Do you smoke? (tobacco...)

Do you smoke? (tobacco...)

• Total voters
Not only does it cause respiratory and cardiovascular problems but it makes you smell like feet wrapped in burned bacon. Your gums recede, you get gingivitis and lingual cancer and have to pay for a metric ass load of cosmetic and reconstructive oral surgery. I should know, my dad performed such surgeries for years and I remember seeing the slides of the before, during and after photos as he was preparing for his lectures.

So you smell like ass, your breath reeks of carrion because your tissues are necrosing in your mouth and it's bloody expensive. Nation-wide the average price per pack is $2.37. That means that smoking a pack a day for 25 years will cost you a little more than $21,626. And that's just the cost of the smokes. Take into consideration the increased cost of health insurance, life insurance, medical procedures, dental work, and overall decreased health and productivity due to greater risk of infection and disease. Add all that up and you probably have the cost of a new Mercedes. Now factor in the cost to taxpayers who have to foot the bill for emergency services and medical care that so many smokers can't afford. Now the cost to companies in lost productivity over those 25 years of "smoke breaks."

It adds up.

I smoke daily but only after i get home from work... strangely I never feel the urge when I am busy during the day but damned if I can't get to sleep without atleast one usually 2 or 3 between the time I get home and go to bed. Honestly at this point I am willing to bet 80% of my habit is that I deeply enjoy the act of smoking vs. my body's addiction to nicotine

The plan is to quit after the new year, not sure if it is humanly possible but going to try anyway. Wish me luck I think I am going to need it.

You don't need uck, you need will power!
People that say they can't quit are weak imho! No offense!

Why does anyone start anyway!

I don't smoke, and it bothers me! bot, I don't want to be a hypocrite, so I have to admit that I do smoke sometimes, but only when I'm drunk (but I don't do that often too) just to get a bigger kick!

and yeah...You smoke, you stink!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YjrkBYDDQM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Thanks for that Devon, really apprecate how I am going to look like if I keep it uo you have helped my quest.

I do like Blind's quote
"Nation-wide the average price per pack is $2.37. That means that smoking a pack a day for 25 years will cost you a little more than $21,626."

Uk Nation-wide the average price per pack is $9,00. That means that smoking a pack a day for 25 years will cost you a little more than $81,900

All you people who are telling smokers what to do over the Internet share some traits with fundamentalist religious nutcakes IMO. I cannot possibly harm you in any way, so why bother telling someone else what is right and what isn't? Do I tell you to put that Burger away?

Not that I'm not aware of my environment, but sometimes I think all this no smoking nonsense grew so popular because it gave people the impression that they now have the right to tell others what to do.

I'd say that the most avid non smoking advertisers would have no problem living in a totalitarian regime.

/swek

All you people who are telling smokers what to do over the Internet share some traits with fundamentalist religious nutcakes IMO. I cannot possibly harm you in any way, so why bother telling someone else what is right and what isn't? Do I tell you to put that Burger away?

Not that I'm not aware of my environment, but sometimes I think all this no smoking nonsense grew so popular because it gave people the impression that they now have the right to tell others what to do.

I'd say that the most avid non smoking advertisers would have no problem living in a totalitarian regime.

/swek

I'm not telling anyone what to do, nor have I seen anyone else tell anyone to quit (although I did not read every single post). I only said that I'm not a smoker for health reasons - because ever since I was a kid I saw what it can do to your face. I also pointed out the monetary cost of smoking to both the smoker as well as those most never consider, such as their employer and the taxpayer.

I never said anyone should stop smoking, I only pointed out the consequences for continuing to do so. One could also say that smokers suckle healthcare for self-inflicted conditions from the tit of the government or insurance companies and for some reason expect non-smokers to pay for their self destructive habit while demanding that the majority (non-smokers) build special rooms in airports for them and put up with their stink and foul breath without complaint. When non-smokers slap a tax on your cancer sticks there are cries of foul play as we, the non-smokers, attempt to recover some of our money that was wasted on treating preventable self-inflicted disease.

But hey, however you want to spin it works for me. If the harm from smoking was limited to the person sucking on the cancer-stick then I really would not care, but many more people are affected beyond that.

EDIT: Wait a second. Assuming your premise is true (and it's not, but let's accept it for the moment), smokers are the ones who have more in common with the religious fundamentalists nut cakes. Let's take a look, shall we? The Fundies are a minority. Smokers are a minority. Fundies blow them selves up in crowded places and take others with them. Smokers kill themselves slowly while emitting a cloud of carcinogens that affect everyone nearby. So who is like the fundies again?

Last edited:
That Burger (i.e. unhealthy food) argument just doesn't fly. Same goes for the "but drinking is bad too" argument, commonly used by smokers. When you see people devouring a burger or chugging a beer, it's not harmful to your health in any way.

I have yet to see someone die or get sick from second-hand drinking or eating...

/swek

Yes you can. I am allergic to smoke and use contact lenses. Smoke near me and my eyes will get very red and watery. My nose closes and I start to sneeze a lot. As long as I care, you can do whatever you want with yourself, but not near me.
Also, nothing annoys me more than eating feeling the nice taste of smoke.

That Burger (i.e. unhealthy food) argument just doesn't fly. Same goes for the "but drinking is bad too" argument, commonly used by smokers. When you see people devouring a burger or chugging a beer, it's not harmful to your health in any way.

I have yet to see someone die or get sick from second-hand drinking or eating...

Of yourse we have to consider quantity if we use your argument. Great ammounts of unhealthy food on a regular basis costs the taxpayer money and will harm your health.

If we use personal expiriences here I have to say that I haven't seen anyone dying from second hand smoke either. Same applies to active smokers btw. Not that I'd ever say smoking isn't harmful or possibly deadly. Just my personal observations so far.

And let me make this clear. I'm not a "I have to smoke here by all means" type. I just have a problem with a) strangers telling me what to do and b) smoking restrictions in the most bizarre places like open trainstations.

Last edited:
If smoking is so damn bad.. (i'm not saying it's good here.. don't get me wrong)

MAKE IT TOTALLY ILLEGAL.

BAN cigarettes, ban companies that produce them, ban the growing of tobacco.

force everyone to quit.

stop nickle and dimeing people rights to do what they want away. just do it an get it over with.

Thing is.. smokers in canada pay more in taxes for their cigs, than they consume in healthcare related costs.. net profit system for gov't.. so it will NEVER go away.. too much $$$ involved.

but.. when cigs are gone.. then "they" will come for your whiskey, your scotch, your big mac and your now "transfat free" cookies.. (dammit.. i like my transfats! they're tasty!)

i'm just waiting until the scientists figure out how to clone dinosaurs so i can have a nice brontosarus burger, but probably won't be able to because some stupid laws saying we can't eat cloned meat, probably forced on us by the same people who say we can't have a smoke lest we risk getting cancer and cost the public insurance system money.. like smoking is the only way to get cancer apparently..

getting cancer is kinda the last fun thing you can do..

being out in the sun.. fun..
inhaling toxic fumes from cars exhaust on race tracks.. fun..
welding.. fun
eating bbq'd food.. fun
drinking.. fun
having a smoke with a drink.. fun..

they should just out and ban fun and we'd all live forever.

MAKE IT TOTALLY ILLEGAL.

BAN cigarettes

Some years ago, it was implemented a rule in Norway by the government - smoking was banned in all restaurants.
Its nice to go out and eat a good meal without being pested by all the grey smoke.

"MAKE IT TOTALLY ILLEGAL."

The taxman might have something to say about that. The tax revenue from tabacco in the UK is ?10.5 Bn now to me thats a heck of a lot of money. Here is another interesting statistic

"Tobacco taxation amounts to ?10.5 billion per year whereas a figure for NHS spending on tobacco related disease is ?1.7 billion"

Yes.
Started when I was 18 just by smoking with mates when we were out drinking and partying.

Then came the army
2weeks of service and I was a full time smoker. Because of the stress. Everyone is stressed so everyone shouts at eachother. You do one small mistake and you have an entire batallion screaming at you, 3 of the people being Generals. :lol: You are 18 years old and the guy that shouts at you the most is a dude that was in your class in high school... he has the right to shout at you because he started his military service 6months earlier. ^_^ And you can't scream back at him cuz you're a "at the very bottom" and naturally, shit doesn't fly away. :bow:
New recruits are at the bottom.

I am pissed off at myself that I am now a smoker. But I still enjoyed smoking those cancer rolls during my brakes whenever we were out in the woods crawling in mud. It was so goddam relaxing!

I have decided to try and stop smoking... again. Last week I was 3days without a single smoke. Last summer I was 2weeks without smoking. Some day I will make it happen :p but today is not the day.goes out :whistle:

Last edited:
Some years ago, it was implemented a rule in Norway by the government - smoking was banned in all restaurants.
Its nice to go out and eat a good meal without being pested by all the grey smoke.

And let me make this clear. I'm not a "I have to smoke here by all means" type. I just have a problem with a) strangers telling me what to do and b) smoking restrictions in the most bizarre places like open trainstations.
As long as I can't smell it and I don't have to clean the butts and ashes, smoke whenever you want, whatever you want, as much as you want.
But if I was by your side in an open train station and you lit a cigarette, rest assured I would ask you to put it out or move as far as possible.
Yes, it is THAT annoying to me.
Yes, I am THAT big of an asshole.