Saddam Hussein will be hung by Sunday

I wait for the first guys using it as an avatar "because it makes you feel so good see somebody be murdered"

I do not think "murdered" is the right word here. There was a clear legal process, a complete trial, and an even clearer appeal. I realize that you are against capital punishment, but I just do not see how this can be defined as murder. He was killed, but murder implies that he was done so with criminal intent, and that is just not the case.

Saddam is dead, I was confused, I thought that the execution would be a lot more formal than a whole bunch of people in black head covers cursing and yelling and then the hanging. I though it would be a whole lot more formal.

That's the sad thing about this whole conflict. The former strongman got replaced by another group of strongmen. It is the same thing over again, this time with a weaker government and more sectarian tension. What we're seeing now was bound to happen in Iraq, with or without America invading. The hanging itself was horrible mismanaged. Why in the world would the Iraq government allow the whole thing to unfold like it did. The prayers being read to him were Shiite prayers, he was taunted by Sadrists and had a full out argument with one of them, and his last prayer was interrupted by his body falling to it's death. I feel no sympathy that he went out that way, lord knows that's what he did to hundreds of thousands of his victims, I feel sorry for the Iraqis that have to suffer through this bullshit. Two groups of countrymen are killing each other because they aren't sure what some guy that died 1400 years decided to make his heir to the Islamic world. The Kurds are going to come back and bite Turkey and Syria in the ass due to their new found strength and autonomy. Their region is the only one in Iraq that is pretty peaceful. They're going to concentrate on forming what could be one of the strongest countries in the region, Kurdistan. Could anyone have kept Iraq together after Saddam? Who knows. As it is, Iraq is going to be worse off than Somalia for the next few years, especially after the eminent American withdrawal. This civil war may spill outside of Iraq in the form of Iranian/Arab intervention. It's a pretty grim, depressing picture.

I do not think "murdered" is the right word here. There was a clear legal process, a complete trial, and an even clearer appeal. I realize that you are against capital punishment, but I just do not see how this can be defined as murder. He was killed, but murder implies that he was done so with criminal intent, and that is just not the case.

The trial was a farce. This is coming from a person that supported the occupation and was hoping for Iraq to be a beacon for democracy and justice. The appeals process was a joke. The defense team submitted thousands of documents as part of their appeal. There is no way all of them were read through and considered in the time that the rejection came back. Again, not defending Saddam, just sad that the judiciary is no where near fair.

Again, it would have been better for him to have been a) kept alive for a bit longer and milked of information, b) at least tried for the Anfal campaign. Oh well.

Indeed, to cover the whole "Saddam person", it would need like ten years, a small army of lawyers, truckloads of paper and lots, lots of dirty laundry of "politically correct" countries all over the world.
The only news we heard about the trial was stuff like "Saddam was angry" and "the defense said something". Compare that to the Yuguslavia tribunal...

I'm sure Saddam was unrealistic hope for some fighters, just like Hitler would been if he had escaped Berlin. Slight unbalancing effect now but stabilisating on the longer run.

Trial that Saddam got I think was far beyond I could have think beforehand, considering what he did in his rule and how brutal man he was. Without USA face to loose, Saddam would have been chopped into small piaces just like what happened to some people near Saddam.

This trial brought into my mind big political party meeting in which I think cigar smoking Saddam had just recently got power.
People applauded to his speech and once in a while Saddam announced name in the hall who rised wildly to praise Saddam(desperate last act) while security took him out and shot him. So they went, one by one to death, with praises and and applauds. Bit like with Stalin, people didnt even dare to stop clapping hands.

.....and I still think the US wanted a fast trial because it wasn?t too good if the trial went back to the time when Saddam and the USA were close friends......

I wanted him to be a human New Year's ball. Oh well, had to settle for the real thing.

Saddam is dead, I was confused, I thought that the execution would be a lot more formal than a whole bunch of people in black head covers cursing and yelling and then the hanging. I though it would be a whole lot more formal.

I assumed that they wore the head covers because they didn't want to be identified. I beleive that there are still Saddam supporters in Iraq? They'd probably go after the people who did the hanging. I could be wrong though...

some liberal rag said:
Ellis claimed the toppled tyrant, who ruled Iraq by killings and torture for 24 years, told him how he used to read bedtime stories to his kids.

When he was allowed short visits outside jail, Saddam would feed the birds crusts of bread saved from his meals.

Yeah, and hitler was painter and a vegetarian. Doesn't make up for the fact that they were both vile, despicable gangsters.

Funny thing about evil meglomaniacs...they really dont think that their actions are evil or bad.

The trial was a farce. This is coming from a person that supported the occupation and was hoping for Iraq to be a beacon for democracy and justice. The appeals process was a joke. The defense team submitted thousands of documents as part of their appeal. There is no way all of them were read through and considered in the time that the rejection came back. Again, not defending Saddam, just sad that the judiciary is no where near fair.

Again, it would have been better for him to have been a) kept alive for a bit longer and milked of information, b) at least tried for the Anfal campaign. Oh well.
The trial might not have been the best one ever conducted, but Saddam really didn't help himself much with all those in-court outlashes. They probably rejected the appeal just so they wouldn't have to put up with that crap again.

I also agree that he should have been tried for other crimes. If nothing else, just to bring peace of mind to his victims' families.

"I don't think he thought it was real," Gustavo said of Saddam's hanging. "They showed them putting the noose around his neck and everything. Why show that on TV?"
WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU LETTING YOUR KID WATCH THAT?! sad, sad, sad story.

Well, I would encourage my kid to keep up with actuality... I guess he just wanted to try it and then slipped or something.

Reminds me of a riot a couple of years ago (In the UK, if I remember well) where schoolchildren hanged each other for a couple of minutes "for the kick". It wasn't that funny anymore though when a couple of those kids tried it alone and died.

Heh so you'd all let your children watch innocent kidprogrammes even while they are genuinely interested in the news on television? I'd encourage it... The sooner they start to be interested in the world around them, the sooner they will understand it and be able to make their way around. This is just a sad incident but I wouldn't blame the parents at all.