansion in county facilities, the Governor?s Office will work with local county sheriffs to find solutions to the ongoing operating costs caused by the shift in population.

Jessica?s Law Implementation. To protect Californians from sex offenders and implement Jessica?s Law, the landmark proposal passed in November, theGovernor is proposing $59 million in the 2006-07 budget and $178 million in the 2007-08 budget for the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, the Department of Mental Health (DMH), and the Department of Justice (DOJ) to implement Jessica?s Law. Details include:

Jessica?s Law
CDCR: $30.4 million in 2006-07 and $75.6 million in 2007-08, and ongoing, for CDCR to:
? Screen inmates to determine if they should be categorized as Sexually Violent Predators.
? Provide Global Positioning System monitoring for paroled sex offenders.
? Reduce Parole caseloads through additional hires, so that agents can more closely monitor sex offenders.

DMH: $28.9 million in 2006 and $53.9 million in 2007-08, and ongoing, for DMH to:
? Provide for an increase in Sexually Violent Predators as patients at state mental hospitals.
? Manage increased Sexually Violent Predator evaluations and court testimony.
? Offset increased administrative costs at Department headquarters and Coalinga State Hospital.
? Make $500 million in lease revenue bonds available to construct additional mental health facilities.

High Risk Sex Offenders
$47.2 million in 2007-08 and ongoing funding for CDCR to implement the High Risk Sex Offender Task Force recommendations, including:
? Training for Parole Agents on the Sex Offender Containment Model, risk assessment tools, and polygraph testing.
? HRSO parolee treatment and biannual polygraph testing.
? Dedicated Parole Agents for statewide Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement Teams, and staff to liaison with communities and local law enforcement.
? Creation of a Sex Offender Management Board.

Recent Legislation
DOJ: $767,000 in 2007-08 for the DOJ to enhance the Megan?s Law website to include additional information on sex offenders, as mandated by SB 1128 and AB 1849, both signed by Governor Schwarzenegger in September 2006.

Sentencing Commission. Twenty other states have sentencing commissions. California?s sentencing commission will evaluate California?s sentencing structure to ensure that violent criminals who pose a risk to public safety stay behind bars, while non-violent, non-serious offenders serve appropriate sentences. Currently, California?s determinate sentencing structure requires the majority of serious and violent offenders, including many sex offenders, be released from prison when their set term is served. Conversely, thousands of low-level offenders are serving lengthy mandatory sentences, with little opportunity for rehabilitation because overcrowded conditions impede meaningful rehabilitation programming. Specifically, the proposal includes:

17-member Commission appointed by the Governor, which will consist of: Four legislators recommended by leadership, the Attorney General, the Secretary of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR), a state judge and representatives from law enforcement and crime victims groups. Members will serve four-year terms.
The Commission will solicit feedback and recommend improvements to the State?s current sentencing guidelines. It will report its findings to the Legislature annually.
In addition, the Commission will review any legislation that impacts sentencing and act as the State?s research clearinghouse on sentencing policy. In the first year, it will focus on California?s parole system.

Parole Reform. California is one of just two states in the country where every offender must serve out a mandatory parole period following their sentence. Instead of focusing on ex-offenders who need the most monitoring and support, the current parole structure requires law enforcement to track everyone who has served time. The Governor?s proposal includes modifying California?s parole structure to ensure law enforcement can best supervise those who are at higher risk for committing another crime.

Anti-Recidivism Programs. The first step in increasing anti-recidivism programs is building facilities to remove beds currently located in prison classrooms, workshops and gyms. The Governor's proposal accomplishes this, and also doubles the amount of funding, from $52.8 million in 2006 to $93.3 million in 2007, for drug treatment, counseling, housing assistance, and other anti-recidivism programs.

The Governor also proposes $50 million in 2007-08 to improve adult probation services, with a focus on 18-to-25 year olds. This program will be modeled after California?s successful Juvenile Justice Crime Prevention Act program, which helps keep juveniles from committing crimes. This investment will increase to $100 million in 2008-09.

http://img215.imageshack.**/img215/6540/12210608yb2.jpg

http://gov.ca.gov/index.php?/press-release/4972/

Offtopic: You mostly copy and paste don't you?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just build your "dingo" fence? :D
This is not a problem which came was created by Schwarzenegger, it was there before and you can either ignore it or try to solve it. They will spend an extra $40.5bn which seems reasonable.

Offtopic: You mostly copy and paste don't you?

You talking to me? If you are I would have to say no. If you are asking about Firecat then I would have to say yes.

You talking to me? If you are I would have to say no. If you are asking about Firecat then I would have to say yes.
You obviously. You copy articles quite often, which is useful, but you didn't comment on this one. Since you are from Cali I would be interested in your opinion <_<

You obviously. You copy articles quite often, which is useful, but you didn't comment on this one. Since you are from Cali I would be interested in your opinion <_<

I say build more prisons or expand the prisons currently in use. If they need more room then they need more room.

I actually don't live that far from the famous Folsom Prison. Had a family member that went for a time. Quite interesting actually. One side of the family is cops, the other has cops and criminals. I have one uncle that was a detective and another uncle that went to prison.:?

http://img216.imageshack.**/img216/5968/manateebx6.png