Orange County May Consider Teen Curfew

Firecat

Politically Charged
I live in this county, but found this a little funny....

There has been a lot of violence in this area lately....

Orange County Commissioner Mildred Fernandez said she will propose a curfew to the county commission at a meeting in February.
Fernandez said a curfew is necessary because a growing number of juveniles have recently been arrested on drug and violent-crime charges.

Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary said in December that 84 percent of robberies in Orange County are committed by persons between the ages of 13 and 18. He had said he arrived at that figure following a six-week crime crackdown called Operation Street Sweeper.

Alright. I assume this curfew would be sometime at night, right?

Anyway, the Sheriff says...

"A lot of the burglaries are happening during the day time, and we're finding out that the majority are truants from school,"

:blink:

http://www.local6.com/news/10784500/detail.html

Curfuews are stupid. Really stupid. You judge not those who commit crime, but all those who don't commit crime.

It's a stupid, stupid way of dealing with crime. If they're to damned stupid to realize how stupid this is, I hope they become eaten by big crocodiles.

Interesting, I suppose. What's worse is that I think I've gotten more local news from you, firecat, than actually watching the local news.

But what about all those teens that go with their families to Disney World? Or possibly underaged college students (17 year olds?). I can see truants from Volusia getting into trouble...

Beary called the trend the "live-fast, die-young attitude."

Ha ha, lol.

I have to say, the biggest news for me in this thread is not the curfew, but that there's an Orange County in Florida, and that it also has a Disney theme park. What are the odds? :blink:

As has been stated they are punishing the innocent - probably because they really only want to save money on real Policing.

I thought every one knew that most burglaries occur in the afternoon after school and before the resident comes home. In America you would be barking mad to ransack a house with the owner on board - he may be armed to the teeth with fire arms and take great pleasure in blowing your head off.

I thought every one knew that most burglaries occur in the afternoon after school and before the resident comes home. In America you would be barking mad to ransack a house with the owner on board - he may be armed to the teeth with fire arms and take great pleasure in blowing your head off.
Probably aiming at the door at all time as well. :tease:

But you make an excelent point. They might have some sort of idea that they could be able to stop crime this way, but still, it might just be some idiot wanting to implement his/hers morals.

Furthermore, I don't see it helping. Other than towing in the innocent youths, maybe someone into crime, they'll probably have some problem taking experienced criminals. They'll probably be harder to catch. So by definition, if you catch someone, he is likely to be on his way to a mate with a movie and some crisps to watch it on a widescreen TV, since he's only got a 20yo 15" TV themselves.

You live in a country where most will get barking mad if someone opens his mouth saying that carrying a .357 double action in kindergarten might not be needed, but when someone tries to threat a group of society like citizens of low value, no one seems to talk about civil rights?

You live in a country where most will get barking mad if someone opens his mouth saying that carrying a .357 double action in kindergarten might not be needed, but when someone tries to threat a group of society like citizens of low value, no one seems to talk about civil rights?

That's most of Europe for you.

Well, I would appreciate examples. :)

French riots? Racism on a different level than in the US? You yourself mentioned the UK in your post to Cobol74 above. There is something I have always wondered about. In countries such as Germany or France there are no "French Nigerians" or "German Nigerians". Nigeria is just an example but it seems that it is one or the other. There is nothing like an "African American" or an "Mexican American". You are either European or you are not and that is one of biggest problems in France and one of the causes of the riots. If you don't embrace new people just a little bit they have no reason to try to fit in.

Interesting, I suppose. What's worse is that I think I've gotten more local news from you, firecat, than actually watching the local news.

lol....

You may remember a few months back some teens killed a few homeless people "for fun"...I believe yesterday, another 2 homeless men were killed down in St. Pete (by some kids again). It's really very sick, I don't know what the hell is going on with these youngsters.

A couple of days ago this 70 year old shot a burglar in his home. If I remember correct, they had hit him earlier before.

When I was in South Africa, a lot of family members had guns. One of my cousins shot a dude in the ass after when he broke into their home.

Jetsetter One slight difference between Europe and North America is that the people of a non European race came here of their own accord. The ancestors of your blacks at least did not have a choice. I think that it actually makes a psychological difference to the relationship between whites and non-whites. I will be the first to admit that there is both overt and cover racism in all European countries it would be stupid to deny it but in the UK at least I think that most people try to tolerate difference be it religious, race or political outlook. The preferred description of Black people is black, sometimes where it is important to distinguish people from the Caribbean and Africans we would say Afro Carribbeans and Black African. The phrase Black British has come in recently and is used to describe Black people who are first or possibly second generation British citizens (i.e. born here) but who are also Black. Asians are distinguished as South Asians (or Indians or Bangladeshis or Pakistanis) and Chinese which would cover people of the Mongoloid peoples appearance.

Well that is how I would use these terms but then there are Jade Goody types who are rather careless of people's feelings and ignorant. (You probably have to be a Brit to understand that one I am afraid).

Last edited:
A curfew is the stupidest way of controlling people. Not being allowed in public after X o'clock because you're not Y years old, just stupid and wrong. All it does is punish innocent people for what they might do.

French riots? Racism on a different level than in the US? You yourself mentioned the UK in your post to Cobol74 above. There is something I have always wondered about. In countries such as Germany or France there are no "French Nigerians" or "German Nigerians". Nigeria is just an example but it seems that it is one or the other. There is nothing like an "African American" or an "Mexican American". You are either European or you are not and that is one of biggest problems in France and one of the causes of the riots. If you don't embrace new people just a little bit they have no reason to try to fit in.
I'm not saying Europe is perfect. In the so called "Charicature case", muslims in some countries became furious over charicatures of the Prophet. One example is Denmark. They have a conservative government, who refused any attempt from Muslim leaders to talk about it, to get a plan on what to do, how to react, and so on. In Norway, on the other hand, the government talked to the leaders. One day later, religious leaders critizised those who used violence, at the same time, the PM stated that he found the drawings to be "in bad taste". Effect? No riots, no violence. Success.

The problem lays in the fact that many European countries seem to neglect the social differences, the fact that immigrants are overly represented in prisons, - at the same time, they have a hard time finding work, which is proven to cause crime - and that's a very serious thing to neglect. :)

My point is, you Americans are very used to fight for civil rights. But at the same time, it seems to me, that very few fights for the young. There is a quote, from a poem, by the Norwegian writer Arnulf ?verland.

"Du skal ikke t?le s? inderlig vel, den urett som ikke rammer deg selv."

Translated: "You shall not tolerate so well, the injustice that doesn't harm yourself."

It's quite good, in my mind. He was a strange bloke, but that quote, is one of my favorites, and it has a strong meaning. :)

They have to do something after canceling The O.C. Oh well, I grew up in Orange County and my city had a curfew, BFD.