Problems with ATi Radeon 9200

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
So, I just received the ATi Radeon 9200 (AGP) that I bought on eBay, and I've been having a few driver-related problems with it.

This is my setup

Code:
Card +-> VGA out -> LCD monitor, primary (non-DVI)
     +-> DVI out -> DVI-VGA adapter -> CRT monitor, secondary

1. Make backup image of system partition (OS and apps)

2. Uninstall old VGA card drivers, shut down, change BIOS settings, unplug everything, open up case, install AGP card, put everything back together, plug in, start up.

3. I first attempted to install the latest drivers from ATi, but they just fail with a useless, non-descriptive "INF Error". I downloaded it a second to be sure that the first driver file wasn't somehow corrupted. It failed the second time.

4. Then, I attmpted to install the drivers from the included CD, but...the disc is corrupt! I did managed to install it by finding online, the one file that appeared to be corrupted, and I also got the driver installed, but the CRT was blurry (like looking at a monitor through someone else's glasses) and, after rebooting, the display failed completely. I tried copyring the files off the CD several times on multiple computers, and it failed every time at different points during the copy operation, so there were very likely other files from the CD that were corrupt.

5. Restored backup image (couldn't uninstall old driver because Windows ignores it if the corresponding hardware doesn't exist)

6. Installed latest compatible Omega drivers for my card. Yay, it installed, but I'm still having problems.

I cannot change the refresh rate for the CRT (secondary video) above 60Hz when I use 1152x864. I can select "85Hz", or whatever other options there are, but the refresh rate won't actually change. The screen will go black for a second, as per normal, but the refresh rate won't change. I know this because I can physically see the difference between 60Hz and 85Hz and because my monitor's OSD tells me the refresh rate that it's actually receiving. The monitor is capable of displaying at this capacity because 1152x864@85Hz is the exact configuration I used for this monitor before I installed this new card.

Whoop! OK, I fiddled around with the settings (chose a lower resolution with a higher refresh rate, which works, then I worked my way up through the resolutions, colour depths, and refresh rates) and suddenly 1152x864@85 works now...but it's all blurry again :(

I've tested the DVI-VGA adapter on another computer, and the display through it is perfectly clear. I even did a clean install of Windows XP with nothing but the chipset and VGA drivers and, still, the display is blurry!

I don't know what else to do :(

Last edited:
What were you upgrading from? Onboard/integrated video?

The pre-CCC drivers always worked best for me. Besides, the 9200 is a really old card so it won't benefit much from the new drivers.
I've tried all the drivers I can get my hands on, including ones that use the ATi Control Center rather than Catalyst. I've been able to narrow down to:

1. The card is defective, or...
2. This is a common problem with this card

Every time I've ever tried to configure dual-displays with ATi cards, I've had problems very similar to this. The eBay seller I bought it from offered an exchange, but I'm not sure it's worth it to pay shipping two ways, plus the original shipping paid, plus duties and taxes...I'll end up paying the worth of the card in shipping!

Maybe I should just resell it someone who doesn't need a dual-display setup instead.

Opinions?

The 9200 is a pretty weak card. Maybe you could add a PCI video card to get a dual-monitor setup.

The 9200 is a pretty weak card. Maybe you could add a PCI video card to get a dual-monitor setup.
That's the setup I currently have that I'm trying to replace.

VIA/S3G UniChrome with 64MB Shared RAM on-board card
PCI S3 Savage4 32MB PCI card

They're both pretty weak cards.

The seller has agreed to refund it, so thanks for the links, CVG.

Last edited: