What car would make the best long distance cruiser?

I reckon you get better fuel-economy in a 1.9 Diesel, or a 1.8/2.0t Petrol.

You dont need 250 HP to cruise along at 90 miles an hour.

We used to have a 9-3 2.2 Diesel, and it was just WONDERFUL to drive around Europe in. Used about 0.5l a mile (10 km)

Now we got a midsize SUV, with a 2.0 turbodiesel engine, producing originally 120 HP, but it's "chipped" up to 135, and when I go on roadtrips outside Norway (to Sweden), and I'm cruising at 130-140 km/h, it uses ALL the diesel in the WORLD.

So in the summer I rather use my 1993 Mazda 2.0l Petrol with 120 HP. On a "beer trip" to Sweden that saves me like $50.

Last edited:
I can highly recommend a Saab 9-5 Aero

045109-5%5DAero%5D%5D%5B%5B%5D%5D4552.jpg

Good Fuel-economy
Quite fast
Very comfy

Ahh I see your swedeish turbocharged Sport sedan and raise you a better one.

volvo.v60.r.prf2.500.jpg

Volvo S60 R..

300 HP 295 lb-ft of torque(with the manual at least which you better get because the auto blows)

Adjustable supension from comfort to advanced depending on the road conditions and upper 25 mpg plus on the highway is doable if you keep the speeds just to the left of legal.

volvo.s60.det.500.jpg

The back seats are a little tight but they are better then a Jetta or A4.

One or two year old used models with low miles can be had for well under 30,000.

volvo.s60.int.500.jpg

What's with the HORSEPOWER madness! The first post said FUEL ECONOMY!
That means a 1.4 Diesel where I come from. Not a superdupercharged V6/8

For a road trip in Norway (with no speed limits above 100 km/h) I would go for a Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion. 0.3 on the mile (10 km) and $30.000 here in Norway!

VW_Polo_Bluemotion__469676r.jpg

If I had to bring my family, I'll take the Mazda 6 2,0 Diesel Touring (sedan) - 0.5 l / 10km - 121 HP.

06.jpg

31.jpg

02.jpg

Last edited:
Oh...my mistake.

Do you have the Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion then? I reckon its 10 times better than the hideous Prius. It has certainly been getting great reviews here in Norway. I'm going to buy one in one years time.. that will cost me about $20.000.

A 2006 Bluemotion as a daily driver and a mid 90s Mx-5 in the summer... That will cost me about $30.000, and I only need to fill gas once a decade.
=)

Last edited:
Oh...my mistake.

Do you have the Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion then? I reckon its 10 times better than the hideous Prius. It has certainly been getting great reviews here in Norway. I'm going to buy one in one years time.. that will cost me about $20.000.

A 2006 Bluemotion as a daily driver and a mid 90s Mx-5 in the summer... That will cost me about $30.000, and I only need to fill gas once a decade.
=)

No problem most people in the US don't even know of half the good cars we miss out on because of stupid DOT and EPA regulations.

We don't get any versions of the polo here either.

The only cars available in the US with diesels that are less then 30,000 dollars are the smaller VWs. I don't think you can even get the new Rabbit(golf) with a TDI right now. Just the Jetta and maybe the Passat?

Mercedes has some diesels in the mix but they are all 50,000 dollars or more.

The VW diesel thing will change in late model year 08 and finally get respectable in 2009.

Fyi, the auto S60R blows because the standard S60R has 400nm, while the autobox can't handle more than 350nm, so it's taken down to 350nm in that one. And that's sad.

As for long distance cruisers, I've driven one of the new Passat 2.0 TDis, 140hp, lots of torque, on a bendy road we used about 0.6litres per 10 km. Comfortable too. Good interior ambiance, good seats, pulls well, handles well, and on a whole, it's just a good car.

If you are able to get one of those for the prize, at least try it. :)

I drove the 3.6 Passat (4 motion) and while it was a great car the throttle response was just terrible! Other than that... no complaints.

You dont need 250 HP to cruise along at 90 miles an hour.
I think more power makes the ride smoother. I remember driving my sisters Civic on roadtrips and it was constantly downshifting in Cruise Control to get up small hills. Would have been nice if it had a lazy V6 cruising along at 1700RPM going over hills with ease.

I agree with the Saab choice. Saabs have some of the most comfortable leather seats I've ever sat in. Good power and ride as well.

It's about the same as with your computer's power suply.

If your computer uses about 350w, if you've got a 450w PSU, you'll end up having a reserve of power, which means that you need less speed on the fan, it's more quiet. :)

More power = more comfort. But then again, it'll often be more fuel ecconomic.

I think more power makes the ride smoother. I remember driving my sisters Civic on roadtrips and it was constantly downshifting in Cruise Control to get up small hills. Would have been nice if it had a lazy V6 cruising along at 1700RPM going over hills with ease.

I agree with the Saab choice. Saabs have some of the most comfortable leather seats I've ever sat in. Good power and ride as well.
You might be right, but with my 1200 KG car with a 2.0 injection petrol engine, with ~120 HP i have no problems with having to down shift..unless the car is full of people and snowboards 'n stuff.
If you always bring with you tonnes of luggage and people, i can understand if you get yourself some extra horsepower.

With a Saab 1.9 Diesel with turbo and 150 HP I reckon you could just put it in 6th gear (if you have that option), and drive around the world without having to down shift.

I rented a 206 in France last summer, with a 1.2 or something. And it was just AWFUL. Seriously. When I took it for a spin in the countryside, I was struggling to keep the speedlimits, and it felt like the car was about to fall apart when I reached ~110 km/h.
So of course you need some CC and HP, so you dont wear out the engine after a week, but I dont think you need a CO2-beast with 300 HP to drive for a couple of hours.
I'm guessing that the Civic had a 1.3/1.4/1.6 or something? And i agree that if you take it out of the city - thats just not good enough.

Last edited:
Used Audi A8, diesel for fuel economy, petrol for smoothness. You can get a good one for about 20-25k and its a truly wonderful car.
1997-2003-Audi-A8-97601041990302.JPG

I'm guessing that the Civic had a 1.3/1.4/1.6 or something? And i agree that if you take it out of the city - thats just not good enough.
1.6L. But it was pretty loaded with people and lugguge. Passing power was nil too.

With a Saab 1.9 Diesel with turbo and 150 HP I reckon you could just put it in 6th gear (if you have that option), and drive around the world without having to down shift.
150hp diesel should give you very little problems with cruising in 6th gear. In a 140hp Passat TDi I could cruise at 50mph in 6th easily.

Not to forget that Saab has allways been good with ratios.

pff i was gonna say an RV, but thats out of the category :p

make food and watch TV, takes any issues out of long trips, and forget legroom problems

I can highly recommend a Saab 9-5 Aero

045109-5%5DAero%5D%5D%5B%5B%5D%5D4552.jpg

Good Fuel-economy
Quite fast
Very comfy

I think quite a good choice too.

Reference used car review: http://www.whatcar.co.uk/used-car-summary.aspx?RT=2408&type=1

US really does not have many small engined diesel cars? This is strange you will find that there is nothing to worry about with the engines now a days and the fuel economy for the high milage driver is very useful. Not as much fun to drive but as an every day car nothing wrong with owning a diesel at all - I have two myself (well one's the wifes).

Last edited:
I think quite a good choice too.

Reference used car review: http://www.whatcar.co.uk/used-car-summary.aspx?RT=2408&type=1

US really does not have many small engined diesel cars? This is strange you will find that there is nothing to worry about with the engines now a days and the fuel economy for the high milage driver is very useful. Not as much fun to drive but as an every day car nothing wrong with owning a diesel at all - I have two myself (well one's the wifes).

Problem is I think our emissions regulations are a bit more strict, and too many people have it through their heads that 1) diesel is for truckers and red necks, 2) not enough gas stations sell it (despite the fact that every gas station I know of in my area sells it), and 3) some of the older ones might think back to the "old oil burners" of the 80's. Also, because diesel doesn't sell as fast as gas, it is often higher priced, and people will site this as an argument to why hybrids are better (yeah, right).

Personally I'd love to have a diesel sedan or estate of some sort.

Thanks for the insight - the modern Diesels have very good emissions standards actually, if there are VW Oil burners sold then most should be OK on that front. Silly question what do your trucks/lorries use? If they use Diesel I am surprised that the service stations do not stock Diesel, if they do not then I am surprised indeed.