GM developing new DOHC V8 engine

I don't know what BMW 2.5l I-6 you are talking about, but the one from 1985 already made 171hp, the new one makes 218hp.
And that Audi 2.7L Bi-Turbo V6 is supposed to make 250hp in the US trim and little more in Europe.

I don't know what BMW 2.5l I-6 you are talking about, but the one from 1985 already made 171hp, the new one makes 218hp.
The 2.5L I6 from the E36 made 170hp, in the E46/Z4 it made 184hp.

The Audi 2.7T made 225hp until this year, well 2006.

You serious? The 3.9 is an OHV engine and compared to the BMW engine much cheaper to produce. It is a high volume engine but it actually makes 242 horse power.

GM calls it the "high value" engine. Personally I think it should be called "the need to be replaced".

Why does Gm keep it's old push rod motors around? All other developed, and not so developed, nations get the newer "world v6." The engine is plenty capable of replacing any v6 currently in the gm stable.

I can't see how keeping the 3.9 (which is based on the 2.8/3.1/.34), the 3800(based on the old Buick/rover v8), the "world v6", and their truck Inline 4,5,6 engines, can be cost effective. Knock it down to just the world v6 and the truck engines and everyone benefits. Chassis engineers, (potential) customers, accountants, everyone benefits.

GM calls it the "high value" engine. Personally I think it should be called "the need to be replaced".

Why does Gm keep it's old push rod motors around? All other developed, and not so developed, nations get the newer "world v6." The engine is plenty capable of replacing any v6 currently in the gm stable.

I can't see how keeping the 3.9 (which is based on the 2.8/3.1/.34), the 3800(based on the old Buick/rover v8), the "world v6", and their truck Inline 4,5,6 engines, can be cost effective. Knock it down to just the world v6 and the truck engines and everyone benefits. Chassis engineers, (potential) customers, accountants, everyone benefits.
Well, maybe they have shitloads of them sitting in a warehouse. Or maybe they are waiting to launch the new V6 with their new line of Malibus and Impalas next year.

They are cheap and they last forever. In the Aura you can get a 3.5L V6 for the price of an I4 in other comparable models. In most vehicles the 3.6L DOHC V6 is replacing the pushrod engines. These models include the Aura, Malibu, etc.

Wikipedia
The second generation S4 debuted in 1997 as part of the B5 platform A4 line-up, although it wasn't available in North America until year 2000. The B5 S4 had a 2.7 L, twin-turbocharged V6 engine producing 265 PS (195 kW/261 hp) in European trim. The engine was slightly detuned to meet US emissions regulations, and power stopped at 250 hp / 258 ft.lbs. torque in North America.

That's the S4 motor dude, I'm talking about the A6 2.7T.

That's the S4 motor dude, I'm talking about the A6 2.7T.
You didn't say so and it's probably the same engine anyway, just tuned differently for different purposes. The current A6 does not even have that engine anymore(?) (checked the UK and US sites, might be available somewhere else).

In the previous RS 4 the same 2,7-litre engine, modified by Cosworth produced 380 hp, so...

sorry to tell you this, but the A6 motor is a detuned S4 motor.
Well, with different turbos, different manifolds, different heads, etc. They don't even look that similar. I'm talking about normal everyday cars, not their Sports Car flagship.

Everyone is so quick to jump on GM for detuning an engine like the 3.9L for everyday use, even though it can make nearly 400hp N/A and reliably. But nobody wants that in a FWD 4-door.

The 2.5L I6 from the E36 made 170hp, in the E46/Z4 it made 184hp.

Wrong again, 192hp for the E36 325i. If you wanna go on one of your Euro-bashing trips at least get your facts straight.

Well, with different turbos, different manifolds, different heads, etc. They don't even look that similar. I'm talking about normal everyday cars, not their Sports Car flagship.

Everyone is so quick to jump on GM for detuning an engine like the 3.9L for everyday use, even though it can make nearly 400hp N/A and reliably. But nobody wants that in a FWD 4-door.

lol detuned is detuned no matter how you look at it :p

I would assume the A6 version is tuned to run more smoothly and seemlessly and to get better fuel mileage then the S4....

lol detuned is detuned no matter how you look at it :p

I would assume the A6 version is tuned to run more smoothly and seemlessly and to get better fuel mileage then the S4....
Which means its a piece of shit because it doesn't make 380hp? Or Is the RS4 motor a piece of shit because it doesn't make 500hp like the DTM Audi? No, and GM's 3.9L V6 isn't a piece of shit either.

Which means its a piece of shit because it doesn't make 380hp? Or Is the RS4 motor a piece of shit because it doesn't make 500hp like the DTM Audi? No, and GM's 3.9L V6 isn't a piece of shit either.

dude.... read all my posts... i haven't once meantioned the 3.9 or called any engines a peice of shit....

wow man, you gotta settle. you're so caught up in what other people are saying that you're attempting to insult people who are helping explain differences in engines and why GM engines aren't bad.... think before you post man.

I wasn't talking to you directly even though I quoted you.

The 3.9 isn't a P.O.S. because of it's HP/torque per liter ratings, but because well, it's an engine in serious need of retirement. It never was all that good of an engine. I had a Camaro (2 actually) with the original version of that motor the 2.8. It's not particularly strong, reliable, fuel efficient, or emissions friendly.

GM should abandon all of it's engines that were put into production 15 years ago or prior. They have a perfectly good V6 in the "world v6" that can replace the 3300/3800, and the 2.8/3.1/3.4/3.8. The trucks got all new engine designs, why stick with them in their cars?

The LSx, it's cast iron variants, the Atlas series, Northstar and World V6's are all it needs. They'd probably save a boat load of cash using them instead of trying to stretch the old designs.

Well, they are putting the 3.6 in everything.

I don't know what 3800 series engine you had, but all of my experiences with them have proved that you really have to be trying to kill that engine. 3800s are bulletproof and they're known for that.

Much like the 2v 4.6 thats in my car, you cannot kill it unless you do something drastically stupid to them. Now the LS1 on the other hand... ;)

I don't know what 3800 series engine you had, but all of my experiences with them have proved that you really have to be trying to kill that engine. 3800s are bulletproof and they're known for that.
I agree, i had a 3800 and always thought the engine was great, it was the only reason i held onto the car as long as i did. coulda used a few more HP, but it ran perfect. more then i can say about the rest of the car though :p