Do you double-clutch?

Do you double-clutch?

• Total voters
When you catch it just right, you'll feel it. It feels like the clutch pedal isn't connected to anything and you can bring it right out as quick as you want without feeling any movement or effect on the car, due to the speeds being perfectly synched.

It's so satisfying when you get it right isn't it?

If you can't feel the difference, it means you're not doing it right :p
When you catch it just right, you'll feel it. It feels like the clutch pedal isn't connected to anything and you can bring it right out as quick as you want without feeling any movement or effect on the car, due to the speeds being perfectly synched.
It's so satisfying when you get it right isn't it?

You guys make it sound like you need skill to double clutch. :lol:

^ correctly , yes, you need lots of skill. (using it with rev-matching)

thought-less pressing the clutch twice, no.

No there's no point in doing it in a car built on this side of 1975.

^ correctly , yes, you need lots of skill. (using it with rev-matching)

thought-less pressing the clutch twice, no.

I assume we're talking about down-shift only here? 'Couse rev-matching makes no sense in upshifting.
In that case double-clutching makes NO affect on how you feel your clutch. Simply bliping the throttle with your heel will match everything perfectly, because everything else is done by the synchro while you're moving the gearlever.
Double clutching is doing the job of the synchro, if you are already in gear, the job is done.

come on, it doesn?t take skill to double clutch, just practice... I mean my grandmother can do it, because back when she learned how to drive you simply had to...

I double clutch when I switch into reverse, since its not synchronised on my car, but other than that its complete nonsense on a modern car... heel-and-toe helps if you know how to do it, and it?s not hard either, just takes practice...

No.......although someones been watching 'The Fast And The Furious' :rolleyes:

no, it?s a huge and very annoying problem on the early 5-speed box in the new MINI... and I?m sure theres others too, but you get used to it...

No there's no point in doing it in a car built on this side of 1975.

No point mechanically - maybe. No need - most likely. But I don't do it because I need to - I do it because I find it a nice skill to have and very satifsying to do well.

http://img454.imageshack.**/img454/1780/mechaniczj4.jpg

You knew it was coming.

So, would double clutching remove the crunching sound whenever I go from 1st to reverse? It almost always happen on my Volvo 940 '93, and sounds really amateurish :-|

Loomy just read your post and I had a think about that. I automatically double-declutch between 1st and reverse, always - how strange. I think in theory it should not need it, and you should not get the crunch so long as you line the ger stick up properly in the gate but hey I do it.

So, would double clutching remove the crunching sound whenever I go from 1st to reverse? It almost always happen on my Volvo 940 '93, and sounds really amateuris

No, what's happening is that you're shifting into the reverse too quickly after you've disengaged the clutch. You need to let gearbox cogs spin down to a near stop before putting manual into reverse because a reverse gear in a manual is not synchronized (ever).

So: Clutch in, wait 3 seconds, then put it in reverse.

well, assuming that you?ve actually stopped the car completely (with the car still in 1st) before switching into reverse, then the gears aren?t moving at all...

I?m also pretty sure that there are some cars now with synched reverse gears...

YF19pilot: I see your danger to manifold picture and raise you:

http://img295.imageshack.**/img295/7377/dtmoriginaltb9.gif

I heal and tow and I can and have double de clutched on my mates Mk2 Land Rover, but it's largely pointless on a modern car unless your synchromesh breaks :p

its not largely, but completely pointless... but hey, if you get a kick out of it go ahead and do it... a guy I?m studying with claims that it is actually bad for the synchronisation rings (dunno what they?re actually called in english), but I?m not sure if he?s right...