America's new love: the Vauxhall Vectra!

Steve Levin

Master of Disaster
Car(s)
Spec Racer Ford!
It's true. With pretty little Saturn badges on it, Autoweek magazine has proclaimed the Vectra as the "North America Car of the Year."

I am so mortified! I do anticipate JC using it as a 'news bludgeon' of sorts, though.

Steve

Not sure this deserves a topic in this section. You must also remember that the Saturn Aura is built in the US by General Motors, a US company.

Yes, but the Aura is basically a Vectra in a hat ;)

my mum used to have one as a work car "Holden Vectra" and it was pretty ordinary, it didn't do anything special but it didn't do anything wrong.

jetsetter may be right on placement - but I agree on the substance. Just because its built in an American factory doesn't make it any less a Vectra. I thought Autoweek would know better. <sigh>

Autoweek magazine has proclaimed the Vectra as the "North America Car of the Year."
You seem to imply that any of these "Car of the year" promoters have any merit.

The Aura is basically Saturn's version of the Camry

You must realize that for the US to vote the Vectra/Aura as car of the year, it shows how bad everything else we have is...so you folks living elsewhere are very lucky indeed.

The Vectra is just a car, it is not good, it is not bad. It is really perfect as a fleet car. JC seems a little over the top in his hatred for it.

Well, that's why he hates it. He said it feels like it was designed by people who couldn't care less about cars.

yeah plus autoweek is one of the worst cars mags in the us.

whenever you read it, you always wonder how much did the big three pay autoweek to give their cars a better rating. a billion dollars at least.

I think that the previous Vectra was worse (if that is possible) than the Cavalier the car it replaced and I think that JC really went for that one big time. The next Vectra was an OK car, yes very Camry like in that it was a tool, inteded to get the reps of Britain from meeting to meeting up and down the motorways nothing more. Then later came the face lift and the Vectra VXR torque steer and all. My guess is that you have got a modified one with softer springing, bigger engines and lots of autos rather than "sticks".

References :

VXR -
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/vxr/flash/index.html

Vectra -
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/carsan...C&scope=S&brandName=newVectra&source=homePage

The Vectra is sold as an Opel in most European countries, a Vauxhall in Britain, a Chevrolet in Latin America, a Holden in Australia, and a Saturn in the United States. All of these brands are owned by GM, which is a US company.

The Vectra is sold as an Opel in most European countries, a Vauxhall in Britain, a Chevrolet in Latin America, a Holden in Australia, and a Saturn in the United States. All of these brands are owned by GM, which is a US company.

Do you have a point, other than using the phrase "which is a US company" again, which i remember off the top of my head you using in 4 or 5 posts in the last few weeks? Two in this thread alone, even.

Do you have a point, other than using the phrase "which is a US company" again, which i remember off the top of my head you using in 4 or 5 posts in the last few weeks? Two in this thread alone, even.

So? The phrase is still correct. I am trying to get people to realize that companies like Holden and Opel are not separate and unconnected. They are all General Motors so in turn they are really all US brands. More than likely GM would like to eliminate all the names and just label everything "GM" but they can't due to local attachments to names. Ford does not have that problem though.

GM is a global corporation with different divisions, we get the idea. Just as GM nails different badges to the same car and calls it a new car, you've beaten that horse many times. You just don't know when to quit, do you?

This "Steve Levin" asked the question and I gave the answer. Not sure what is the big deal here........ And to the quiting, I'll stop when people stop responding.

Nobody asked a question.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to find a topic about flying so i can tell everyone that the sky is blue.

Pretty much every argument for/against American cars is tired and overplayed. And Jetsetter is more serious about it than most. But if we were to give up because of this alone, then the entire Internet has no reason to exist. In fact, I think of FinalGear as an oasis of sanity...