2008 Chevy Malibu revealed

the exterior actually looks very awful. The interior is a bit better though

I don't want to sound rude but could you explain why you believe that the exterior looks awful? I am looking for specific gripes....

The shots I have seen above - fake wood notwithstanding (please GM drop this option please please please) - I feel show more good decision making at GM. I once posted that US customers should demand better panel fit, better MPG and they have the right to decent interiors. These above look really rather nice. This car, from its pics only - (I have not and probably will never be able to see the real thing) seems to be a sensible choice for Mr and Mrs America IMHO. It seems to have a bit of the Vauxhall/Opel conservative design we have come to know but in a serious American way. I hope that they deliver cars that live up to these pics. Actually I hope they beat my expectations.

By the way it looks externally a cross between our Vectra and a Mondeo with an American twist. Obviously not for enthusiasts who would always prefer their Manual Imprezas anyway - hell I do. ---V

Last edited:
Whatever it is, it looks like shit.

A split-grill design can look good - but this one is poorly executed.

Would it lool better if the bar was not as thick? No bar at all? In other Chevrolet models the bar across the grill is usually not as thick.

the exterior actually looks very awful. The interior is a bit better though

would you have rather had last years model???

Chevy_Malibu_Maxx_Front.jpg

alt04.jpg

Actually last years model looked like this:
http://img297.imageshack.**/img297/9610/chevroletmalibumaxxqt5.jpg

They took that big chrome bar out and redesigned it slightly.

Here is the smaller bar on the current Cobalt:
http://img297.imageshack.**/img297/3834/chevroletcobaltcoupejo8.jpg

Would it lool better if the bar was not as thick? No bar at all? In other Chevrolet models the bar across the grill is usually not as thick.

i think a thiner bar, or a revised grill all together would make the car alot cleaner flowing. as far as that bar goes, i think if it were tidyed up, they could have a really good seller here that might help them improve their image. However, i say all this but every time i look at the picture i'm getting more used to it being there, and it's almost starting to seem right.

i think a thiner bar, or a revised grill all together would make the car alot cleaner flowing. as far as that bar goes, i think if it were tidyed up, they could have a really good seller here that might help them improve their image. However, i say all this but every time i look at the picture i'm getting more used to it being there, and it's almost starting to seem right.

I'm guessing if they get a cold response when the car is released fixing something like that will not be too difficult in the coming years.

Actually last years model looked like this:
http://img297.imageshack.**/img297/9610/chevroletmalibumaxxqt5.jpg
They took that big chrome bar out and redesigned it slightly.
actually that improved it alot, why would they try to put the bar back in when they took it off the last one for asthetic purposes??? the body was still funny looking to me.

I'm guessing if they get a cold response when the car is released fixing something like that will not be too difficult in the coming years.

lol, i guess they design weird things into the body like that just so they can keep the designers busy.... i was kinda figuring they would do it right the first time, but then there would be nothing left for the facelift. oh well, this one is still growing on me and i'm happy to see the old one go.

^ Bloody hell they took bland to a whole new level actually, not even Vauxhall/Opel would be this bland - this years is much much better (pic opinion only).

Well here is where the front end came from:

http://img207.imageshack.**/img207/1840/2003chevroletssconcept0dz1.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.**/img207/7827/2003chevyssconceptcarfrxz3.jpg

2003 Chevrolet SS concept. The second photo is how the concept looked when it was first unveiled to the public. Seems that they changed the front end on the concept after a few months to what you see in the first photo.

Last edited:
Putting into consideration whatever this thing will cost (ie; cheap), I do like it :)

I starred at that split grill wanting to find fault with it but I honestly can't. On this car, I think it works well. So do flarred wheel arches which don't always work on some cars.

I like how the bonnet opening is pushed so far back from the front lights. It looks quite different. I like the chrome around the foggys on the top spec model. That gives it a more upmarket look.

The rear kinda looks Nissan/Infiniti but I don't mind it. Its got a good ol' sharp edged rear end rather than the smooth curvacious arses we've become use to seeing on Euro cars.

Again considering the likely price, the interior is decent. I like how they've bothered to give it some design flare - the curvey two tone dash is a nice touch (in the right colours).

Well, at least there's no fake wood.

It's an option.;)
Well thats an option I won't tick :lol:

Looks much better with the brushed metallic aluminiumey look :) This car kinda reminds me of the VE Commodore with its flared wheel arches, purposefull arse and relatively stylish interior.

I approve :thumbup:

btw - I've just finished watching that episode of Overhaulin where they do up a '67 Malibu...its kinda weird to see what a Malibu is today :|

hmmm, that bar worked on that car, it was a downward facing grill and there was no air dam. that air dam below on the malibu might be what is causing the asthetic issues with me.

I don't want to sound rude but could you explain why you believe that the exterior looks awful? I am looking for specific gripes....
the grille was mentioned, and i'll mention it again. There are far too many creases here and there especially in the headlight and hood area. They make the front end look very busy and generally unattractive. From the side it looks strikingly like the Dodge Avenger concept, which itself was no looker. The flared wheel arches are too big for their own good and in the rear the doors and fuel filler cap even have to cut into them. Then the back looks just like a scaled down version of the last Infiniti G35 or various past Mitsubishi's. I know nowadays you can say lots of cars look similar to others, but the rear of the Malibu looks so out of place in relation to the rest of the body.
And the ultra shiny wheels dont look as cool as they want you to think

Here are the interiors with the wood option:

http://img218.imageshack.**/img218/5953/2008malibuhr05dl2.jpg
http://img218.imageshack.**/img218/6465/2008malibuhr06eh2.jpg

Seems that they didn't go too far overboard with it.

it's a very acheivable interior, they didn't overdue it. let's hope they down't dumb it down more because it would just lose it's effect.

Wow they really didn't go overboard with it. Thats a good thing because we know the wood they use are of low quality and when they use it in large quantity, it brings the interior levels down, IMO.

Although it looks ok, I'd still not tick that box.
And the ultra shiny wheels dont look as cool as they want you to think
Oh yeah didn't notice them...those chrome wheels on the basic model look shit. Theres my one gripe about them.

it's a very acheivable interior, they didn't overdue it. let's hope they down't dumb it down more because it would just lose it's effect.

The photos are of the production vehicle. What you see is what you will get.

http://img218.imageshack.**/img218/5953/2008malibuhr05dl2.jpg
That interior just screams: old people! :lol:
The second from the top on the first page is the one I would have.

OK that fake wood is minimal - I forgive GM for that, just. But then why bother who is going to sit there and say "Oooh it would look better with a thin strip of crap plastic wood just around the edge". If they do then show them out of your showroom, dealers, and send them somewhere else - like the hospital for the chronically tasteless.