Police Probe Water Intoxication Death

I actually live in Sacramento. But I am not sure that people realize that it is really about quantity. You take too much of anything and you can die.

Yes, they should. I heard audio clips of this, and the words the idiot DJ's and their interns said make them criminally negligent. A nurse even phoned the station satying this was dangerous, to which the DJ's just brushed it off. I mean, too much water means too little sodium, and your brain starts to swell. Simple research by the radio station could have prevented this. Anything in excessive amounts, even water, can be deadly.

Dee dee dee!

Of course the station should be held liable, but seeing that the 18 contestants individually signed a release, its not the stations responsibility. It has only destroyed the stations image.
What a bunch of idiots are the contestants- all for a Wii. :bangin:

They absolutely should. They did this publicity stunt knowing full well how dangerous it could be. I wonder if they passed this information along to the people doing the stunt? If they didn't, everyone responsible for making the stunt happen should be tried for manslaughter.

Another DJ laughed: "Yeah, they signed releases, so we're not responsible. We're OK."

"Hey, Carter, is anybody dying in there?" a DJ asked during the show. "We got a guy who's just about to die," the other responded, and all the DJs laughed.

"I like that we laugh about that," another said.

"Make sure he signs the release. ... Get the insurance on that, please."
That's just shocking and appalling! Their total lack of respect for the people sickens me! :jawdrop: If ever someone deserved a good beating... :mad:

That's just shocking and appalling! Their total lack of respect for the people sickens me! If ever someone deserved a good beating...

Kajun, I think its pretty safe to say they were joking. That was before anyone had actaully died. It's a radio show thats how they get an audience, I think thats a really funny quote from the dj's. Its just too bad about what happened after.

They absolutely should. They did this publicity stunt knowing full well how dangerous it could be.

Exactly. They joked about it on the show, and a nurse even called and warned them. So they knew there was a risk. And honestly... everyone knows (or at least should know) that too much of anything is bad for you.

Why couldn't they just have one of those "Keep your hand on *whatever*, last one standing wins" contests.... Oh cause wee and wii rhyme!!11!2 LOLOLOLOLOL.

/idiot DJs need to DIAF.

Why should the radio station be held responsible? It's not like they misled the contestants - they knew exactly what they were getting in for. Sure, they should have done their homework better and realised that people could be harmed or even die, but then the contestants should have known that too.

It's time people took responsibility for their own actions - the contestants weren't forced to do anything against their will.

Opie and Anthony, the guys who got fired for having a contest that ended up having a couple having sex in St. Patrick's Cathedral, talk about this a few times. The more and more i hear of it, i think what a tragic thing for the kids to have to talk about. All this for a some game station, just buy it. How dumb to you have to be to say "all i have to do is not pee after drinking lots of water and il be on the radio for the world to hear." What is really horrible, is she didn't even win, she was in second place. She won tickets to justin timberlake.

I'm sure there a lot of people who wouldn't think drinking too much water could kill you (as opposed to drinking too much alcohol). What i'd like to know is if these waivers or releases they signed mentioned the dangers involved.

Kajun, I think its pretty safe to say they were joking. That was before anyone had actaully died. It's a radio show thats how they get an audience, I think thats a really funny quote from the dj's. Its just too bad about what happened after.
These guys are pretty sick if they're joking about someone possibly dying from something so dangerous. Hell they even mentioned it killed a college student back in 05. To me it sounds like they're completely irresponsible and reckless.

Think of it this way. If you were at a race and there was a big crash, would you start joking about the driver probably being dead? Of course not. At least I would hope not.

no they shouldn't.

if they held a bicycle contest, the contestants could've fell on their head and be dead as well

the woman just should've stopped drinking

Think of it this way. If you were at a race and there was a big crash, would you start joking about the driver probably being dead? Of course not. At least I would hope not.

Kajun, Again this isn't even close to the same example. Laughing at a dead person is completely different than laughing at a person who is drinking obscene amounts of water. Does anyone know if the departed won the the prize?

Kajun, Again this isn't even close to the same example. Laughing at a dead person is completely different than laughing at a person who is drinking obscene amounts of water. Does anyone know if the departed won the the prize?
I don't see how it is. I asked if people would laugh at the race driver probably being dead, not actually being dead. This is exactly the same thing the guys on the radio did:

"Hey, Carter, is anybody dying in there?" a DJ asked during the show. "We got a guy who's just about to die," the other responded, and all the DJs laughed.

"I like that we laugh about that," another said.

It just seems wrong to me that they knew the people could very well die and they were laughing about it. What's worse is that this was broadcast so that anyone listening could hear (sort of like the kids hanging themselves after watching the Saddam video on the news.) I agree that the contestants should have known better, but did the radio station have to make them drink so much water? I mean, wouldn't they have gotten the same effect with a much safer amount?

What really angers me is that they staged this dangerous stunt to promote their station. They were using the danger to lure in listeners. Yet when it went wrong, they suddenly didn't want any part of it anymore. They were irresponsible for hosting such a dangerous event, irresponsible in their respect for life when they laughed at the danger, and irresponsible when it came to the tragic consequences.

By the way, the dead woman only got the 2nd place prize.

I'm sure there a lot of people who wouldn't think drinking too much water could kill you (as opposed to drinking too much alcohol). What i'd like to know is if these waivers or releases they signed mentioned the dangers involved.

yeah, I'm sort of rethinking my whole drinking 6-8 liters of water a night while at work thing.:blink:

I don't see how it is. I asked if people would laugh at the race driver probably being dead, not actually being dead. This is exactly the same thing the guys on the radio did

This is not exactly the same thing. In a crash there is a high chance of death whereas the chances of dying from drinking a lot of water are extremely slim.

This is not exactly the same thing. In a crash there is a high chance of death whereas the chances of dying from drinking a lot of water are extremely slim.

by extremely slim you mean extremely likely. partially because people dont seem to think the stuff you cant go three days without would be harmful if you drank alot of it, and neither does you'r body because its difficult to trigger the barf reflex with water. There just arent meny situations where you'd drink multiple gallons of anything.

Last edited:
by extremely slim you mean extremely likely. partially because people dont seem to think the stuff you cant go three days without would be harmful if you drank alot of it, and neither does you'r body because its difficult to trigger the barf reflex with water. There just arent meny situations where you'd drink multiple gallons of anything.

I'll stand by my statement that the chances of death are extremely slim. How many people have there been dying from drinking too much? I can think of this one and possibly 1 more. I'm sure these contests happen quite regularly and I in fact have taken part in something similar with no ill consequences.

I'll stand by my statement that the chances of death are extremely slim. How many people have there been dying from drinking too much? I can think of this one and possibly 1 more. I'm sure these contests happen quite regularly and I in fact have taken part in something similar with no ill consequences.

if they'd put some sugar in the water, the woman would've been fine

you can drink loads of milk, it won't kill you
the problem with water is that it contains nothing that your body needs (except for the fluid), and since your cells are nutured with the principle of osmoses, and your blood becomes to watery, you cells are drained and you fall down, dead

Last edited:
I live in Sacramento as well and people are screaming for the station to be closed. They have canceled the morning show that was responsible (which I used to listen to before I got tired of crap like this). I just hope people learn a lesson from this... if you want to win a water drinking contest for a Wii, it's better to have more body weight.